Buying a toy hauler?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my folks want to purchase a toyhauler (prefferably non fifth wheel) in the low to mid 20 foot range. They asked me for some advice on which brands and such and quite honestly, I'm not quite up on RVs and whos a decent brand etc etc. With that said, what brands are known for good quality, warranty and overall features? Also who are the good dealers in Alberta? IE won't jerk you around and treat a customer like crap. Lastly what are some "must have" features in this sort of an RV?

Thanks folks!

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres a used one at the petro can in Morinville. Triple axle bumper pull.
As you live in St albert i'ts not much of a drive.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
You want an enclosed garage, this way the mud, water and gas fumes don't go into living quarters. Friends of ours have a "Hideout" bumper pull, don't know who makes it though, fits 2 quads. Double axle .

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I've got a Crossfire built by Crossroads.Bought it at Grove RV.So far really happy with trailer.Dealership has treated us very well.This is the second trailer from them.

dirtygirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.safetybuilders.com
I've got a Crossfire built by Crossroads.Bought it at Grove RV.So far really happy with trailer.Dealership has treated us very well.This is the second trailer from them.

Yup, I'm with Mike on this one. We also have a Crossfire by Crossroads and bought it at Grove RV. Very reasonable prices and after sales service is excellent and not over priced. We had them flip the axle so we can better access those random campsites. We only figured that one out AFTER we ripped off the rear jacks in Nordegg. :d

Ours can haul all 3 of our quads plus the kitchen sink.:d

It's 34 feet though so it might be a little large for them. It has an enclosed garage and an exterior fueling station and pressure washer. Rubirose is right you don't want all that mud where you sleep. Not to mention the smell of gas etc.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.:eek:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Yup, I'm with Mike on this one. We also have a Crossfire by Crossroads and bought it at Grove RV. Very reasonable prices and after sales service is excellent and not over priced. We had them flip the axle so we can better access those random campsites. We only figured that one out AFTER we ripped off the rear jacks in Nordegg. :d

Ours can haul all 3 of our quads plus the kitchen sink.:d

It's 34 feet though so it might be a little large for them. It has an enclosed garage and an exterior fueling station and pressure washer. Rubirose is right you don't want all that mud where you sleep. Not to mention the smell of gas etc.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.:eek:

I haven't flipped the axles(yet) but my jacks got torn off on the Vega ferry.I think theres pics in my profile.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a Delmar model at one of the RV dealers on camper row b/w Nisku and Leduc. The dealer across from Western RV. It is 29' and a very good set up. Walk around queen bed up front, couch and dinette slide out, the bathroom is the whole width of the trailer b/w the living area and the garage. Toilet and sink on one side w/ the tub/shower on the other. A door separates the washroom from the living area and a separate door from washroom into the garage.

Bearman

Reaction score
My advice is don't buy a toy hauler. Its like buying a SUV and you think it will be great for 4X4 ing, not going to happen.

I am not sure what you have for a tow vehicle but I am hopeing that its a truck. If so get your self an aluminum deck for the toys and keep them out of your living space.
One thing this will do is keep the little woman happy and believe you me that is more important than having your toys in the house.

The price of the decks is not too bad and this allows you to stick with the 20 foot trailer idea which is great. Another bonus here is the ability to manouver in tight turn arounds you will find in many sled destinations.
I have owned a 30 foot enclosed wells cargo sled trailer and ran into some interesting trips when some block head parked in the turnaround loop at the end of a logging road, not my idea of fun.

