Buying a used F150

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at selling my 99 dodge diesel and updating to something a little more family friendly. I had a 2008 F150 with the 5.4 in it back in 2008 and loved it. Great truck. Just wondering if there are any years or engines to avoid. And if anyone has a line on any good deals let me know. Only looking to spend around 15k. Have found a few clean 2008 5.4s with around 100k for that price range.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the coyote has a big power gain over the 5.4. And down the road when it comes to do plugs/coils it will be waaay easier than the 5.4 in the 04-08 half tons.

I've seen 2011 xlt f150s go for about 20 k around bc on kijji

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. It makes the search a little easier too when a guy can narrow things down.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this just blind brand loyalty speaking, or is there a reason to stay away from the newer f150s? I thought they were pretty good trucks? I really liked the one that I had, but I didnt have it for that long. Mike you used to ride a cat and liked it so your opinion cant be trusted! haha

What would be a better alternative then? 15-20k, half tonne, crew cab, good on fuel

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own 2 2013 F150's and might be acquiring a 3rd one (2015 most likely) shortly. I also got my one family member into a 2014. So far they have been not too bad of trucks. The engine I like is now discontinued but oh well. Service was the worst with them but I found a local Ford dealer that is just flat out awesome to deal with so it makes all the difference in the world.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's no real problems with the newer 5.0L f150s they are solid motors in solid trucks, these guys are all just haters. If i ever bought another half ton it would be a 5.0 or better yet a 6.2 in a f150.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own 2 2013 F150's and might be acquiring a 3rd one (2015 most likely) shortly. I also got my one family member into a 2014. So far they have been not too bad of trucks. The engine I like is now discontinued but oh well. Service was the worst with them but I found a local Ford dealer that is just flat out awesome to deal with so it makes all the difference in the world.

If your buying new the ford maintenance plans are good, just drop your truck off and anything that needs to be done is done and there's no bill when you pick it up. All pre paid when you purchase the vehicle, covers all maintenance items including brakes and spark plugs.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your buying new the ford maintenance plans are good, just drop your truck off and anything that needs to be done is done and there's no bill when you pick it up. All pre paid when you purchase the vehicle, covers all maintenance items including brakes and spark plugs.

Meh. Maintenance plans are overpriced for the actual value back out of them. My trucks are so easy to do the basics on if the 16 spark plugs each they both have are honestly ticking me off bad enough I will pay someone to do them. Oil, air filter and whatnot are all super simple to do. The 5.0 liter is the only choice left if you want new with a V8. Did a Canada wide search yesterday at a dealership for any remaining new 2014 6.2 F150's on lots and supposedly there is none.

I know the op wants used but the only 6.2 powered 11's and 12's are Limiteds, Harleys, Raptors and the very few regular Lariats that got them. Not to mention all of those trim level trucks are retardedly overpriced to buy used.

Sure 13 and 14 you can get the 6.2 in XLT'S and FX4'S (I own an FX4 and an XLT that are 6.2 powered) but again good luck getting one reasonably priced.

The 5.slow is a much cheaper way to go.

Last edited:

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not everyone knows how to use a wrench though, or they shouldn't use one.

I know alot of people are scared of the 3.5 but working as a ford tech i have only seen two engine failures since they came out that wasn't cause by the customer, tuning and no oil changes kill them fast. we have seen mor 5.0 problems actually. That stupid 3.5 has held up really well surprisingly even have some pilot trucks that come in with well over 300 000km on them.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct... hence why my mother's truck has a maintenance plan lol. And also correct... if I buy a 15 it will be an Eco and not a 5 liter. Beyond being relatively gutless in anything bigger than a reg cab shorty the knocking and oil burning... sounds like an LS GM with afm.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are the 5.3 vortecs like for fuel consumption and reliability?

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are the 5.3 vortecs like for fuel consumption and reliability?

The engine I was mentioning when I said afm issues is most commonly the 5.3.... only because beyond the odd obscurity every 5.3 2007 upward has active fuel management. I'm no fan of them... the rings coke up in the cylinders that shut off and the lifters themselves are fairly failure prone. Just type in 5.3 afm problems in Google and see what I mean. GM dicked around for a whole with a Suburban we had for a while and never did fix it. In a 700 km drive the oil pan would only have about 2 to 3 liters left out of the 6 they hold...

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buying any new 1/2 ton is hit or miss. All brands have issues of their own. It seems maintenance and good luck are all you can bet on. Warranty is always a good thing on any new truck.

Top Bottom