Bruderheim Natural Area Possible Closure

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Well, heres the start of our ATV area's being closed, what will be closed next and where else will people go. Council wants to close this with no access by off road vehicles

If this area closes there will be a big overflow to other area's. This is not good, its been abused a bit too much. This was a big area that even we spent time in. We spent time there cleaning and putting some signs up. :(

Attachments

• bruderheimNatural.pdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 193

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had to see this comin after the fire last summer and the people who just had to go there riding right afterwards,while the ground was still smoldering. to bad, it's a nice close spot to have a little fun.:(

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems ATV are the target. Assume that sparks from a ATV started the fire. Total ATV ban still will not stop the bush parties,garbage dumping and camping.
Still not to late to let them know. send them a letter and express your views in a responsible way. Give them a good response they will listen. County of Lamont is a small country type county should be able to deal with a little better

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems ATV are the target. Assume that sparks from a ATV started the fire. Total ATV ban still will not stop the bush parties,garbage dumping and camping.
Still not to late to let them know. send them a letter and express your views in a responsible way. Give them a good response they will listen. County of Lamont is a small country type county should be able to deal with a little better
than strathcona county!!!:mad:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the tree huggers arn,t going to be happy till eveyone is sitting on the couch.

Nobody is going to be happy until ATV riders start accepting responsibility for the damage they do and put a little effort into limiting or repairing it. If we don't police ourselves, someone sure as chit will. We do have a right to use crown land, we don't have the right to ruin it so that noone else can use it and then walk away, and cry when restrictions are applied.
Sled trails are getting ruined, Horse trails north of Drayton Valley have been rutted up so badly that you wouldn't dare take a horse down them, the walking paths in the parks in town here aren't even safe half the time because people are riding their ATV's on them illegally. For some reason, most of the ATV community seem to think that they have free reign to do as they please with no thought to who gets to clean up afterwards. Way too many parasites out there right now that can afford offroad toys.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The "Tree Huggers" are a whining pain in the butt, however. its US thats leaving the mess for them to complain about.

IF YOU KEEP CRAPPING IN YOUR PANTS, SOONER OR LATER SOMEONE WILL POINT OUT THAT IT SMELLS AND YOU WON'T BE INVITED TO THE PARTY.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree we have the right to crown land but not to destroy it we get into alot of contriversay with people on the trail who dis respect the land i feel if atv's are the cause of the fire a more strict policy needs to be enforced on atv spark arrestors ( use and maintenace ) of them fine those who do not comply and give them once then impond the atv spark arrestors do help we got lucky after crossing a skeg hole my rzr started smoking three miles later found the skeg on the exhaust smldering stopped and used all our drinking water to clean it off and get it out if that fell off heck ya that woulda been an atv fire right there since that we pack more water and keep close eye on everyones machine keep exhaust free after skeg holes too ( i dont want to pay for a forest fire bill and be the blame for ruining others atv leisure ) so if you see someone disrespecting the land you can take plate numers and the can charge the registered owner i have had to go to court last summer for it caught some one in Pipestone park last year and got the plate number for police he was charged $2500 i bet he wont be there anymore

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Banning access is never the answer. That only affects those that decide to comply with regulations. Should vehicles be banned from H'wys to prevent accidents? Of course not.:rant:

The answer is enforcement of rules or Bylaws.

eattheweak

Reaction score
This sucks:confused::( If we sit back it will be lost. I rode out there as a kid my kids ride out there, Really it is one of the areas you can actually get out to it on a week night for a short ride. Like it was said prior the over flow from here will make alread busy areas even more packed. But these are only words actions talk the most. We need to write letters and maybe a rally to save the area (bring the kids). On top of this a early spring clean up rally would be great. shows we are willing to put some actions into what we want. If we can come up with a course of action we should roll on this.

My thoughts

-petition to both counties
-Rally
-Clean up rally
-hook up with the nature resourse people to see what we can do to help in the area, reducing their costs in the end will help
-talk with the bike shops get their support and their venues to spread the word

I'm willing to put sometime to this who else is in

sarkmych

Reaction score
I'm in. Where do I write?? My kids and I have been going there for several years now and its their favorite way to spend a summer afternoon. We follow all the proper legislations with reg. / ins., , spark arrestors, headlights taillights, etc. I've ridden all over that place and I think it is the campers, partiers, bushwackers that are causing all the damage, not the riders.
I do have one question. With all the closures, where do the off-road manufacturers fit into this equation? You'd think they would have some sort of say and/or influence on legislation?? Or am I way off???

