Lift Axle Semi Trailers......interesting read

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there are a few truckers and people in related industries on here. Found this article interesting.

Lift-axle semi-trailers raise safety alarm

Fatal crashes prompt testing of device

RCMP and trucking industry officials are alarmed about the safety of certain lift-axle semi-trailers in the wake of two fatalities in Alberta.

Tests conducted two weeks ago showed trucks pulling trailers with some designs of lift axles take nearly twice as long to stop under some conditions and the weight on their axles reached levels that could overstress both axles and tires.

RCMP Cpl. Barry Red Iron, the RCMP's forensic collision reconstructionist for southern Alberta, said he began looking into lift axle truck safety after a May 25 crash near Granum in which one man was killed and another seriously injured when a motorcycle collided with a semi-trailer truck.

He said the lift-axle system was likely not a factor in that crash because the trailer was empty, but the Granum fatality and a second one in Calgary raised enough concern to prompt tests at Edmonton Garrison in May and at a testing facility in Hanna Sept. 14.

"There's a lot of systems out there and we started to look at them all," Red Iron said.

"It's cool to have a lift axle. It saves money and gas, but does it stop effectively when the wheels are up or down?"

Lift axles can be raised off the pavement to minimize wear and tear when the truck is unloaded.

Red Iron released the results to participants in the test Wednesday.

"I won't say they are unsafe, but they are not functioning as they should be."

Red Iron said he has shared his information with the province, but nothing has been done to address the issues raised by the tests.

"I tested back in May and the government was there," he said. "It's been four months and they've come to no conclusion. We tested again in September and nothing has really happened."

When asked what action he wanted government to take, Red Iron declined to comment.

The test results shocked truckers and owners of trucking firms. Some said the units that failed the test should be recalled and manufacturers should be advised of the issue and required to address it.

Allen Scraba, of ARS Trucking in Edmonton, said he fears some designs of lift axles are "worse than a ticking time bomb.

"We have a big issue here that has to be dealt with. Sooner or later when a big accident happens, we'll all say: 'We told you so.' "

Scraba, who drove one of the trucks in the Hanna test, said the lift axles on some units become a safety concern when fully-loaded trailers lose air in their suspension system. Rather than having five axles with braking power, the unit has to stop with two.

He said fixing the problem could be expensive. It could cost as much as $48,000 per unit and there are likely thousands of the trailers in Western Canada, he said.

It's not just the cost of repairs that would be problematic, but the cost of taking the units off the road, Scraba said. "It's not a little problem. It's massive."

Wes Clyne, a driver co-ordinator for Jetalta Transport, said he is concerned because the company just bought a number of lift axle trailers.

"We've started looking initially and I don't like what I see, but let's make sure we do good science," he said.

Clyne said there's already a shortage of tanker trailers in the province and if there's a recall or a ban on lift axles, it could have major consequences.

Provincial officials are downplaying the test results.

"Lift axles are certainly not inherently more dangerous than normal ones," Alberta Transportation spokesman Trent Bancarz said.

"If we believed they were dangerous equipment, we wouldn't allow it on our roads."

He said catastrophic air system failures are rare and drivers would likely be alerted to the problem by their instrument gauges.

"Even if you do get a situation where you have a catastrophic failure, you can still stop the vehicle," Bancarz said.

"Just because the air has gone out doesn't mean the truck will collide with anything."

But Vern Pooley, whose company Crude Services Inc. in Stettler operates about 60 semi-trailer units, called the test results "scary.

"Maybe a complete catastrophic air system failure is a rare thing, but when it does happen wouldn't you want to have that safety factor in the back of your mind that you are still going to be able to get stopped?"

Pooley said he is confident in the system on his trailers because it was tested before it was approved.

Rob Mantei of Mantei's Transport in Calgary said the test should be "an eye opener for the manufacturers.

"When we're hauling fuel down the road, which we do, we don't compromise safety. It's all about stopping. When you have a big load on like that, you have to be able to stop."

Alberta opposition parties called on the province to review the test data and take whatever steps are necessary to keep highways safe.

"I think one fatality is too many and I think the government should take a serious look at it and do more inspections," Liberal transportation critic Darshan Kang said. "We should have stringent safety measures in place and we should be enforcing them."

NDP MLA Rachel Notley said the government seems to be following the adage: "When in doubt, do nothing."

"It seems to me that first of all this isn't something we should be hearing from the RCMP. We should be hearing from the government," she said. "When you have a particular safety issue like this, you have to at least let the public know."

Some jurisdictions, like Quebec and California, don't allow mixed axle trailers on their roads.

Read more: Lift-axle semi-trailers raise safety alarm

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The article fails to explain the problem ??

The only thing I can surmise is that the lift axles go up if the trailers suddenly loose all air, and when the spring brakes dynamite, only 2-3 axles on a Super B are on the ground. (plus 3 axles on the tractor)

If this is the case it shouldn't cost $48,000 per trailer to fix, redesign the lift system to use air to lift the axles instead of lowering them.

