What to buy - dirt bike

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys - will need a little help here.

Son just got a dirtbike (XR 125) from his "uncle" for Xmas. This of course means dad will need to buy one too, because hey he can't ride alone and will need supervision. ;)

So I will first want to buy something used. I have enough $ tied up in sleds.

I have not ridden a bike for any length of time in close to 25 years. When I quit, I was racing 250 and Open bikes. That was still in the 2 stroke days. I think last bikes I had were the 1985 Husky 250 and 500. Pretty much just stopped completely when I started barefoot waterskiing competitively.

So I have no idea what I should be looking for in new bikes. I am thinking something in an enduro cross country? Likely we will just be trail riding here and taking bikes to BC around Vernon to trail ride. Lots of great 2 track there. Also - will be putting around for a couple of years with my son - so I will need something with mostly low end.

Had the thought that it might be fun to trade off one of the sleds I have for around here and build a snowbike? What would work best for that?

Any help would be appreciated

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snowbike=minimum 450 cc 4 stroke.
ur best bet is to get a jap 4 stroke,they are super reliable ,u could get ur self in a 06-08 for under 4 g's and that would b in good shape. lots of good deals out there right now.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make darn sure you check the valves prior to purchasing a thumper. I have had 2 450 so far and am going back to the 2stroke this spring!

I do still have my old 2001 YZ 426f that im rebuidling from the ground up this winter, mucho lighter, electric start etc and making it street legal :)

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2 stroke guy. Any 03+ yz250 is a solid bike, personally I would pickup a KTM or Husky 300. I hate the extra maintenance/rebuild cost of the 4 strokes.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've bought a new bike, and have my 2006 Kawasaki 450f for sale. I put a new top end in, including valves. I also put new rims as well. It's my old cross country race bike. Set up for the trails. Large tank, guards, you name it. If your interested pm me.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2008 ktm 200 xc-w that I am considering selling. Wouldn't work as a snow bike but is perfect for trails, can be taken to the track as well.

dirtydeeds

Reaction score
I do still have my old 2001 YZ 426f that im rebuidling from the ground up this winter, mucho lighter, electric start etc and making it street legal :)

You can put lights and such on it, but it won't be street legal. Not in AB and I'm pretty sure BC has similar legislation. If it was born a dirt bike, it stays a dirt bike.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned every size 2 stroke on the planet including a KX500.

My favorite bike to date is a 450f. I'll never go back to 2 stroke.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I've owned every size 2 stroke on the planet including a KX500.

My favorite bike to date is a 450f. I'll never go back to 2 stroke.
X 2..... I've had 3 450's a CRF, KXF and I now ride a KTM 450sx. I also own a yz250f. NEVER had a problem with valves ever. The only problem I had was a water pump seal on my KTM last year. I can get 3 seasons of hard riding out of a thumper no problem. Key is maintenance OR....Maybe I'm just lucky...lol

Top Bottom