Building Pack

gorpet

Reaction score
I am building a back pack for myself and need to know what I really need, I have a beacon, shovel but would like to purchase one with a saw in it and I have a probe. I also would like advice on the back pack, I have a few but feel a streamlined one would be better. Also I have purchased a 2008 Phazer Mountain and cannot find where I put my beer?

gorpet

Reaction score
Found the info on the what goes in the pack, but would still like opinions on what pack to buy.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am building a back pack for myself and need to know what I really need, I have a beacon, shovel but would like to purchase one with a saw in it and I have a probe. I also would like advice on the back pack, I have a few but feel a streamlined one would be better. Also I have purchased a 2008 Phazer Mountain and cannot find where I put my beer?

Suggest buying a seperate folding saw, the ones in the shovel are generally crap!!! Ourselves and anyone that we've know to have them, ends up with a broken saw in their shovel and has to buy a seperate shovel anyways. Make sure you get one that has easy to change and easy to buy replacement blades. Maybe you see less trees than our group, but we tend to do quite a bit of pruning and our saws see alot of action.
Our group has Klim packs & HMK packs...Klim are smaller, but well organized storage if you're not packing too much. HMK's are a bit bigger and also a well organized pack. Both of these are pretty streamlined, not bulky packs.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BCA stuff is also good. I have their Stash pack and it has enough room for my stuff...and being a mod guy I tend to pack a lot of tools.... :)

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dakine makes a real nice pack... I suggest you take an avy course! before you head out!!

gorpet

Reaction score
Had a few Avi coures, as I have spent 40 years on skis, have first aid (ski Patrol) and this being my first year as a owner plan on being really mello. Been out a few time with cousins in the Fernie Area. (Harvey Pass) and 2 years ago got to spend a night out in the bush waiting for things to freeze up to get out of somewhere I could never find again. My cousins are good snowmobilers and if I am in the mountains I will be with them.
I KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THE BUSH THAT IT STILL SCARES ME

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Suggest buying a seperate folding saw, the ones in the shovel are generally crap!!! Ourselves and anyone that we've know to have them, ends up with a broken saw in their shovel and has to buy a seperate shovel anyways.

Just a note here not sure what shovel / saw combo you have bought, the only saw's I have seen in back packing shovels are snow saw's....there not ment for wood...

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here is my 2 cents. My saw in my Voile shovel is broke. ( it is not just a snow saw, it is still lame compared to a real wood saw) I use my larger day pack cause most of the winter i pack my big down jacket which in an emergency may make all the difference. It also alows me to pack my beer in it and i can sinch it down if it is empty. Beer on your sled WILL break. I can't say enough about how important riding with experienced people is to minimising your chances of an epic. Happy riding!

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the SOS bag not to fancy but has spots for the shovel, probe, first aid kit and the odd cool beverage.

BACK PACK.jpg

Top Bottom