Buying the right dirt bike

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
Hello again gals!
I'm wondering what size, make and model of dirt bikes you are rippin' in the summer? I've rode a Yamaha TTR 125 4 stroke and found that it manouvered very well but I would totally need bar risers. I also rode a Suzuki 250 2 stroke and it was great on straight terrain but not so great when I needed to get technical.. too big for me! I'm 5'6 and not heavy lol.
A lot of my friends reccomend KTM.
I want a bike that has good power, and that I can touch my toes to the ground while straddling the seat.
Thanks in advance for everyone's input and taking the time to guide me in the right direction :d

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Foxxy...

Well I started on a TTR125..that bike was a joke. Good for a very beginner I suppose but I outgrew it way too fast, I wanted something with more jam. I then tried an 85cc.. that thing was just too much power, and too much jam for such a tiny bike..and had no control what so ever. Then I had a KTM 105.. much better, but this bike is meant to be whipped around a race track.. very fast..and KTMs..lots of $$$$..hope you have deep pockets to maintain one. I play in the mountains and in the trails a lot more than I ride track so I recently upgraded one last time to a Honda CRF150R. Love, love, love this bike.. perfect for my size although a bit tall and a bit heavy..but I will "grow" into it figuratively speaking.. I am 5'1ish and 110 lbs..I can barely tippy toe on it, I usually have to support it with one foot on the ground but I am more of an experienced rider that I dont require both feet planted all the time... This bike is perfect for trail riding, has tons of consistent, smooth, controllable power, but it will launch me in the air nicely at the track too. Becuase your a bit taller, you could try a 125cc 2 stroke, they are respectively in the same class as a 250 4 stroke, but considerably lighter. Good luck finding a bike!!

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to add, if your leaning towards a KTM, they also make a 144/150 2 stroke, which is again, comparable in size to a 125 cc 2 stroke, and a 250 4 stroke, but lighter than a 4 stroke.. still same height though. If your struggling with your feet on the ground on a 250f, you'll likely have the same problem on a 125 or a 150 2 stroke. But you might be a tad too tall for a 150 4 stroke, but really its about what is comfortable for you and what you can handle. Hopefully you can try out or atleast sit on a few of the other sizes I mentioned that you may have not tried yet..

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
Hey Foxxy...

Well I started on a TTR125..that bike was a joke. Good for a very beginner I suppose but I outgrew it way too fast, I wanted something with more jam. I then tried an 85cc.. that thing was just too much power, and too much jam for such a tiny bike..and had no control what so ever. Then I had a KTM 105.. much better, but this bike is meant to be whipped around a race track.. very fast..and KTMs..lots of $$$$..hope you have deep pockets to maintain one. I play in the mountains and in the trails a lot more than I ride track so I recently upgraded one last time to a Honda CRF150R. Love, love, love this bike.. perfect for my size although a bit tall and a bit heavy..but I will "grow" into it figuratively speaking.. I am 5'1ish and 110 lbs..I can barely tippy toe on it, I usually have to support it with one foot on the ground but I am more of an experienced rider that I dont require both feet planted all the time... This bike is perfect for trail riding, has tons of consistent, smooth, controllable power, but it will launch me in the air nicely at the track too. Becuase your a bit taller, you could try a 125cc 2 stroke, they are respectively in the same class as a 250 4 stroke, but considerably lighter. Good luck finding a bike!!

Thanks LadyD! I definitely want something cheaper to maintain since my sled breaks me in the winter haha but I'll still see what KTM's are up for. I like the sounds of the Honda 125cc 2 stroke as it would be lighter but hopefully still beefy enough for trail riding and hill climbs since thats what id be doing on it. Did it take you long to get use to the clutch on a 2 stroke? I've heard it's the way to go in the long run..?

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to add, if your leaning towards a KTM, they also make a 144/150 2 stroke, which is again, comparable in size to a 125 cc 2 stroke, and a 250 4 stroke, but lighter than a 4 stroke.. still same height though. If your struggling with your feet on the ground on a 250f, you'll likely have the same problem on a 125 or a 150 2 stroke. But you might be a tad too tall for a 150 4 stroke, but really its about what is comfortable for you and what you can handle. Hopefully you can try out or atleast sit on a few of the other sizes I mentioned that you may have not tried yet..

