Buying used Turbo Apex

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering what things to look for when purchasing a used turbo sled?

Any info would be of help. I have never owned a turbo and think I may make the jump.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 stroke of 4 stroke

either way obviously you want to know how many miles on the turbo/ how many miles on the motor. and how many miles the motor has been boosted. motors and turbos dont last forever. you also want to see if he has changed the oil in the turbo if thats the case.

if its a 2 stroke for example and has been boosted for 2000-3000km it may need a fresh top end.

4 stroke. well i dont know i have no experience with this haha. but from what ive heard alot of guys dont have to touch their boosted sleds in over 10,000km

evan3000

Reaction score
If it has a few boosted miles on it I would recomend a leak down test. If you don't know how to do it take it to a reputable shop and have them do one. also find out the history on the sled, who installed the kit, what shop if any worked on the sled. There are alot of tallented DIY garage machanics out there who can take a project on like this without blinking an eye, but that can go the other way too!!!! Have fun!!!

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No worries Maxwell your 2stroke comment is valid for general info.

Drivetrain aside a big concern buying any used sled should be checking whether it's tumbled down the mountain and been repaired. Perhaps turbo's are more prone to spectacular tumbles, or perhaps less so as they tend to have more experienced pilots.

Check the bulkhead carefully, check the tunnel for straightness, check track alignment in the tunnel, check both ski tips are same place front/back.

Trust me as I learned a hard lesson from a seemingly honest seller.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Take it somewhere and have it inspected for chassie damage and how the Turbo is set up and installed. Wiring,hose routing,wear and tear whatever. Just ask RKnight111 about turbo installation and upkeep and constant maintance. Bigdawg here would also be a good guy to contact.
Treat it like a Vehicle and get it looked over very well

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never never buy used just saying it will save u money in the long run been there done that never again it costed me big money:nono:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it somewhere and have it inspected for chassie damage and how the Turbo is set up and installed. Wiring,hose routing,wear and tear whatever. Just ask RKnight111 about turbo installation and upkeep and constant maintance. Bigdawg here would also be a good guy to contact.
Treat it like a Vehicle and get it looked over very well

If it's installed properly the first time there really isn't much to maintaining them.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never never buy used just saying it will save u money in the long run been there done that never again it costed me big money:nono:
a buddy of mine bought a used vector turbo from a guy who said it had a new motor well i threw a rod the first day and wrecked the complete engine plus a grand for a chopper so buy carefully just my 2 cents

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It may be hard to get to a shop before putting your chips down, I know I would not let mine leave the yard before its paid for or go through the hassel of hauling it around to who knows who. Find someone you trust who has owned a turbo, and not someone who just went and bought it off a installer all set up and rode it twice. Find someone who has tore them down and reassembled them bolt by bolt, they know the questions to ask and what looks poorly setup. When they grenade it's big bucks and alot more work to rebuild.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

what he said, lol i have yet to see someone get a GOOD deal on a used turbo sled. have heard lots of bad stories about stuff like this. i guess only way i wold buy it is if the guy was a twig and couldnt handle the power and needed a stock 440 again.
hard to inspect but look at the drive oil see if it has sparkles in it, look at the drivers, make sure the turbo is not leaking, do a leak test, make sure you get a good feeling off this guy. lots sell because they were hacked together. i would not buy used just my 2 cents. new ones are not that much

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what he said, lol i have yet to see someone get a GOOD deal on a used turbo sled. have heard lots of bad stories about stuff like this. i guess only way i wold buy it is if the guy was a twig and couldnt handle the power and needed a stock 440 again.
hard to inspect but look at the drive oil see if it has sparkles in it, look at the drivers, make sure the turbo is not leaking, do a leak test, make sure you get a good feeling off this guy. lots sell because they were hacked together. i would not buy used just my 2 cents. new ones are not that much

Only problem is, lots of New ones were hacked together too. ONly to take a whole season to get running the way they should be. Dont think that getting new will ensure you anything. Depends on who built it. Buyer definately beware. I have seen alot of really nice apexes for 12500 and they will be a hell of a sled.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perhaps turbo's are more prone to spectacular tumbles, or perhaps less so as they tend to have more experienced pilots.

Seen lots of tools with high $$$ sleds that can't ride worth beans either though. Money doesn't make you a better rider.......

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually ended up buying an RT1000 instead. But it blew up the first ride out. Only made it 3 miles. Getting it back tomorrow with a fresh top end.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always ask the question "why is it being sold" if it's such a good sled then why would you sell it. Turbos can cause a lot of trouble if not installed
correctly. I sold one this year and the guy who bought mine knew I was buying another one from the same shop and he also spoke to them.
I think if you can find out as much background info as you can the better.
I would want to talk to the installer for sure. All in all if installed right a turbo can make you grin from ear to ear. Good Luck:beer:

Top Bottom