C3 belt drive on the XM...

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, who has it installed and how are they performing this year, or last ?
I will be out next weekend with a new one and anxious to feel the difference. What did you do to the gear ratio, compared to stock ? Hard to find spare belts in Calgary ?

Cheers
RN

hpjunkie

Reaction score
Put one on a friends '12 E-Tec 163. Went with a 2.33 ratio. Only issue was C3 had no Gates belts when shipped, so sub'd a Japanese equivalent. Belt didn't last more than a couple hundred km. C3 sent a new Gates once they came in & no issues since. 1.5yrs. Proper tension/deflection important.

yammyman

Reaction score
Deflection and tension are very important is right, especially when you run a turbo. I blew a belt, but I had my tension to tight. Another very important point is to check and re-loctite the jack shaft/hub bolt. Mine loosened off just slightly and the hub had about 10% of the splines left. Might have to replace my jack shaft too! About .005-10 wear on its splines. Keep a close watch. I was running 25 & 63! Still very happy with my purchase. Kevin is a great guy!

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a TKI drive on my xm. I decided to go with a 2.42 ratio. So far so good after 600 miles. Tension is pretty important. I noticed a fair bit of blue dust at first but thats normal for break in of the belt I understand.

I wasnt sure I was gaining much out of the belt drive as I clutched at the same time. Its been cold here so I threw the chaincase back on with the same clutch setup. I lost a bit of rpm up top and a noticable amount of throttle response. Night and day? No...but a nice little improvement. Keep in mind this was with one clutch setup. Could I mask this with another? Hard to say. I initially thought any gains were solely because of clutch work but proved myself wrong.

The 2.42 is working pretty good for me and id highly recommend it. Ill likely grab a 2.33 gear to try yet and see but the machine sure feels good with the 2.42.

I know this is a C3 thread. If anyone is looking for another option TKI customer service and product quality has been fantastic. One of the better guys in the biz..

Top Bottom