Buying the right dirt bike

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SICK! I rode one a long time ago and was instantly in love lol. Now I just needa sugar Daddy to help me with all these toys! hahaha :rolleyes:

I love it and don't know why I didn't get one sooner! I rode a Raptor for quite a few years and my "sugar daddy" :rolleyes: LOL has ridden a YFZ for a lot of years too! :)

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
forsure will do!

sorry i didnt see your posts on the bottom of the other page lol
I've only had it in the mountains twice..

Brazeau Dam near Nordegg, and I had a blast through the trails there! A lot of great riding :) and then at last years jambouree and it did fairly well, got hung up on logs and high centered in a mud hole but that happens with race quads. All the other touring we did it didnt have any issues

yup agreed the 250f will be the way to go.. just pick your color.. red orange or green ;)

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Snow and Mud jamboree, like White said is held in Rocky at a campground called "OutWest RV park" there's some EXCELLENT riding in that country. I did some backcountry camping in Caroline this summer, just south of where we rode in Rocky and that was even better.

My Dad owns a resort in Nordegg, so I do tons of riding up there. My Avatar is a pic of me on top of Baldy Mountain, we ride a trail that slowly winds up the mountain to the very top..its a good ride.

I've done some riding at McLean, my Mom lives in Calgary so again, when I come down to visit I haul the bike down and play down there too. I will be checkin out Blackfoot MX park this season too.

Other then that, I ride a lot of local areas around Edmonton, including up in the Hinton area in Brule Lake, we do a huge trip out there annually with friends. I ride a lot at this track called "Wild Bills" This is my favourite place to go locally, they have an excellent track as well has harescramble trails, I can play for a good couple hours out there, back and forth from track to trails. Its good practice.

Haha I totally remember the high centering incident at the Jamboree. We seemed like a pair of totally helpless girls. White and I were on our own, as my boyfriends bike broke down at the mid-trail lunch. Holy crap, that is exactly one of the reasons why i DONT ride a quad! What a chore that was..and we couldn't get it unstuck..we had to wait for fellow jamboreerers come and get that thing out. lol..good times.

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
I'd put another vote in for a 250f, I ride a CRF450X and it's a whole lotta bike. It's tough to keep the front end on the dirt sometimes. If your worried about being able to put your toes on the ground there are lowering links available to drop the seat height. We've also got a CRF150F and it's a dog. I'd go 150R if your going that way.

I hope you find the right ride.

pretty babies 1.JPG

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
Hey chicks just wanted to update everyone who shared their imput with my search for the right bike. Well I'm happy to say I bought an '04 Honda CRF 150 and I love it so far!! I've been riding out in Waiparous and have gotten her pretty muddy ;) Special Thanks to LadyD, I know why you love yours!
Wondering where some more good trails are around Cochrane/Sundre/Rocky?? Or other areas in central/southern AB.
Cheers!! :d
110613083000.jpg

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good call Foxxy, that's a great beginner bike! I actually have a CRF150RB, the race/mx version of your bike, but that bike you got there is an excellent trail bike and a good route to go to get you familiar with trail riding! It's also air-cooled, and extremely low maintenace.. lucky girl! Does yours have E-start too??? Ive seen a few 150F's with them, that's gotta be nice.. My bike is oil-cooled and has not one but TWO oil/fill compartments and an oil filter to change too. not fun :rant:

Rocky & Caroline have some great riding, you should come hit up the Jamboree with us in Rocky in 2 weeks!

Hope you enjoy the new toy all summer!!! :cool:

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
I wish it had E start that motha is a biotch to kick!!! lol
I don't really plan on going to the track im a bush wacker so this bike seems to be the right gig for me.
That Jamboree sounds fun Ill keep it in mind!

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
OH AND most importantly to add, I'm friggen glad as all hell that I didn't get a 250F for my first bike!!!! I would have broke a leg first ride haha

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I do a lot of everything, track/bush/sand, but the 150R is a great bush bike too, for me its nice because its about 20lbs lighter than the 150F, which makes a huge difference when your my size! lol.

