Buying my first sled

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey folks! I know that asking this question will yield a ton of opinions, but I am interested I all of them.

I'd like to figure out what I should buy for a sled. I'm new to sledding, but have been into quadding for a while.

I plan on spending a bunch of time in the mountains but also doing some trail riding and ripping on the lake.

What size? What brand? What not to even look at?

I have a Can-am 800 X mr as a quad.

So let 'er rip! I appreciate you thoughts.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris pro rmk 800, with a 155 track. Not sure how the new doo's handle the trails with the Tmotion, might be a little to Tippy, but that's also something to look at.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone has there own opinion on what is the "Best" so get ready for some band bashing. I would go with a 150's track and either a 700 or 800. I really like all the sleds that have come out, some work better in bottomless fluff and others are good at boondocking through the trees and tight areas. To me it comes down to what feels good and dealer support. I used to ride a rev summit and now i have gone to cat because i like the dealership and they have always treated me good. I have to say though that i really like my M8 other than its ruff on the trails compared to my old rev.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are ya looking spend on a machine or will it be new?

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will likely be new, but I'd also look at something used. I want to make sure I get the right thing. Too often I save a few bucks and then wish I had gotten the right thing.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Lets get one thing straight here... Hes buying BRP... he forgot to mention that! lol.

My opinion... Bigger boys like myself........need bigger machines. Ill always get the bigger track...ll 163 /162 etc.. With the XM coming out this year the 163 is going to be handling like an older 154 or smaller... IMO

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I ride my 162 track in the mountains,ditch banging,field riding and on the lakes. So dont let the trail riding and lakes stop you from buying a bigger track sled.It just makes it that much more fun.Dont forget to put a set of scratchers on it. Good luck on your sled hunt. i would go with and 800. They are all pretty good sleds these days.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets get one thing straight here... Hes buying BRP... he forgot to mention that! lol.

My opinion... Bigger boys like myself........need bigger machines. Ill always get the bigger track...ll 163 /162 etc.. With the XM coming out this year the 163 is going to be handling like an older 154 or smaller... IMO

Bahahahahah I counted 21 words before you bring in the sales pitch..... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is easy. you own an 800 brp atv. so automatically you need an 800cc sled since you are used to brp power. dont want to go any less that what you already are used to!

i was always scared of the 163 sizes but let me tell you anyone who says to get a 154 hasnt spent enough time on a 163. unless you are doing massive jumps and drops the 163 is what you want. one day riding with your buddies on 163" length tracks and you will quickly realize how much better and how much fun they are having compared to you in the steep and deep. when its deep a 154 is NOT sufficient i dont care who you are. yes it will get around and yes you will have fun. but you are NOT getting the best experience compared to a 163. it costs 400$ to go from a 154 to a 163 from the factory when you buy a new skidoo. but when you realize next season your 154 was the wrong choice its going to cost you 2000$ to do the swap to a 163. something to consider since it WILL happen. ask me how i know!

dont sacrifice your mountain performance for a bit of lake riding. the 163 will still work good on the lake. unless you plan to spend more time on the lake vs mountains thats the only time i would consider a 154 length track.

any one of the new skidoo models sp or x with the etec powerplant will suit your needs! make sure if you do buy new to take advantage of the new and improved summit XM sled. i have tested this sled in the hills and it is the cats ass. basically the most refined mountain sled on the market.

things not to look at

1) 600cc engines
2) skidoo xp chasssis ( wicked if its in the budget but the new XM is the way to go if in the budget)
3) arctic cat - poor tracks, poor mountain chassis, poor belt life, engines are good and reliable, flat steering
4) polaris - poor tracks, decent light mountain chassis, underpowered compared to the skidoo, flat steering
5) yamaha - imagine trying to carve your XMR 800 in 3 feet of snow. nuff said.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Back on topic

Dealer support Is huge and a 153 . 155 track is good and move up from there if you want
See if you like sledding , might not
Don't forget. Beacon, probe , shovel at the very least.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

Top Bottom