I think Ill have to sit on and try out a few different bikes for sizing!
I'd just hate to get something too small and be dissapointed! But I'm sure whatever I end up on for a first bike will adjust to me. lol ;)

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm to be honest I don't notice much difference in the clutches between the 2 stroke and the 4. KTM's have hydraulic clutch though which is the cats azz..was so hard getting used to regular clutch again, but you break that fugger and your lookin at $40 to replace. My Honda's clutch lever is like $15, and I always keep a spare.. you never know when they will break...especially if you fall lots lol. Everything on a KTM is double to fix or replace...its kind of annoying but there's no doubt they have the quality, buutt.. so does Honda, and parts are cheaper and more available. I am also fortunate that I am friends with a honda mechanic.

I've been riding for 4 years, so i'm more or less "intermediate", my 150R can go pretty much anywhere a full size bike can go, I ride with all boys, I keep up, I hit jumps, hop logs and I climb pretty much all the gnarly hills they do..so I have no doubt a 125 2 stroke will take you anywhere your willing to go, there's just an undeniable difference between a 2 and 4 stroke, and I personally will never go back to 2 stroke for many reasons.

Everyone has their preference, but after having two 2 strokes, and two 4 strokes i'll tell you why 4 strokes are my preference. I loved the snappy power and light weight of the 2 strokes, it was a great learning curve for me, but 2 strokes are more track-friendly bikes, you can adjust them to be more trail-friendly, but being a small inexperienced girl I found it very challenging at times to control a 2 stroke on the trails.. one little touch on that throttle and they go like a bat out of hell, you really need to know how to work the clutch and the throttle in precisely the right times to control those beasts, also, 2 strokes require constant throttle action..they love to be bagged and they love the juice, if your just puttsin around on trails, its likely going to foul spark plugs. You can lean them out and adjust the carb, etc to help prevent this, but you can only do so much. 2 strokes need oil, and when you lean them out and starve them of oil this can lead to engine failure. When I was on my KTM, I had it jetted for high elevations, and the fuel/oil ration leaned right out.. and even though I was on the throttle as much as I could possible handle, I would still foul plugs, so I always had to make sure I carried extras. Pain in the ass.

my 4 stroke.. no problems on the trail. the 4 stroke is more user friendly, IMO.. tons of power, but the throttle is smooth and the power is consistent, and I barely need to use my clutch, especially when climbing big hills, it just takes me wherever I want it to go, without the challenges of the 2 stroke. No more messing around with jetting, leaning the gas/oil ..and I don't need to bag the hell out of it.. It will do anything I want it to at my own pace without failing on me. IMO, much more female, beginner, novice, intermediate friendly bike. Your fine on a 2 stroke anywhere if your experienced enough rider on bikes in general and have the mechanical capabilites to constantly fart around with the jetting, etc. I'm not saying you can't learn and adapt to this... I know I was beginning to master the art of learning to ride a 2 stroke in gnarly trail conditions..but lets just say with my Honda I spend less time worrying, and more time enjoying! Of course 4 strokes aren't perfect.. it seems they do require a little extra TLC than 2 strokes.. valves need to constantly be checked/adjusted, etc..Hondas are even worse..I discovered that unlike other brands, I have to change TWO different oils, transmission and engine. They can be painfully hard to start when theyre cold, they hate cold, but they also tend to overheat when running too long.You also have to use the "hotstart" when starting after it's been running a while. The 2 strokers don't ever seem to have this kind of childish attitude. They like it rough. Haha, but i've found that the 150R has suited my riding style and ability a little better and so far the good has out weighed the bad.. and I have found since i've been on the Honda, I am much more responsive and performing much better then I did on the 2 stroke..

anyway..hope you enjoyed the essay, this is just based on my experiences and opinions of a small girl with 4 years of riding on 4 very different bikes.. and it took 4 bikes until I found the right one..sometimes that's just the way it is lol. So, have fun!!

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
Wow thank you so much for your experience story! I'm totally stoked!
I really do think I will want to try a few out for myself, and deal with the guys saying ' go 2 stroke you'll be a better rider' blah blah blah. But to be honest I would rather learn and be more confident on a 4 stroke then always anticipate my next fu*k up! Just like you mentioned lol. That way I can still keep up with the guys and break less bones! lol
I'm forsure going to check out the Honda cuz double the price on a KTM is not interesting to me!! Although they are pretty haha
Any knowledge on a Kawasaki? Know gals who ride one?

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure how much i agree with the "you'll be a better rider if you go 2 stroke" i agree its challenging and you gain pretty good experience, but I am by far a much better rider on my 4 stroke,and I had 2 seasons on 2 different 2 strokes.. and again, everyone is different. a 125 cc 2 stroke will no doubt more than likely suit your height and wieght capabilities, but its got a lot of jam.. they are race bikes. Just try a few out, see what you like. My gf is about your size, 5"8ish, thin.. and she rides a 250f.. you can adjust the suspension in them so they are softer and able to touch the ground better.. just something to keep in mind.

