Buying a used F150

chedder

Reaction score
I have a 2012 ecoboost and while I have been worried about longevity and especially the timing chain, it has been excellent through 85,000 km. The power is incredible. Low end torque is huge for a gas engine. Pulls 24 foot trailer well. Sits at 13 l/km combined which is good in my book. Wouldn't buy an f150 with any other motor

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man Im starting to think I would be better off sticking with the old cummins

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have an 06 dodge 2500 5.9 ltr cummings, .... never got a thing done to the motor, just the truck around it cost me an arm and a leg to maintain, motor never let me down yet, 230k (km) and the fuel consumption show up at 9.6Litr/100k (close to 25mpg). gets better with age,.....

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man Im starting to think I would be better off sticking with the old cummins

That's why I said, don't do it.
5.9l Cummins is bullet proof. Do the body and your good for another 250k.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cummins May last well, but the rest of the truck falls apart. There's more to a vehicle than the engine. The newer F 150's have a good reputation regardless of engine. There's always a few lemons here and there and the odd outright engine failure. Thankfully they're rare. Gas engines for the last 15+ years have been lasting as long as the diesels. Most trucks get tired and problematic before the engine craps out (assuming regular maintenance). This is particularly true with dodge products. Any of the engines in the new F 150's will serve you well and last a long time if you take care of them.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cummins May last well, but the rest of the truck falls apart. There's more to a vehicle than the engine. The newer F 150's have a good reputation regardless of engine. There's always a few lemons here and there and the odd outright engine failure. Thankfully they're rare. Gas engines for the last 15+ years have been lasting as long as the diesels. Most trucks get tired and problematic before the engine craps out (assuming regular maintenance). This is particularly true with dodge products. Any of the engines in the new F 150's will serve you well and last a long time if you take care of them.
Not too sure the "dodge" part of your statement is true... every one of my diesels have been well past 250,000 km (all oilfield type driving) without issues. My last pickup was an 07 3500 6.7 4X4 SRW diesel with 256,000 on the odometer, only thing done to it other then regular maintenance (oil changes, transmission services, diff services, and brake pads) was front axle u-joints and front driveshaft u-joints, and that truck was rode hard and put away wet it's whole life... Not biased by any means, but it had a huge impact on the purchase of my current ride.

Top Bottom