The guys that flipped their axels are exactly right on, make sure this is done before taking any trailer off the lot , be sure the leaf springs are sitting on top of the axels, this is not only important for jacks but more important are your sewer pipes. If you are going in the bush, clearance is not an option it is an neccesity. There are many options out there and keep asking questions, also give more information on useage and tow vehicle.
Enjoy
Bearman

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We purchased a toyhauler last year.
It does not have a garage.
We have no smells or anything inside.
Roll up the carpet and you have a rubber floor.
The garage size is important.
Our quads are too wide side by side to fit 8 feet.
Also the length of the garage.
Some are short as well.
Our friends have a garage and it really does not seal anyway.
I think either way is great with or without a garage.
I have been to too many accidents with trucks with decks and all that weight up above.
Just my 2 cents

chucker

Reaction score
I just spent 4 days in the bush quadding, south of Hinton. A friend showed up with his parents toyhauler. Best one I have seen, every option you could think of and more. 43 ft of luxury trailer and garage, 3 t.v.'s, 3 slide outs, power awning, power screen for garage door, fuel station, ext. tv with sound system, 5 cameras to help in backing up, 12 ft. long garage that can fit 2 quads side by side, etc. Its made by Enduramax (Gulfstream), model is "Wide Open". Not for everybody but still a nice trailer.

bullfrog123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As chucker said, measure your wheelers to make sure they will fit!!!! My old Yammi and the 250 Polaris would fit side by side, but..... My new Cat is 3" wider, now have to load them "inline". Never had issues with fumes yet, and easy to clean up, fold down back door and sweep it out. Easy.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 51

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have no problems with fumes either.
We back one in and other one forward kind of stagered works great.
Kind of like bullfrogs123

dirtygirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.safetybuilders.com
I guess I never realized how wide our hauler is because we can get a Polaris 500. 300 and 90 in side by side and one in front.

You can see empty and full. Well only the two quads but I don't have a picture of the 90 in the back yet but it fits in front of mine and then all the other stuff goes in and around!:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Attachments

• 100_1076.jpg
    100_1076.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_1087.jpg
    100_1087.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 54

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 08 26ft toy hauler, that does not have the seperate garage and I have not had a problem with smell either and when i bring the Rhino in it is usually covered and filled with muskeg. Our trailer had vinyl flooring and i just roll out the carpet to park on so it is easy clean, I only have hauled fuel injected machines in it and i think that is where the problem with smell would come from is with a carbarated machine.

I would also say that toy haulers are HEAVY and is you do not get the seperate garage, then the couch and the seating all fold against the wall. IMO this makes the furniture a little less sturdy.
Hope it helps
happy hunting

Oh and my trailer is a Fleetwood and i have not been very happy at all with their quality or workmanship, I have fixed all of the problems now but i think it cost me close to 5k to fix what never should have broke in the first place.
If you are buying new make sure to check out the company that built it, as they are the ones that give you warrenty, if they go broke you are SOL

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have the rubber floor as well.
One quad is 50 inchs with with tires and wheel spaces.
Here is a picture inside.
We pack everything else around them.
Good luck in your search for a toyhauler.

Attachments

• IMG00114.jpg
    IMG00114.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 52

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2006 jayco talon. Its 28 feet long, bumper pull with all the bells and whistles, built in gen, heated/insulated tanks good for -20, dual heat and hot water, stereo, everything. Has 10 foot garage that is closed off and i have to admit it is much nicer that way. its is a fabulous unit and serves the purpose well, how ever there are a couple of down falls. 1) its heavy, 7800lbs dry to be exact wich means not too many fuel stations are missed. i use to pull it with a 3/4 dodge cummins but know use a 1 ton ford and have to say both trucks pulled it well. 2) with a bumper puller your that much longer in length. i bought the toy hauler to put the quads in with the idea of buying a small 10ft boat that i could put in the box of the truck. seeing how i never did buy the boat a fifth wheel model may have been a better choice.
must say the jayco brand is very good quality and great warranty. folks a happy trails rv in prince george did a good job. think they have another lot in gp.

maxedcat650h1

Reaction score
i own a 38ft raptor seperate garage and it being great we put 2 cat 650h1s side by side and a dirt bike at the back i bought in north dakota the best price and dealship iv found its a great unit the also make bumper pulls and i never had any issues at the border and srvice not a problem woodys told me 6 weeks i phoned the dealer in north dakota and they booked me in the following day in edmonton and took care of everything the dealers in alberta should take some lessons from capital rv in bismark north dakota gordie bentz and his team are the best and yes i did my research

Top Bottom