Buying a new sled

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been posted but I tried to search several combinations of “buying a new sled” but did not find anything....

I am considering purchasing my first skidoo and was hoping some of you would be willing to help me out with not only what to look for but what I realistically need. I’ve got a lot of experience with quads, sport bikes, SXS’s and dirt bikes so I know how to respect the power, not be stupid and ride responsibly.

I’ve watched videos on looking at the ski alignment, A-arms and making sure the tunnel is straight but don’t completely understand things like what exactly a 180 track is or the difference between a mountain sled and other skidoo’s.

I was really appreciate any assistance, hints and tips you are able to lend to help me in my quest for a winter sport in Alberta!!!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First you need to describe the type of riding your interested in .

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Being from Calgary, I will assume you will be riding the mountains and if that is not your initial idea, I will bet that you will be there shortly as there isn't much for riding in and around Calgary.

A 163" track is ideal although a lot of people are having fun on the 154". The 154" crowd are great riders or else they are stuck quite a bit of the time in the mountains. The SkiDoo summits are mountain designed sleds and the Freeride is another sled that is built a little tougher for the hard riding guys. The SkiDoo's with an 800 etec motor (2012 to 2016) are and were very dependable. In 2017 BRP came out with an 850cc motor and generally speaking they have mostly been good sleds. You mentioned Skidoo in your post, so I provided some general information. As for inspecting an older sled, it would be a good idea to get a snowmobile riding buddy to help you inspect it. There are a lot of broken sleds out there for sale.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, I did respond but it appears it did not post properly.....

Being from Alberta, I guess I would say Mountain with family and buddies mixed in. I have absolutely no interest in high marking but do ride COMPLETELY different when with buddies as I do with the wife and 8yr old.

That being said, with the exception of high marking, I would have to say I would pretty much ride all the terrains...flat with the family, fun with the boys!!!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don’t rule out cats, M800/m600 pretty bulletproof as long as you stay away from 2012-13 models . You will do fine with a 153 inch track , makes it a bit lighter and easier too manage for your wife and kids. Also stay away from turboed or modified sleds . The newer sleds are ready to go out of the box, stock works .

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Don’t rule out cats, M800/m600 pretty bulletproof as long as you stay away from 2012-13 models . You will do fine with a 153 inch track , makes it a bit lighter and easier too manage for your wife and kids. Also stay away from turboed or modified sleds . The newer sleds are ready to go out of the box, stock works .

To be honest, I’ve not ruled out any manufacturer with the exception of the fact I like Can-Am. I’ve had one of their quads and currently own a SxS and two Seadoo’s all made by Bombardier but am not sure how they translate to the sled world.

As for the track, I am still not too sure about what each different size equates to but I will be the only one driving it. My wife only wants to be a passenger and I would just get one for her if she did want to drive instead. My son is only 8...far too young IMO to ride a big machine this size.

I just want something that won’t (hard to) get stuck and is fairly bulletproof.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can’t go wrong with cat or doo. , if doubling is a possibility that’s a whole different monster.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Can’t go wrong with cat or doo. , if doubling is a possibility that’s a whole different monster.

I would be with the wife and kid but that would be limited to cruising down a logging road or groomed path for a hot dog roast....nothing fast or “unsafe” as she puts it when referring to how I ride

Anything else would be strictly by myself outside of an emergency.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My opinion trail sleds are just that, not as versatile. Very comfortable and capable for what there made for.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
My opinion trail sleds are just that, not as versatile. Very comfortable and capable for what there made for.

I definitely don’t think I want a trail sled as 95% of my riding would be through the trees in the hills

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No matter what make you go with there’s good and bad with all of them. Personally I’m a doo guy but have had Polaris sleds in the past that were very good machines...I haven’t had any experience with Cats and I don’t want to turn your thread into a “breed” bashing. I think your biggest decision is going to be about the track. If you’re just getting your feet wet I would recommend a 154x2.5. The 154 length is good for flotation in some deeper snow yet still remaining easily maneuverable. The 2.5 paddle will do well in the powder and also be short enough to run on the trail for proper cooling. This would let you get your feet wet and see what works for you, should you decide you want a bigger track later it would be a great sled for your wife. I ran this combination on my 2015 Summit X and it taught me to be a better rider after getting out of the sport for a few years. I’ve now gone to a 165x3 not to go steeper and deeper but simply to do what I did before just a lot easier.

Just my 2 cents!

Not to hijack your thread but if you’re considering used I have my 15 for sale that has been completely checked over by Linderman. Feel free to PM me if you’d like more info.

Cheers and good luck with your search!!

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with your wide variety of riding it makes it harder to make recomebdations, but also i didnt see anything to do with year or budget your wanting to work with, those items would help with peoples opinions. im a doo guy but say ride what your comfortable with they all have good and bad, not trying to steal post but i also have a older xp with clutches and complete engine done. real good shape for year and you could purchase a 2up seat for it. if interested message me

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
with your wide variety of riding it makes it harder to make recomebdations, but also i didnt see anything to do with year or budget.....

I would say, while I want to maintain the ability to ride flat land with the family, most of my riding would be in the trees out in the mountains.

As for price, I don’t really have a budget in mind. I am fully open to new and used. If I am paying 8,000 for a used machine but could get a new one with a three year factory warranty for 11-12, that almost makes more sense unless the used comes with a lot of mods and options

Top Bottom