Bush FSR conditions.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a disclaimer cause I'm getting quite a few people asking. I'd be happy to show people around back here. Tons of riding back there from Hope, to prattle , chatters, dewers ext... Very Remote,,, Dangerous roads,, extreme Avalanche conditions. If you've road back here you know what I'm talking about. If you've only been riding a couple years. Not the place for you. It not a big secret place,, most people just get scared and don't want to come back. If you are a competent rider (ie getting stuck in some of these places is NO good) and have a fairly high risk tolerance (ie you don't have 5 kids and a wife depending on you for food) by all means any time Pm me we'll set up a ride cause I'm down:beer:

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a disclaimer cause I'm getting quite a few people asking. I'd be happy to show people around back here. Tons of riding back there from Hope, to prattle , chatters, dewers ext... Very Remote,,, Dangerous roads,, extreme Avalanche conditions. If you've road back here you know what I'm talking about. If you've only been riding a couple years. Not the place for you. It not a big secret place,, most people just get scared and don't want to come back. If you are a competent rider (ie getting stuck in some of these places is NO good) and have a fairly high risk tolerance (ie you don't have 5 kids and a wife depending on you for food) by all means any time Pm me we'll set up a ride cause I'm down:beer:

What he said ^^^^. Don't think for a second that just because you read about it on the internet that this area is rideable for the majority of the backyard bobs. This is huge country and huge risk in many of these areas, take some advice and get a clue before blindly following sled tracks off some comments on a sled forum. Logic like that will get you in trouble. To give you an idea, the avy cycle that ran through this area last spring produced some debris piles that could be seen over the tops of the trees when driving on the main road, we're talking 50-60+ ft deep. If you think I'm a over-reactor or some kind of zealot, I have some vid clips of an avy run out zone that cut a half pipe 100 ft across and 20-25 ft deep right through a road, and ran out well beyond the base of the zone. Nothing you would ever have a chance of living through. I will try and get them posted up soon.

Ride safe kids.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have rode in hope creek and ya it has some very dangerous avy paths you have to ride through.

Sent from my phone

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X3 on what lilduke and modman say. You are on your own up here. Make sure you have experience of the area, there is a ton of roads that go no where and alot go into dangerous areas(un marked washouts, slides, whoops, dips, missing culverts, etc). If you are unfamilair in this area it could be fatal. Rides are extremely long, typically 30km plus of trail before any action and you are passing large avalanche paths on the way to get into it(could be a nightmare on the way out). Hell i have seen washouts this year that have vechicles on the other side for weeks. Maintenance is scacre up bush or past chatters turn out, and as mentioned it is very remote. Tolerance for risk is a must and knowledge the area before snow hits it helps substaintially. As well the weather can be very tempermental and extreme changes.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What he said ^^^^. Don't think for a second that just because you read about it on the internet that this area is rideable for the majority of the backyard bobs. This is huge country and huge risk in many of these areas, take some advice and get a clue before blindly following sled tracks off some comments on a sled forum. Logic like that will get you in trouble. To give you an idea, the avy cycle that ran through this area last spring produced some debris piles that could be seen over the tops of the trees when driving on the main road, we're talking 50-60+ ft deep. If you think I'm a over-reactor or some kind of zealot, I have some vid clips of an avy run out zone that cut a half pipe 100 ft across and 20-25 ft deep right through a road, and ran out well beyond the base of the zone. Nothing you would ever have a chance of living through. I will try and get them posted up soon.

Ride safe kids.