I know a girl who rides a KX100 2 stroke and one who has a KX250f, both love them, obviously, and the girl who rides the KX250f is surprisingly not much bigger than me...:eek: I am sure you will find somethign to suit your needs, your doing the right thing by asking around, now you just need to try a few out, if you dont get the right one off the bat..who cares...sell it and get another one..IF you love the sport that much..

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was learning to ride a dirtbike a few years ago. There is a thread here about it. When it came time to look for a bike for me, there were some really good suggetions. My ex ended up buying himself a 250 2 stroke kawi. It was fun, a big bike. I'm 5'9, but way too much bike for me to ever fully relax on. One of my music students has a Honda 230f. If I was to buy a bike right now it would be that one. He lets me ride it, sometimes and I really really enjoy being on that bike. It's not too big and like Lady Dirt said, the 4 stroke power is so user friendly. I remember Teeroy recommending that bike way back when...

Good luck. :)

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the CRF230F is a trail bike. Its similar to the TTR125, just bigger and heavier. It is an ideal bike for trails, but its not very peppy, but it will no doubt take you through pretty much anything..although i'm not sure what the power is like for climbing steep hills..I know the TTR sucked, but its smaller. Again, its preference. The CRF250R is lighter, but a few inches taller, with way more jam..its a race bike. I can agree that the heavy trails bikes are no doubt easier to control in some cases, but its all about the rider.

If you know what kind of rider your want to be, then you need to get a bike that you will so called "grow into". If you want to ride anything from trails, sand dunes, track, etc then having a bike that can suit all your needs is important. You dont want a bike that will be too much for you off the bat, but you dont want one that your going to get bored of too quickly either.

If you found that a 250 4 stroke was a bit on the heavy side for you, you definitely won't like the 230f, your talking 20-30 lbs heavier. If your thinking 125 2 stroke, your looking at around 200lbs, 30-50lbs lighter than the 4 strokes..but same height.

A bike like mine, 150R, would probably even suit you off the bat. Its about a 170lbs, and 6 inches shorter than the 250R. As i've mentioned, with my MX boots on i'm probably about 5'2ish..and I tippy toe on this thing..if your 5'7 you will definitely be able to plant your feet.

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
Again, thanks ladies I love your insight!
I've had quite a few buds reccomened the KX250F and so many are saying 2 strokes aren't necessary at all! Ive basically come to the conclusion that Im FORSURE getting a 4 stroke.. there's just too many positives to list! Most have been mentioned above :d
Now Ill meddle my friends with dealerships and bikes kicking around!! Woowooop!
Also, I know I'm going to Love Love Love the sport cuz I rode a few times for the last couple summers and loved it! It also helps that I'm a major sledhead in the winter! Just need my summer motorsport now.
Siiiiick!
How do you girls feel about racing quads? They're effing fun too! lol

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, thanks ladies I love your insight!
I've had quite a few buds reccomened the KX250F and so many are saying 2 strokes aren't necessary at all! Ive basically come to the conclusion that Im FORSURE getting a 4 stroke.. there's just too many positives to list! Most have been mentioned above :d
Now Ill meddle my friends with dealerships and bikes kicking around!! Woowooop!
Also, I know I'm going to Love Love Love the sport cuz I rode a few times for the last couple summers and loved it! It also helps that I'm a major sledhead in the winter! Just need my summer motorsport now.
Siiiiick!
How do you girls feel about racing quads? They're effing fun too! lol

Love my racing quad! :d I've got a YFZ450 that I absolutely love! I ride regularly with Outlawkitten500 who rocks her Outlaw! :headbanger: Also spent some days out with Sledmamma ripping on her LTZ last summer!! :d

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
love the race quad :D running the KTM 450XC .. dont hit the track so the XC has been an incredible machine for me! KTM is the best built machine i've ever seen, hands down. and they are built ready to race, there not lying.

