cable ice scratchers good or bad?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone run the cable type ice scratchers? they look like they can brake off in reverse and if the end wears down you replace just the end. same price as reg scratchers?

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They do work and they are made to not break off when you reverse. But they are a little suspect when it comes to lasting. Went through 2 sets so far this year. One set the cables pulled out of the mount and the other ones the plastic sheating that helps keep them stiff fell off and they ended up being twisted like a pretzel. They work but dont last long. Just my experience.

W

woodies

well my regular ones didn't last long and one broke. and wasn't reverse related so i'm looking for other options to!!!

sledhead65

Reaction score
They are junk.. they offer no true down pressure to dig into hard packed trails where they are to be truly used.. i put a set on my 08 163 xp.. and all they did was slap into the rails and score/pit them up... i have a set to give away .. either that or use them on the theives who are breaking into units up in the mountains... what a waste of money.. i am annoyed that i trusted a custom sled shop on north edm. all he wanted was my money.. hows that for a rant???

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use two bolts. Drilled holes in the back inside of the ski-Plastic. 3/8" x 2-1/2" long bolt with washers and a clip pin. bolt head drags and kicks up the snow. just make sure you take them off at the end of the trail. works great and cheap.
Check it out on sledshot.com under tech tips then see scratchers. Cheers

W

woodies

See lots of these ^^^^ thinking i can make couple hundred for the price of 1 set of scratchers(smiley face)

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
We found the same results as sledhead65, they are a waste of money. I am sure my buddy would give his away as well.

dooski

Reaction score
thats right! They are garbage and I will give them away to any one that would like them

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boy am i ever glad that i didn't buy some of thouse and went with the Holz instead, Phew. Ya i could see them not doing anything on icey to hard hard pack because they arn't being forced down by the spring like the others. Sound like they only work on trails that have been ridden a few times and they kick up the loose snow ontop the trail. Who cares about reversing just train urself to put them down at parking lot and take em up at cabin and remind yourself no reverse !! (i bent my set too... but after the first pair i think you start to remember easier, funny thing is i think they work better bent :p)

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any they dont want .....I'll be glad to pick them up.....I havent had a problem with them other than on one of the sleds I must not have used enough red loc tight so I'm short one...

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
JUNK!!!

Unless you are OK with a couple of steel cables beating the sh1t out of your suspension.

The tips bust off, they move minimal snow into the track and they do not work on ice!!

Holtz all the way...I never overheat...my B-In-Law with them is always stopped on a warm trail riding day.

Hey just my opinion...but my observation too.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay with the rigid scratchers in my opinion... I had (key word is HAD) a set on both sleds last season for about 2 months - after cooking a set of hyperfax and having to pull off trail a lot, put the holz scatchers on - no more problems.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay with the rigid scratchers in my opinion... I had (key word is HAD) a set on both sleds last season for about 2 months - after cooking a set of hyperfax and having to pull off trail a lot, put the holz scatchers on - no more problems.

good to know, thanks

W

woodies

Seen one guy had a set of scratchers that had a hinge deal. Anyone know the maker? Should have asked i quess, they had same down force as mine..

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
slidekicks there on the thread installing ice scatchers,look really bad build

Top Bottom