Buying gear

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I just bought my first mountain sled at the end of last season (took 1 trip to Vailmount, came home and bought one). I am looking to purchase the rest of the gear that I need (ie. beacon, shovel, probe, boots.....etc.)
I took a look at the new 2008 Skidoo accessory flyer that I'm sure many of you got in the mail, and nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the prices they are listing.($120 for an avalanche probe?....isn't it just like a collapsable tent pole?) I know that brand loyalty runs especially thick in this industry, but do people honestly spend that kind of money to look like a walking advertisement for ski-doo? (hope I don't offend anyone with that comment)
Anyways I was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to where I will find more realistic pricing for these items. (I am in Edmonton).
I am planning to go to the snowmobile show on the 20th, is this a good place to pick up accessories?
Also I am considering picking up a GPS unit to take in the back country with me. I know GPS technology has come a long way, but idealy I would like to find a unit that I could use both in my truck for street navagating, and would also have the ability to be used off the beaten path. Does this technology already exist? and do any of you have any advice or experience in purchasing such a creature.

Quagmire

Senior Sunburnt Member
Reaction score
Klim gear is the best. Iam looking to purchase some this year. I have other brands. But Klim is light and a good product.
Ron and i have GPS with the 2-way radio. It is good to have. See you on the hills.
Steve

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Yes Verti-Kyle, As you know ya play ya pay... Keeps one going back to the money tree, I near got mine picked clean.
You will soon see lots of posts where to get good prices on items required, I am sure.

Buster

Reaction score
Use a steel tent pole and replace the bungy cord with steel wire. Use a fastener on one end to keep the pole from coming apart, a cheep avi probe.
cheers

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Verti-kyle: Wait Til The Sled Show.... There Were Lots Of Very Good Deals On Probes, Shovels, Packs, Peeps At The Different Booths..... I Remember Some Of The Good Probes Were Going For Around $50.00 Or Even Less....

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MEC , Mountain equip co-op is a good place as well .I bought all my safty gear there, emerg bag/blanket,waterproof matches,lighters,candels etc. You can get a probe,shovel there cheap. I got my pack, shovel and probe there as I could try it all in different packs before buying. www.mec.ca

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MEC , Mountain equip co-op is a good place as well .I bought all my safty gear there, emerg bag/blanket,waterproof matches,lighters,candels etc. You can get a probe,shovel there cheap. I got my pack, shovel and probe there as I could try it all in different packs before buying. www.mec.ca

Interesting arcitcle about MEC. Although they are talking more specifically about hunting and fishing, you can draw your own conclusions as to their stance on, lets say, Caribou areas.

tekim:cool:

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well first off, these are the people trying to shut us down from using the beautiful back country. i would not shop there if i was givin 500.00 gift card for free. I would rather pay double at a dealer cause of this. I remember a few years ago in revy there was a person from MEC handing out flyers stating how we are killing all of the caribous habbitat and such. Im just gonna warn you now man as they dont want to support us, why should we support them.

Interesting arcitcle about MEC. Although they are talking more specifically about hunting and fishing, you can draw your own conclusions as to their stance on, lets say, Caribou areas.

tekim:cool:

That is a good article and i think alot of people do not realize that supporting them takes away alot of our riding areas.

This is just my :twocents:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
I remember a few years ago in revy there was a person from MEC handing out flyers stating how we are killing all of the caribous habbitat and why should we support them.

Now that person was a brave soul. MEC BAD.:nono:

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
Hmmm, some good points you guys bring up. As much as I like knowing I got a good deal on something, I certainly am not going to be supporting those who are trying to shut down our access to the back country.
The wifey said she wanted to buy me some stuff for my birthday, so maybe I'll drag her out to the snowmobile show, point out the stuff I like, and then conveniently go to the washroom and pretend like I don't notice that she bought it. :D
Thanx for all of your input. I'll stop my the snow and mud booth at the show and say hi.
Cheers.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, some good points you guys bring up. As much as I like knowing I got a good deal on something, I certainly am not going to be supporting those who are trying to shut down our access to the back country.
The wifey said she wanted to buy me some stuff for my birthday, so maybe I'll drag her out to the snowmobile show, point out the stuff I like, and then conveniently go to the washroom and pretend like I don't notice that she bought it. :D
Thanx for all of your input. I'll stop my the snow and mud booth at the show and say hi.
Cheers.

Maybe we need to put a "Wish List" on here so that the member's better (or worse) halves can check in and see what their dearly beloved REALLY wants for birthday's, Christmas, Easter, 27 day anniversaries, etc., rather than neck ties and knit sweaters with ducks on them (hope I didn't offend anyone with that one)!

tekim:D

PS: I see the Cheapo's at Petro Canada finally decided to sponsor the site. Ha ha ha, JK:D

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheers.

That would be a very good idea. Stick to some of the major brands that have GOR TEX and such. Klim is very good quality and very lite and warm, but it comes with a fair price tag. But like the old saying goes, You get what you pay for.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Klim is unquestionable the best riding gear out there right now...BUT, I am dissapointed with them as I just bought a pair of ther Powerxross gloves and a pair of the klimate boots at a awsome price from south of the border. Next day I get a e-mail telling me that they cannot ship any Klim products to Canada. With our $ at $102 us our prices here are still 30% higher than across the line. That's some good profits in there pockets from us canucks.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Klim is unquestionable the best riding gear out there right now...BUT, I am dissapointed with them as I just bought a pair of ther Powerxross gloves and a pair of the klimate boots at a awsome price from south of the border. Next day I get a e-mail telling me that they cannot ship any Klim products to Canada. With our $ at $102 us our prices here are still 30% higher than across the line. That's some good profits in there pockets from us canucks.

where did you try to order it from?

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a place called A&S Cycle where I have bought a few things, but couldn't do the Klim stuff. Also if you try First place parts they tell you to get ahold of Klim Canada.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a place called A&S Cycle where I have bought a few things, but couldn't do the Klim stuff. Also if you try First place parts they tell you to get ahold of Klim Canada.

Are they in california? I thought they were getting out of the snowmobile market.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New SOS Beacon, Probe ,and shovel.....Under $200 for all.I love shopping E-Bay

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they in california? I thought they were getting out of the snowmobile market.

They are but there still selling stuff off, that's why I'll be riding a yellow sled with a black and orange suit....will look like Kitty Doo

Top Bottom