But i'm also edging into wanting to get a dirt bike for something different.. but i've already got my mind made up that it will be a 250F.. no yammies for me , suzi or honda likely.. ktm be nice but $$ and kawi has been top of the market last few years so might consider that too

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think both of you ladies, regardless of the brand, will be satisfied with a 250F. Just remember, unless your racing and bagging the crap out of them..you're very unlikely going to notice the pros & cons of either brands so just go with whatever brand you personally like. KTM's & Kawi's definitely make some hot-looking machines, Honda has reliability and I love the suspension and the handling, parts are fair priced and well available. Best resale value. I'm not hearing many good things about Yamahas & Suzukis these days, so not my top choice either. I think with KTM, Honda or Kawi is your top 3 picks..with durability, quality, reliability. Just keep in mind anything with KTM is double the price or more for parts. :)

I can't really comment too muchon racing quads, i've ridden a few, when my KTM was being rebuilt I borrowed a Honda TRX 700...definitley way too much quad for me..i really wished I was on a bike haha. I like the versatility of dirtbikes, their light weight, easy to manouver and if you want to ride sweet single track trails..well there's no choice. I'm also a tiny little girl and the fear of ever having one roll on me ...well, lets just say i'd rather stick with my 170lb dirtbike.. :)

I'm glad that your starting to make a decision, hopefully you get a great deal on a great bike :) Maybe we can hook up and ride in the future! That'd be sweet.. White6 and I buddy up for the snow and mud Jamboree in summer.. you may have to get some good seat time on your new ride and tag along!

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
Love my racing quad! :d I've got a YFZ450 that I absolutely love! I ride regularly with Outlawkitten500 who rocks her Outlaw! :headbanger: Also spent some days out with Sledmamma ripping on her LTZ last summer!! :d

SICK! I rode one a long time ago and was instantly in love lol. Now I just needa sugar Daddy to help me with all these toys! hahaha :rolleyes:

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
love the race quad :D running the KTM 450XC .. dont hit the track so the XC has been an incredible machine for me! KTM is the best built machine i've ever seen, hands down. and they are built ready to race, there not lying.

But i'm also edging into wanting to get a dirt bike for something different.. but i've already got my mind made up that it will be a 250F.. no yammies for me , suzi or honda likely.. ktm be nice but $$ and kawi has been top of the market last few years so might consider that too

do you hit a lot of trails on the mountain with it?
the 250F is the ticket I see!! :d

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
I think both of you ladies, regardless of the brand, will be satisfied with a 250F. Just remember, unless your racing and bagging the crap out of them..you're very unlikely going to notice the pros & cons of either brands so just go with whatever brand you personally like. KTM's & Kawi's definitely make some hot-looking machines, Honda has reliability and I love the suspension and the handling, parts are fair priced and well available. Best resale value. I'm not hearing many good things about Yamahas & Suzukis these days, so not my top choice either. I think with KTM, Honda or Kawi is your top 3 picks..with durability, quality, reliability. Just keep in mind anything with KTM is double the price or more for parts. :)

I can't really comment too muchon racing quads, i've ridden a few, when my KTM was being rebuilt I borrowed a Honda TRX 700...definitley way too much quad for me..i really wished I was on a bike haha. I like the versatility of dirtbikes, their light weight, easy to manouver and if you want to ride sweet single track trails..well there's no choice. I'm also a tiny little girl and the fear of ever having one roll on me ...well, lets just say i'd rather stick with my 170lb dirtbike.. :)

I'm glad that your starting to make a decision, hopefully you get a great deal on a great bike :) Maybe we can hook up and ride in the future! That'd be sweet.. White6 and I buddy up for the snow and mud Jamboree in summer.. you may have to get some good seat time on your new ride and tag along!

Yup I know what to look at now! ;) I just don't know where Im going to put all these toys I'm getting.. I already have to put my sled in a buddies garage hahaha time to get a new house too... geeeeeze!
Id love to go ride this summer. Where's the snow n mud jamorbee at? Where do you girls usually ride? We've got some sick trails and mountains down here.. Waiparous and Mclean Creek are rad and they're only 30-40 mins from Calgs.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ah just keep storing them wherever you find a hole ;) save money to buy more haha

ah last few years its been in rocky mountain house.. I live up in fort mac so most of my riding has been north in the richardson back country and sand dunes.. bit around town

Eh if you get a bike or quad let me know.. i get 7days off at a time so id drive down for a weekend of riding anytime :) pick up LD on my way through too

JustPinItFoxxy

Reaction score
yup, it doesn't seem to be too hard to find garages with a little extra space for a sled, bike, quad, mountain bike.. etc. Lucky me!
Fort Mac jeebus! Are you from there originally?
I'm forsure down for a rip with you and LD! :beer:

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id say the sled is the hardest one to find space for.. the rest are usually pretty easy lol But still lucky you forsure!

haha you betcha.. im born n raised up here.. but bc of that I dont mind it up here.. treats me good, pays for me to do anything I want to, cant really complain

sweet, look forward to it then!

Top Bottom