building a light weight camper

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone ever thought of building a light weigh camper???? im thinking of it!!! i have a f150 with 5.5ft box and tired of tenting

thinking of using aluminum and building it out of 1x2's then using stryo foam insulation......... wanting to put in a 20g water tank, heater, oh and fridge and maybe a stove. dont need a toilet thats what the bush is for lol.

Just looking for pepoles thoughts on this

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
anyone ever thought of building a light weigh camper???? im thinking of it!!! i have a f150 with 5.5ft box and tired of tenting

thinking of using aluminum and building it out of 1x2's then using stryo foam insulation......... wanting to put in a 20g water tank, heater, oh and fridge and maybe a stove. dont need a toilet thats what the bush is for lol.

Just looking for pepoles thoughts on this

CS might dissagree.................

You can buy lightwieght pop-tops.... realistically just use a cap and an air matress....

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think it would be pretty tough to fit all the accessorie in the 5.5 box let alone a camper. you cant even fit a qaud into the box without removing the tailgate. weight wise if ya get it in wouldn't be to bad the f150s have quite a bit of room on the back axle for weight just no length in the box.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
realistically just use a cap and an air matress....

It's worked for me all summer. A friend of mine is working an hour out of town and lives in his canopy 5 days a week as well. He built a raised sleeping platform to get him up off the box of the truck. It's got storage underneath as well. Another guy I know lived in his canopy all last winter with the same raised floor system. Worked well for him, provided he had a warm enough sleeping bag.

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well its not gonna be 5.5 in length with the tail gate down i have 7ft and really just need the essenials. i had a caonpy and sleeping in a 5.5ft box sucks when you 5'11 lol but i think with the alum frame, styro,it'll be light. i just need it to maybe sleep 3 2 over the cab one at the kitchen table. 12v wiring is easy and running some propane lines shouldnt be hard :D.......and bogger ill let cs decorate it so she'll be ok lol. and skining it with alum should keep it cool tooo.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one other thing how the fug do you sleep in 5.5 ft of box. i mean that is if your taller than the average hobbit and bogger and plio that is jk.

Top Bottom