Edit: (just watched the video) The video makes more sense, the article speaks of air loss and the video just says some systems just don't work.

Any truck driver would notice the major loss of stopping power and notice the change in ride as soon as the system fails.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like some sort of design problem according to the video. I remember when the early scissorneck tridem loboys first came out (w/air ride) they had flanges on each axle and on the underside of the frame so you could manually pin them up to reduce drag while empty. each axle had a separate air valve to manually isolate any axle and pin them up. someone at a desk decided this was a bad idea, and would lead to companies or drivers not running all axles down to save money on tires etc, and they were banned. all existing flanges had to be removed (from axels and frames). then after the big companies decided to fight this law, they repealed it and allowed the axles to be pinned up again (ever notice the blackies on the highway after a bump? those are from lifted axles making contact with the highway during suspension compression).

when a person would pin the scissorneck in the highboy position, the geometry of the suspension changed, and even aired up with all axles on the ground there was a big difference in separate axle weights in the tridem group with the front axle being very light, and rearmost axle bearing most of the carried weight, and the gov't came up with a regulation that each axle had to be within 10% of each other for carried weight. it seems very simple to me, weigh each of these super B's axles separately, and ban the ones that are not within the 10% gross on each axle as the law already dictates.....

mel.h

Reaction score
Teeroy tells it right. And another factor is if you have a 40,000 lb. tri-axle trailer running empty with 1 axle lifted you will still have adequate braking power, 2 axles lifted i would say is stupid. Same if you had a 40,000 lb. tandem axle trailer & lifted 1 axle, you do not have sufficient braking power. This is where the law should also look at changing some regulations. JMO & i know lots of people will not agree with this... sorry, but it is JMO.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An M/T Super B tanker like that would weigh about 6500kg or 14,000 lbs. (each trailer) So even with only one axle braking there is tons of stopping power.

Lift axles are a good safety feature, the normal problem with M/T Supers is trying to get them woed up on icy roads. That and climbing hills and pulling 5 axles through snow when M/T.

Lift axles solve both of those problems remarkably well, get lots of extra traction for slowing, and lifting those 2 forward axles on the bridge will put more weight on the drivers and get 3 axles out of the snow and less rolling resistance...

This would make Supers so much easier to pull in the winter !

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As you can see in the video the axles were not installed correctly!! the front one should not lift higher than the second!!! dosnt matter what your deck\tank angle is the suspension has to be installed in a flat level plane!!

When an owner spec's a trailer it is up to that person to give the ride height axle placement and weights to the trailer builder. If that person just buys out of a "line-up" then its like a hooker you dont know what you got!!

For example It can effect the whole air system if the brakes are 30 feet back or 50 feet back the air system has to be spec'd right so that all brakes apply at once. Air isnt instant it takes time for the last axle to get a signal.

No offence but this looks like a trucker and a welder built these POS. I have seen some designs from that combination and its allways a disaster. There are people that are trained to understand this they are called Commercial Transport Repair Techs.

Oh and i am one

Just my .02

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Funny how you hear about this now :Ponder: Lift axles have been around for years, more so in the oilfield around my neck of the woods but down east on the highways because of different GVW laws. With my experiences with manual lifts on a legally loaded tridem it would transfer up to 2000 kgs to the drive axle and create less drag for the trailer. A nice thing to have when behind a tow tractor.

Then the DOT became wise to this and figured that alot of guys were lifting axles when loaded causing premature road fatigue with over increased ground pressure and also excessive abuse to trailer suspension. Well no ch!t sherlock.

So the first deterrent for this was to catch you at the weigh scale. When loaded legal being a tandem, tridem, or SB and found with a manual lift axle they would have you lift it and presto...over weight ticket. You can imagine how fast news travelled with this tactic.

Then the DOT decided that running MT with lift axles would be ok and here we are today. http://www.wheelmonitor.com/downloads/AB-Axle-Lift-Device.pdf

Lift axles are a costly option but save majorly on tires and fuel for highway application. These are a mechanical device teamed with human judgement and we all know what that can lead to. So it was just a matter of time before something went wrong.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a little side bar , keep in mind that RCMP forensic experts are sketchy at best. These guys do their work and if their wrong, oh well, whoops.Independant engineering firms who live and die by the accuracy of their testing are a far more reliable source of informatio. The RCMP should stick to what they do best, handing out J walking tickets, and leave the testing to the professionals

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a little side bar , keep in mind that RCMP forensic experts are sketchy at best.

You did watch the video right ?

Basically only 2 axles on that Super B in the video had weight on them. (loaded) Scary SH!T. :eek:

The test results shocked truckers and owners of trucking firms. Some said the units that failed the test should be recalled and manufacturers should be advised of the issue and required to address it.