Haha well 4-strokes involve some technique sometimes with starting - mine can be finicky too but I've learned some tricks, and you will learn as you go too with your bike!

Yeah 250 4 strokes are pretty powerful, and there a lot taller then your 150. Most are MX bikes too, so they are higher maintenance. The bigger version of your bike is the CRF230F - same idea, a great trail bike just a bit bigger and heavier.

You definitely got a good bike for what you need to start and learn on! I know lots of people who ride 150F's and they are indestructible bushwhacking tractors! Later on down the road you may want to upgrade or switch it up to something else if you want to try riding tracks, etc.

Good luck! ;)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so lately I've been spending time on a CRF250 r. It's a really nice bike... I'm still learning so I have a few dork moments... All day riding, up and down trails, switchbacks... the odd obstacle no prob.. (phew I made it) My kids looking at me like..."wow our mom is cool". They were on ATVs with us.. My spill of the day....

Standing in our driveway... I kind of topple over... bike on top of me.. the kids at that point went from... ooooo our mom is cool to oh maaaaaaaaaan our mom is a dork... lol! Good times learning though.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride Foxy!! You'll have a blast this summer! :D

I ride a TTR230...or try to ride LOL...it's ok but not alotta 'snap'. Can't wheelie through de-activation ditches or anything..really can't bring the front tire off the ground at all. :( BUT it's a tractor in the bush, and virtually unstoppable. Good off-road, bush-wackin' trail bike but not a good aggressive single track or jumping bike really.
At 5'2" I had to shave an inch off the seat so I could tippy toe on it. :eek:

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
advice for you ladies. if you can get a rekluse clutch for your bikes (exspecially if your a beginner) you'll look like a pro out there. the greatest thing on the market today. weve all converted to them for bush riding. you'll love them. imo

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
advice for you ladies. if you can get a rekluse clutch for your bikes (exspecially if your a beginner) you'll look like a pro out there. the greatest thing on the market today. weve all converted to them for bush riding. you'll love them. imo

Agree jbb!! A buddy has a KTM with a rekluse clutch...a definite advantage for bush riding from what we see outa him. His wife rode his bike a bit, and she totally liked that clutch, found it way easier to ride and wants one on her bike now too.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't want to hijack the thread but I am a beginner male who has never rode a dirt bike before. I have owned harleys and things like that and want to know you opinion if I am looking at the right bike. I have my eyes on a 2009 honda cfr x 250. Just want to know if this is the right bike for me and any opinions on it. I was also wondering the difference between an open clutch and a closed clutch as the 250x and 250r have the different clutches. I went into turple but no one came to ask if I needed anything so I walked out. Also looking at a 2010 yamaha yz 250f, so any opinions or comparisions would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first question for you to give you my opinion is your size, and what kind of riding your hoping to do for the majority, and your budget? These questions are always the key it seems lol

I don't know a whole lot about the CRF250X as I've never ridden one but I hear they are pretty rad bush bikes, with the slight feel of an MX bike. I'm assuming they're probably fairly similar to a CRF250R, with slight differences, like the clutch, etc.

Hope you find something you like!

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first question for you to give you my opinion is your size, and what kind of riding your hoping to do for the majority, and your budget? These questions are always the key it seems lol

I don't know a whole lot about the CRF250X as I've never ridden one but I hear they are pretty rad bush bikes, with the slight feel of an MX bike. I'm assuming they're probably fairly similar to a CRF250R, with slight differences, like the clutch, etc.

Hope you find something you like!

I am 5'9 and 180 lbs and I think most of the riding will be bush trails out in the Rocky Mountain House area. I don't think I will be into the track thing and not interested in riding it on road. My budget is like max 5000 bucks. Let me know what you think.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08154XP...Chelle knows about the bike your considering, she'd be a good one to ask, and has been around bikes alot and knows the bigger bikes. I think she's on a CRF450X ??...you should message her, or maybe she'll get on here and give you her .02 :D

My hubby rides a WR450F, it's a big bike but he likes it. Not 'nimble' but a powerhouse in the bush. He's 6'1" and hmmmm...I'm gonna say 210...and hope I don't catch he!! for it. :eek:

Top Bottom