Building my 2010 from the frame up......

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well... we are getting closer... here is two more pics of the front end coming together....

Attachments

• IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1154.JPG
    IMG_1154.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 218

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good! Should be a new machine after. But I have to ask, who did that welding? He should have his welder taking away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am not a welder but the guy that did this owns BMC... he is a fabricator, engineer and a millright....does lots of cnc stuff ... so i would like to know from you welders what is so wrong with the welding... just wanting to know... not to start an argument.....to me it looks super strong and i dont think this frame is coming apart in a long time....

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the very first picture the top weld left had side how he ends his weld at the end of the plate is bad, you should wrap the weld around the edge of the plate. The end of that weld is very thin leaving spot for a crack to start. The third picture the top right hand weld it ground down, but you can see a dot in the middle of every start stop. That flaw goes through the weld making a week spot. And there's lot of cold lap we're the weld is not fused into the metal. You will see that after the first few ride it will rust easy.

Denali4me

Reaction score
In the very first picture the top weld left had side how he ends his weld at the end of the plate is bad, you should wrap the weld around the edge of the plate. The end of that weld is very thin leaving spot for a crack to start. The third picture the top right hand weld it ground down, but you can see a dot in the middle of every start stop. That flaw goes through the weld making a week spot. And there's lot of cold lap we're the weld is not fused into the metal. You will see that after the first few ride it will rust easy

Correct. Your welder was in a big hurry or isn't a very good welder. Either way, he doesn't take much pride in his work. I can guarantee those welds have small cracks(crater), stress risers, arc strikes(localized hardening), slag inclusions, etc...

That said, I can also see some issues with the factory welds. A quick Magnetic Particle inspection would have been a good idea. Stress relieving might be overkill, but I would have done it, if it was my frame.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct. Your welder was in a big hurry or isn't a very good welder. Either way, he doesn't take much pride in his work. I can guarantee those welds have small cracks(crater), stress risers, arc strikes(localized hardening), slag inclusions, etc...

That said, I can also see some issues with the factory welds. A quick Magnetic Particle inspection would have been a good idea. Stress relieving might be overkill, but I would have done it, if it was my frame.

Lots of stock frame welds are horrible on all brands. Stress relief might be over kill for sure! But like kwik said it won't come apart anytime to soon! If the stock frame held up for that long that one will hold up better!

Denali4me

Reaction score
Lots of stock frame welds are horrible on all brands. Stress relief might be over kill for sure! But like kwik said it won't come apart anytime to soon! If the stock frame held up for that long that one will hold up better!

Probably, but not necessarily. The stock frame probably didn't have cracks in it to start with...

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably, but not necessarily. The stock frame probably didn't have cracks in it to start with...

i did not use the cracked and broken frame... its garbage... i used a new good used frame i bought that was in perfect shape... thats the one we reinforced....

yeah ... it is what it is.... im pretty sure if the stock frame lasted me 6 years and just shy of 13,000 km with stock welding this frame with all the hulk reinforced welding will last me another 6 years and another 12000 km ... haha

you know... the GNCC guys down east reinforce there frames too every year they do a complete build from the frame up... i have seen some of there frames and the welding looks like the best welder in the world did it... very beautiful welds... it looks like art... mine does not quite look like art...haha... and these guys destroy these awesome welded frames every year... so even the best welded frames are replaced at the end of the season cause they are stressed and showing breaks with all the reinforced welding that was done... im not to worried....

i know where your coming from thou with having the welding done the way a real pro would do it and the theory behind welding... but it is what it is now and life goes on... haha

and yeah! your right Dave... they are hard on me... hehehe

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
i did not use the cracked and broken frame... its garbage... i used a new good used frame i bought that was in perfect shape... thats the one we reinforced....

yeah ... it is what it is.... im pretty sure if the stock frame lasted me 6 years and just shy of 13,000 km with stock welding this frame with all the hulk reinforced welding will last me another 6 years and another 12000 km ... haha

you know... the GNCC guys down east reinforce there frames too every year they do a complete build from the frame up... i have seen some of there frames and the welding looks like the best welder in the world did it... very beautiful welds... it looks like art... mine does not quite look like art...haha... and these guys destroy these awesome welded frames every year... so even the best welded frames are replaced at the end of the season cause they are stressed and showing breaks with all the reinforced welding that was done... im not to worried....

i know where your coming from thou with having the welding done the way a real pro would do it and the theory behind welding... but it is what it is now and life goes on... haha

and yeah! your right Dave... they are hard on me... hehehe

all that steel is going to change your power to weight ratio....... better get Kevin working on more power adders for ya Mark ;)

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i thought of that already... lol

could nt sleep for a few nights... extra weight... oh my!
yeah we have squeezed every hp out of here in a NA engine... if i want more now i need turbo or NOS... haha...

.... and thats not happening! lol

Denali4me

Reaction score
Yes, I understood that. I was suggesting that the new reinforced frame could actually be weaker than the unreinforced new frame. Not likely, but possible...

I noticed the welding quality right away, but did not chime in until you asked for opinions. I didn't want to derail a nice build thread...

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do another one kwik I would be happy to weld it for you! I got a water jet at work so I can cut plate any shape or design.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh wow... thank you... thanks for the offer... you know.. i always get some one now and then that would like to reinforce there frame.... i think we can made a cent or two... lol... i have another option now...keep that in mind forsure...

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i should get more pics soon... Kevin hopes to have it running this Saturday.. so he can take it to his garage at home cause its cleaner then the shop to do the new decal wrap kit from BLOWN CONCEPTS out of MN to the machine...... will post pics as i get them....

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i should get more pics soon... Kevin hopes to have it running this Saturday.. so he can take it to his garage at home cause its cleaner then the shop to do the new decal wrap kit from BLOWN CONCEPTS out of MN to the machine...... will post pics as i get them....

How long have you been at the rebuild? Seems like it's going really good!

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had the fire in my trailer june 25 th.. my B day of all days! lol ... the fire destroyed the rear of the plastic and wirings and such... just under 12 grand to fix was the estimate... i brought the bike to Kevin for the insurance claim about a week after the 25 th... the machine would have been done already but when kevin had the rear half of the quad all torn down ... we discovered the pooched frame... so then i decided since it was already ripped apart half we rip apart the front end and put a new frame under her... it will be 5 months end of November here....

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg