Buying a Quad

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never owned one but I am looking to buy some thing around a 700cc 4x4 quad wandering what would be the most reliable? Good in deeper water.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Water riding will require proper mods to just about any of the machines. From what I've seen, the Polaris machines have about the best factory snorkels....but for other reasons I'm not a Polaris fan. There are as many opinions on this as there are people riding....so the best thing is to ride a few of your buddies machines and get a feel for what you want, then buy it and personalize it. You'll want tires, skid plates and snorkels right off the bat. MY opinion is to get a 650 Can Am. V-twin power will put all the 700's behind and run with many 800's. With skids and snorkels, the trailing arm rear suspension makes it a best in class mud/water runner. Again, just my opinion....you'll get just as many props for 700 Grizz, 650/750 Kawi, 700 Poo, 700 Suzi, etc, etc.....

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^x2. Personally, big bore single cylinder quads don't impress me so go for the v twin.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never owned one but I am looking to buy some thing around a 700cc 4x4 quad wandering what would be the most reliable? Good in deeper water.

Depends on how much you want to spend on mods. I would probably say the most reliable and best stock quad would be the Grizzly 700. They can go fairly deep without snorkels, have excellent clearance and have the best belt system. They don't have the power of the Brutes or Can-ams with the V-Twins but hold there own and still have plenty of power to play in mud, water, hills or anything else you want to throw at them.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grizzly, been the best selling quad to date. Twin's you will have more torque, but then you could also have twice the problems because of the two cyl over the single.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife rides a 700 Sportsman, you can run it up to the gas cap with no issues.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cats are heavier than the rest......

less than 100lbs heavier than your Grizzly.

has WAY more ground clearance by far.

comes clutch kitted for bigger tires comes with bigger heavier tires to begin with "which you end up putting on after anways"

comes with factory snorkels so no tuning or worrying about if they are the right size plus they look good.

basically the bike comes stock with everything i put on my bike after.

imho you cant beat that fanboy or not and i own a yamaha so im not some cat lover i just look at that quad and cant say much bad about it.

even the oil filter is easier to change on them they might be bigger but from what i was looking at that makes them easier to work on as well.

saskadude

Reaction score
I personally own an ac 700 and a 700 mud pro and these are the best factory machines you can get for mudding not to mention 2yr warranty. I have been in water over my head and with 29.5 outlaws i was able to swim the quad to shore while running and did not get anything wet. I ride with about 15 to 20 other quads, and i am always the test pilot for new mudholes. I also spend tons of time pulling out other quads. The only other quad which comes close is the 800 renegade which after snorkelling and tires runs you close to 15g.
#1--Arctic Cat
#2--Canam
#3--yamaha
#4--suzuki
#5--Polaris
#6--Kawi (only reason I rate this last is because they are belt eaters)
:cool:PASASKMAN

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have 2200km on my original belt. i have never heard of kawi's being belt eaters. By the sounds of it you do a lot of riding with lots of people so you may have a better idea.

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you are looking to buy brand new my boyfriend and i bought a 650Brute Force from E&S sports in Fort Saskatchewan last yeat and it has done us really well! We have had it buried to the bars and never had a problem with it. We put 27" ITP Mudlites on it but thats all so far! We got a really good deal to and Bob is a really good guy to deal with I definatly recommend him.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally own an ac 700 and a 700 mud pro and these are the best factory machines you can get for mudding not to mention 2yr warranty. I have been in water over my head and with 29.5 outlaws i was able to swim the quad to shore while running and did not get anything wet. I ride with about 15 to 20 other quads, and i am always the test pilot for new mudholes. I also spend tons of time pulling out other quads. The only other quad which comes close is the 800 renegade which after snorkelling and tires runs you close to 15g.
#1--Arctic Cat
#2--Canam
#3--yamaha
#4--suzuki
#5--Polaris

i have to agree...we sell the suzuki, yamaha and arctic cat. however,no other manufacturer sells a unit like the mud pro. with everything on it out of the box, yes it is heavier, but it does nt take long to look at comparitive models and see where the extra weight was shaved off.... plastic racks and bumpers. I dont think it has to be the lightest to be the best....but for mud running the mudpro is pretty darn nice out of the box. only think u need is a box for the back for ur extras....the 700 is geared lower, but now they have the 1000 mudpro that i know is no slowpoke...

all atvs today are pretty darn good, u just have to decide your purpose and find the one best suited for you. The Arctic Cat is heavier but its like your 3/4 ton and the others are like a 1/2 ton, you dont have the top speed that u would have on a 750 kinqquad..but if you want it all theres always a sacrifice...my quads all have a tow rope attached to the back...and its for my fellow atv'ers. and for me.... but i used it less for myself.....just the facts..

its also about howmuch u pay to get to and from your favorite spot, ride is important, features are important, and the amount of the cheque u have to scratch out is also important....

try as many as you can..do your homework..make your decision..pick your dealer.. find one that works for you, atv and dealer....thats all you need to do..

any questions...
call us...

Terry

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you dont have the top speed that u would have on a 750 kinqquad..

That's not the first machine I would list if top speed is the factor...LOL.

I re-iterate: TEST DRIVE a few. Sure MudPro machines are set up right out of the box for mud/water...but I have owned 2 AC quads, and they are the most ill-handling, heavy, arm-jerking, back-smashing machines made...in MY opinion. Yours may differ.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree about the ride on the Artic Cats. I now have 3 King Quads and a 09 Renegade X and they are all pretty much the same in quality EXCEPT the money pit Polaris.

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
iv got an 09 polaris xp 850 le with 28 inch zillas. iv put 3400 kms of hard abusive riding on it and have only replaced one belt. its a little heavy but iv had water up to the head light and it ran the whole time. all my friends with brutes are lookin at buyin one now that they've ridden it. they call it the cadilac of the group.

Top Bottom