Buying my first ATV. Need some opinions please help

littleark

Reaction score
Alright, so i guess ill start out with a little bit about myself and what i want the ATV for. I am 15, and it will mainly be me and my dad maybe my mom using it. Myself, go a bit wild on these machines =D. I have used a Honda Foreman 400 CC before, and a Bombardier Can-AM 800 cc also. I loved the bombardier. So i am looking for more of a powerful machines.

What i am going to be doing with it:

I am not going to be using it on trails, cause our family doesn't travel a lot. But we own a lot of land, approx. 90 acres. 5o of it is farming land, 30 of it is forest/swamp area, and rest of its grass etc. So i want something that will be fun in the winter, and summer, and can go around the area i live in cause there is a lot of challenging areas i can drive through. Such as deep swamps, and stuff like that etc. (might not be challenging to the more experienced)

Anyways, i am looking for a big sucker. Something around 700 or 800 cc.
Or even a 650, something that is very powerful

I need something that is very very reliable, and that will last a good long time. Obviously we will be keep it maintained etc.

So any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too....It's my experience that the more power the less reliability....produces higher torque and is therefore harder on parts...riding hard also decreases reliability....Hell I managed to break my foreman 400....THE most reliable machine ever made.

Every brand has lemmons, maintenence has a LOT to do with reliability.

What your going to get here is differing opinions based on each users preference....Cat/Yammi/Kawi/Honda/suzuki/polaris

I'd figure the Rincon 675cc would be a good machine, but it's new and not tested fully yet....next I like suzuki, so the 750 might be your style personally I figure the suzuki 450 is an ideal machine....

Let the opinions Roll...........

Canaminator

Reaction score
I have a Can-am 650 tops out at 70 mph does wicked in the mud is used mostly for trail riding is comfortable and reliable. Came with a 36 month warrenty plows snow, hauls out moose in the fall does it all and is not to powerful to overwhelm the wife. It has arguably the best 4 wheel drive system and the most power per cube . I love the machine and it beats the pants off my buddies 650 rincon Just my thoughts

Byron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im 15 and i got a 08 brute force 650i it is a great machine it already has 1200 km on it and the only thing wrong with it is that i bent my tie rod no biggie and that was my fault and that onlt costed 80 bucks and it tops out at 111km/h

i would HIGHLY recomend this bike

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
You looking to get killed aren't you?. Why want something that is that powerful. Well I know why BUT your parents would not be smart to let you get a machine bigger than a 500 . And that can get you in trouble still. I personally would not let my son while living under my roof get a machine that big. I know I sound like a loser to you but I'm a mom and that is how I feel. Just last weekend a grown man was found dead under his quad, hours after he was to return.

williamg

Reaction score
Hi me my self i had a polaris 700 twin and it went great if u want power and a great 4x4 i think u will love a polarise 700 or 800 twin

littleark

Reaction score
Alright, so i might have found an atv.

Its a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 800 Stealth Edition for only 3500 bucks. Is this a good deal? and reliable and powerful?

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what you described your riding habit would dictate a 4x4 utility quad. Second for what your going to be doing with it, nothing more than a 500 v-twin, plenty of power, plenty of reliability, plenty of everything for the size of rider you are. I have owned just about every brand of quad there is on the market, right now I am trying out the can-am 500h.o. v-twins and really like them, like bogger said every brand has lemons..........

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go for the new yamaha 550 with power steering.
Cause it a yamaha it the best in its class

carter.c

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You looking to get killed aren't you?. Why want something that is that powerful. Well I know why BUT your parents would not be smart to let you get a machine bigger than a 500 . And that can get you in trouble still. I personally would not let my son while living under my roof get a machine that big. I know I sound like a loser to you but I'm a mom and that is how I feel. Just last weekend a grown man was found dead under his quad, hours after he was to return.

excellent advice! these people that bash off roading after every long weekend after they read about all the atv accidents wouldnt have much to complain about if people bought quads that fit their riding ability and their size! i believe that you should buy a quad that you can RIDE not just drive.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd get the Honda 420, I've got a buddy with one and that little bike will go through anything and you know a Honda will last forever.
Sure you could get a 650 + but with the extra weight, your gonna kill yourself if you get stuck, don't under estamate the little honda.

Top Bottom