Buying my first sled

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a XMR as well and i've got a XM 163 on the way :) you will regret it if you dont get another BRP product, trust me. Or if you are into jumps and stuff i can give you a good deal on a 2012 Freeride 154, its awesome too!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the 163 vs 154.

Sure if you ride 60 plus days a year in the mountains, I would also go with a 163. Your chances of hitting a 3+ foot powder day is great, however....

If you ride once a month, or every 3 weeks, you might catch a 3 foot powder weekend 2 maybe 3 times a season (Judging that you have a life outside of sledding and just can't drop everything to go).. A 154 will do just fine.
I have had both, and I find the 154 just makes the more set up days more enjoyable.. That 163 track can push...

But yeah, the new XM should handle like a 146 XP in average snow.. I wouldn't know, I only rode the XM when it was 4+ feet deep.:cool:

If you ride occasionally in Alberta, I think you would enjoy a 154 more.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Poor new guy... Guys you shouldn't fill his head with such rubbish lol.

If you're on a budget then I'd stay away from arctic cat. I pissed away 1000$ last season in belts alone. 1000 miles on the sled, average of 1$per mile belt life... Make ya sick. If ya do decide on a cat, do the team secondary and 20T top gear right away lol, give ya a head start on belts anyways! Not to mention ya have to spend mucho $$$$ to get your garfield sled into a stray alley cat... They weigh a ton for a two stroke. They have a very reliable motor but by god don't show them any rivets or bubbles or it decides to puke up fur balls.... lol

As far as maxwells advice about the steering, it all depends on what you're used to. I don't see how you can make that a flaw against the machine....

If I were in the market now, I would consider a new '13 rmk 800. Can't ignore the lightest sled on the market. Go look on WKM's website. They're selling that carbon fiber 800 for like 25,000$....... That's double what a new rmk costs and same weight as new rmk with a can and 2 less cans of bud light in the pack sack. As for under powered... I think this year you won't notice it as much. I didn't really notice they were that underpowered in my limited seat time on one. Besides, throw a turbo at it the season after and you've got an absolute mountain weapon.

Or you can go buy a doo and get a free maxwell t-shirt.... lol

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Poor new guy... Guys you shouldn't fill his head with such rubbish lol.

If you're on a budget then I'd stay away from arctic cat. I pissed away 1000$ last season in belts alone. 1000 miles on the sled, average of 1$per mile belt life... Make ya sick. If ya do decide on a cat, do the team secondary and 20T top gear right away lol, give ya a head start on belts anyways! Not to mention ya have to spend mucho $$$$ to get your garfield sled into a stray alley cat... They weigh a ton for a two stroke. They have a very reliable motor but by god don't show them any rivets or bubbles or it decides to puke up fur balls.... lol

As far as maxwells advice about the steering, it all depends on what you're used to. I don't see how you can make that a flaw against the machine....

If I were in the market now, I would consider a new '13 rmk 800. Can't ignore the lightest sled on the market. Go look on WKM's website. They're selling that carbon fiber 800 for like 25,000$....... That's double what a new rmk costs and same weight as new rmk with a can and 2 less cans of bud light in the pack sack. As for under powered... I think this year you won't notice it as much. I didn't really notice they were that underpowered in my limited seat time on one. Besides, throw a turbo at it the season after and you've got an absolute mountain weapon.

Or you can go buy a doo and get a free maxwell t-shirt.... lol

Lol no kidding.. who invited you Kyle!? lol jk

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like i said at the begining of this thread, brand bashing!!! i think you will be happy with what ever sled you buy to me its all personal preference and dealer support. WKM in lloyd has always been good to me and i would'nt hesitate to buy a new sled from them. I can't say i have been overly impressed with the the other 2 dealers.

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did I hear right that if I by a Ski-Doo I get a free ride with Maxwell??

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I bought mine from myself and I don't even get a free ride with maxwell! Fireworks....shots....beer...

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey folks! I know that asking this question will yield a ton of opinions, but I am interested I all of them.

I'd like to figure out what I should buy for a sled. I'm new to sledding, but have been into quadding for a while.

I plan on spending a bunch of time in the mountains but also doing some trail riding and ripping on the lake.

What size? What brand? What not to even look at?

I have a Can-am 800 X mr as a quad.

So let 'er rip! I appreciate you thoughts.

might as well stay with BRP if ya like the quad. Try the 800 XP or the new XM.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm not gonna read this whole thread,cause its probably the same old bullsh!t,so if somebody already said this please disregard this post;
Rent a few machines first instead of listening to all the "advice" you are getting here,and see what you feel comfortable on.
or better yet get free dealer demos for the weekend,I'm sure T-team would let you try his machine for a weekend.(get it soon though before he goes logging with it)

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
With how sure they are doo is the best you would think there would be no problem letting someone demo what is sure to be their new sled right ?

Top Bottom