Allen Scraba, of ARS Trucking in Edmonton, said he fears some designs of lift axles are "worse than a ticking time bomb.

"We have a big issue here that has to be dealt with. Sooner or later when a big accident happens, we'll all say: 'We told you so.' "

Scraba, who drove one of the trucks in the Hanna test, said the lift axles on some units become a safety concern when fully-loaded trailers lose air in their suspension system. Rather than having five axles with braking power, the unit has to stop with two.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Naaa. was to lazy to watch the video... Iam sure it's interesting never the less.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
You did watch the video right ?

Basically only 2 axles on that Super B in the video had weight on them. (loaded) Scary SH!T. :eek:

That's not the way the system works. The axles only lift when the unit is empty.Two axles lifted on the bridge and one on the pup. Manually operated lifts are against the law here in Alberta. That video is misleading at best. I've use these systems. Weighed many loads on DOT scales, as axle groupings and individually for proper weight distribution. I personnelly think ALL the facts are not present in this case.

Last edited:

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That video showed a hack of a trailer builder. the axles were not installed right. God only knows what kind of air system is behind a F up like that!!?
For the post on tri axle scissor necks i have seen allot of carnage on those units. when scissored up to "highboy" there is very little pressure on the front 2 axles which wears out the brakes on the third and tires on the 2 front(skidding). The call usually come to me as" i cant keep tires on this POS and the brakes only work on one axle. can you check the alignment"
The only way these trailers scale the weight is because the scales run all 3 axles at once.
90 % of the weight is on 1 axle.
As pro drivers truckers need to know the facts and the coffee shop isnt the place to get them. Some of the old timers giving advice are as smart as a really smart toaster.
Not to take from the good ones by any means i know some pretty sharp guys who drive and own trucks.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not the way the system works.
The axles only lift when the unit is empty.Two axles lifted on the bridge and one on the pup.

Ahh, we know that, the whole point of the testing, newspaper artical, video and this thread is about how some of these automatic systems aren't working properly.

That video is misleading at best.

The guy simply says some of the systems aren't working properly, he was there for the testing... How is that, misleading at best ?

I personnelly think ALL the facts are not present in this case.

Ahh, OK.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That video showed a hack of a trailer builder.

Columbia trailers have a very good reputation for building Super B's, Ventures West puts zillions of miles a year on their fleet of them.

the axles were not installed right.

Hmm, maybe you should tell someone that because they all seem to think it's the lift system that's malfunctioning.

As pro drivers truckers need to know the facts and the coffee shop isnt the place to get them.

I think that was the point of the testing done in Hana, both in May and Sept.

Some of the old timers giving advice are as smart as a really smart toaster.

Really...

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
That video showed a hack of a trailer builder. the axles were not installed right. God only knows what kind of air system is behind a F up like that!!?
For the post on tri axle scissor necks i have seen allot of carnage on those units. when scissored up to "highboy" there is very little pressure on the front 2 axles which wears out the brakes on the third and tires on the 2 front(skidding). The call usually come to me as" i cant keep tires on this POS and the brakes only work on one axle. can you check the alignment"
The only way these trailers scale the weight is because the scales run all 3 axles at once.
As pro drivers truckers need to know the facts and the coffee shop isnt the place to get them. Some of the old timers giving advice are as smart as a really smart toaster.
Not to take from the good ones by any means i know some pretty sharp guys who drive and own trucks.

#1) The trailer is a Columbia Remtec (Surrey, BC.) and the lift axles are a Yak Lift Axle System (Edmonton, AB.) Both very proven and patented products.

#2) Sissor neck trailers when sissored up do put stress on the rear axle, that's a given with the angle of the trailer. Depending on the 5th wheel height on the tractor (54") bed truck (84"+) the angle can be greatly increased. Your allowed 24,000kgs legal and permit to 27,000kgs on a tridem trailer with a non divissable load. The weight distribution with common axle spacings doesn't put 90% of the weight on the rear axle if you spec your unit right. Pics are of a bridge beam and legal axle weights throughout and legal overhang. Wheel height is 60" with subframe. Axles weighed out on trailer at 7250/8190/8560 and 17050 on the tanden group. Fairly evenly balanced I'd say. BTW the trailer is a 45 ton Dopeker two position neck and 51' long with 22.5 rubber.

#3) There are alot of "old timers" that are just in the coffee shop to bull ch!t and stir the pot. I agree some are as smart as a "toaster" because I see that alot anymore. But hey, you get that in all professions anymore...right? :d :beer:

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 83

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the above is not correct on all brands, Aspen adressed the issue on their scissornecks by adding spacer plates above the front and center suspension mounts to acheive the 10% tolerance between axles in higboy position. we fought with them when the issue first arose, and they came good on the updates on our early models. our newest Aspen scissorneck just had it's first brake job this summer, all brake pads were wearing exactly the same. I can take pics of the pads if you would like....

Top Bottom