Buying an XP unseen..Would You?

hippiekiller

Reaction score
Really close to buying a couple of sleds not in my province, I really need some input on what to ask for as far as pictures on the 08-09s, and even looking at a couple of cheap 07's... Im not super familiar with the xps but I have enough buddies riding them hard to justify myself having one...

So far I've been asking for pics of the a-arms, and the mounting points where they attach to the tunnel, and pics of the bulkhead (frame members) from under the clutch cover and recoil, these are a couple of areas that I've seen abuse (impact) show up. Pics from the front bumper for a camber check and I guess an overhead pic of the skiis to check alignment? Is there anyway to get pics of the s-module or is the skid plate in the way? How strong are these steering columns?
What else should a dude buying a sled sight unseen be looking for? What updates for the 08's are considered important to have been done? (sec. shaft, etc)...
thanks, ian

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got what to look for covered, I think just make sure the price is good enough that you hae room to make repairs on the unfore seen and so your not going to be into these sleds for the same price you could get one around home.:beer:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beware of fake ads too. There's tons of them out there. If they say they're out of the country but will handle shipping it to you be wary. If they want to handle the payment through Ebay buyer protection plan, and it's not an add on Ebay....walk away quickly!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
down at the chain case there is a rivet that connects to a e-module frame member... any kind of hit with take it out, looks here. As well get a shot on the outside standing in the front looking directly back, jsut over the a-arm. You will see the gap between the aluminum s-module and the side belly pan panels, if the gaps are not consistant then it has been hit.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really close to buying a couple of sleds not in my province, I really need some input on what to ask for as far as pictures on the 08-09s, and even looking at a couple of cheap 07's... Im not super familiar with the xps but I have enough buddies riding them hard to justify myself having one...

So far I've been asking for pics of the a-arms, and the mounting points where they attach to the tunnel, and pics of the bulkhead (frame members) from under the clutch cover and recoil, these are a couple of areas that I've seen abuse (impact) show up. Pics from the front bumper for a camber check and I guess an overhead pic of the skiis to check alignment? Is there anyway to get pics of the s-module or is the skid plate in the way? How strong are these steering columns?
What else should a dude buying a sled sight unseen be looking for? What updates for the 08's are considered important to have been done? (sec. shaft, etc)...
thanks, ian

Stay away from the 07's. Unseen and without confirmation of a motor update is far to risky IMO.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought one from senorjeem....sight unseen....he sent good pictures of everything. i wasnt even the one to pick it up....when it finally got to my house it was exactly as described...no issues. However, I think this is not the norm. just cover your bases.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can, get a pre-purchase inspection done by a reputable dealer.... IMO they are well worth the money if you can't go look at it yourself.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or you could just come and buy my brothers 09. Low miles, S-36 package, NPP can, SHR clutching, new top end, serviced and ready to go. 7k

Its only 40 minutes away!

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the vin # and have it checked at dealer as it will tell you everything that has been done and the history on the engine as far as hrs,over heat, rpm ranges and % at those rpms and so on.
The seller would have to stop by the dealer to have this done and well worth it IMO

Top Bottom