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have sent an email with the letter from Lamont County to Councillor Fenske at Strathcona County. I stated that I don't think responsible riders should be punished. There is no direct evidence that ATV users caused the fire. I stated that the County already has hired two peace officers to patrol ATV users, so why don't they spend more of their time in the Bruderheim area, as that is the area that probably contains most of the ATV riding in the County. Not sure if it will help, but the Councillors need to hear our opinions or they'll just be able to say no one cared if they closed the area.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:nono:This Natural area belongs to the Province of Alberta (YOU and ME). That is, if you live in Alberta.Talk to your MP'S.:realmad::rant: and:eek: :rolleyes:stay out of the mud and off the private property out there, reduce the noise from loud mufflers, for just a start.

Bruce.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
:nono:This Natural area belongs to the Province of Alberta (YOU and ME). That is, if you live in Alberta.Talk to your MP'S.:realmad::rant: and:eek: :rolleyes:stay out of the mud and off the private property out there, reduce the noise from loud mufflers, for just a start.

Bruce.

One of the major complaints from area residents has little to do with the riding area..... it is access to the riding area...
On the road in (just before the Inlaws place the speed limit drops to 50km/h) this speed limit applies to all traffic. Too often (pretty much all day) there are quads/trucks/bikes ripping up and down the road at 90-120km/h, Aquarius Ranch has a blind uphill driveway and Len has almost been creamed exiting his property on numerous occasions. It is up to us to play a part in self policing.... I have jumped on the quad when out there and tried to tell guys to slow down on the road to which I'm told to go fugg my hat.....nice...

It will be shut down, which is too bad, but part of the problem is too often we bitch and complain yet when the opportunity presents itself to call someone on their douchebagginess most will mumble to themselves and turn a blind eye..... take licence plate #'s from trucks, if in a group confront the losers as a group.....

Not saying that the letters are not a good idea but actions speak louder than words.... I've left my name with the Lamont County Public works Dept. and offered to organize a large scale clean up of the area, they have all my contact info and my affiliation with aquarius ranch is known to them but I have not recieved any request from them..........

Robins

Reaction score
I agree with Bogger, it more than likely will be shut down in the near future.

Some of my best childhood memories are from riding my little Honda 50cc motorbike in the Bruderheim area. My family and I have been enjoying the Bruderheim Natural Area for over 20 years. Over the years I have seen it change dramatically, from the excavation with Sil Silica to the number of riders frequenting the area.

I have been there two times in the last two years and was very impressed with the RCMP controlling the area. I have witnessed them handing out tickets for speeding, operating OHV on the road, and they have stopped at staging areas checking for alcohol, licence, registration and insurance but it never seems like enough is being done to prevent the problems.

The recent fire that has destroyed the majority of the trees and wildlife habitat in the area is unfortunate, but is there any evidence that it was caused by an ATV or Motorbike? I do know that the possibility is there and it could very well happen if one is not careful. I believe that closing this area will not stop people from riding here and think that a higher presence of law enforcement and more strict laws be put in place to rid the area of the trouble makers that are making all of us enthusiasts look bad to make it a safer place for the family oriented. I want my children to have a place to enjoy the motorsports hobby with me in a safe environment in the years to come.

eattheweak

Reaction score
I'm going to check into this but I was told by a resident of the area that they did find the cause of the fire and it was not ATV or OHV users it was a pipeline work party. I intend to look into this to see if it is true or rumour mill. The fire is just one of the issues but if it can be laid to rest, there is less to deal with. Bogger I say we don't wait we just do the clean up. Set a date and let's see how many we can get out there. They are many things they can do before they shut the area down, one idea that was thrown at me was user fees (I know more money) it could be a way to put some money backinto the area. Or fund raise and donate it to the natural resourse people for that area. Just thrown out ideas

Thanks for the posts (keep them coming) and thanks fargineysore for the email addy

Top Bottom