Closest thing to a class5 avalanche ive ever seen was in the very first bowl that you cross at Hope creek. Chunks of snow the size of apartment buildings.... One day we trigger around 100 Avy's.... My Dad, who got me into sledding and showed me Hope creek,,, never went sledding again after that day

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Closest thing to a class5 avalanche ive ever seen was in the very first bowl that you cross at Hope creek. Chunks of snow the size of apartment buildings.... One day we trigger around 100 Avy's.... My Dad, who got me into sledding and showed me Hope creek,,, never went sledding again after that day

Yeah, that hill in Hope slides most years, if you want a story about it ask one of the members here, they can tell you about their experience. It would make lots of people think twice about their level of risk exposure that most are oblivious to. The remoteness and size of the BR road area are too significant to ignore. I have a family waiting for me at home.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that hill in Hope slides most years, if you want a story about it ask one of the members here, they can tell you about their experience. It would make lots of people think twice about their level of risk exposure that most are oblivious to. The remoteness and size of the BR road area are too significant to ignore. I have a family waiting for me at home.
Is that the guy who broke his legs back there a few years back?? S&R dug a guy out couple years back at Hope and he was 15m under the snow. I respect your position and that's why I put my little disclaimer cause this place isn't for everyone.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another good thing to point out in this area is never ever cross the ice on kinbasket lake up the Bush arm! Been going to Hope for many years and seen where the lake level has dropped and the ice is hanging up in thin air, lake levels change too much!

Agreed, this is great area, huge, but very remote!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another good thing to point out in this area is never ever cross the ice on kinbasket lake up the Bush arm! Been going to Hope for many years and seen where the lake level has dropped and the ice is hanging up in thin air, lake levels change too much!

Agreed, this is great area, huge, but very remote!
Yep good call,, Don't try to Ride on Kinbasket

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BR Avy - YouTube

Here's a link to a vid taken at an avy run out in the area, as I mentioned earlier. 100 ft across, 25 ft deep from where we are standing on the road. When it zooms into the trees near the bottom you can see just how high the run out debris is, this one was probably 25-30 ft deep and one of the "smaller" ones we encountered. We didn't walk down to measure just how deep or wide.

The "walls" you can see on the far side is where the wet spring snow came down and simply carved its way down the mountain, pushing the existing snow into the trees, making its own natural "half pipe" as it ran. Down near the bottom (not shown in the video), it had pushed over the entire forest. This vid was taken about 2 days after the avy once things had firmed up. This location collects from a spot 1500 ft vertical up, with over 2 kms of path to follow.

simmy

Reaction score
Must be the gravitational pull of highway that keeps the snow from sliding at closer zones.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is soooo much terrain back there, it would take a life time to explore just some of it. only private cabins and none near hope itself. there used to be one in hope but "they" burnt it down, so good luck getting stuck overnite in there. some huge slide paths to cross and some with hanging glaciers perched precariously above one of the roads, its amazing they logged back there! I'm told the low road is the better one to use. there are several sections where the road has sunk away. 45minutes each way to play zones so bring fuel.
the 2011/12 season there was sooo many massive slides that crossed the fsr road. even down at 1200m snow and ice stayed in some of these paths until late summer.

I think the word epic sums it up ...

I tryed to get into bluewater last summer but they pulled out all the colverts and 2 bridges, damn there is some epic sledding terrain that should have been realitively easy to get to from that road. but that road scared me in summer.

oh the problems of a first world nation ...

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tryed to get into bluewater last summer but they pulled out all the colverts and 2 bridges, damn there is some epic sledding terrain that should have been realitively easy to get to from that road. but that road scared me in summer.

oh the problems of a first world nation ...

There is 6 pulled to my knowledge. I made it to the 5th one, number 6 was crazy bad. If we had a group of guys head in this way to shovel/fill some of the crossing, it could be pretty awesome up there. Couple of old timers I talked to before always remember riding blue water!

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spend alota time on google earth looking for sled and snowboard terrain and bluewater makes me drool. I also scoped it from the lookout above suzan lake which is at 1682m and looks right up the bluewater drainage. buddy agreed it looked perfect. However the road in is in very poor shape and I wouldn't want anyone other than experts in the crew for that mission.

the slide in the above vid of hope runs several times each season. when I was in there in late june 2012 it was still a good 15ft deep across the road. my logger buddy says they used to blast it to get it open for logging each spring. many of those start zones can't be seen from the road!

I'm told hope is almost garenteed to have phat fresh snow. good snow fall totals and very very few punters

Top Bottom