Bruderheim ATV ban?

crazy240sx

Reaction score
Sorry Bogger, let me clarify my statement. I did in no way try to intend to tell him stay away, it is a public use area and everyone is entitled to ride/drive there as they please. When i go to these areas, I clean up after myself, even others, and ride cautiously as I said, I did smack into a quad at a trail crossing that i did not know was there. That is the only "collision" I've had on a bike with another off road, or on road for that matter, vehicle. I love meeting all sorts of people, riders, off-roaders, quadders, I love all these sports. We've all been young and stupid, trying to do stuff quicker and faster, hitting burms harder, testing yourself. At the same time, the last year of riding has taught me a lot about respecting trails, looking out for other riders, just being safe in general.

But as said before, Bruderheim is a very busy place on weekends, even weekdays and a first time rider isn't going to have time to react to a truck in the trail, bad news..

Also, your pictures from Bruderheim look to be in winter, when dirtbikes and most quads aren't burning around there.. You're going to have a WAY higher chance of incident if you take 4 trucks down the trails on a 30+ degree day on a weekend out there.. But that's all I'm saying, I like to meet new people, whether you off road truck or just ride a little 50cc dirtbike, I'll ride with or around you and hope to never have any physical incidents with you.

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well re-clarified Crazy.. It's always a good idea to be careful how you word your statements..but we all make those mistakes, and I think for the most part we all know & understand the issues that arise in a well-used place like Bruderhiem - the questions is, how do we keep it user-friendly for everyone?

Mat - So right about insurance/registration, I would think that the amount spent on this should go towards maintaining public use land...but does it?

Nice to see you back ranger......

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mat I am not talking about the Bruderheim Natural area.

I should have stated at this Eagle Point "Provincial Park" and Blue Rapids
" Provincial Recreation Area", This is not going to be user "FREE".:eek: It will be Pay To Use. Crown Land can be obtained in the name of "TOURISIM" $1.29 Million++++.:rolleyes:

There has been some numbers thrown around but nothing firm yet...

There are still a few political hurdles to overcome, as well as some of the residents have some concerns about noise coming out of the valley. The guy leading this charge is also a fellow racer, so he invited a group of politicians and residents and took them to a race track, they also had third party a sound test conducted while the group was there, taking readings from the track, the parking lot and then ½ mile and a mile from four directions while the race was under way.

The group was satisfied and pleased with what they saw, even though the race track is last on the list to develop. It was a good way to show /demonstrate to the group the logistics, and noise levels that a large group of off road machines can generate. They went away with a new appreciation for the sport and the people involved.

I for one have been a firm believer that it's a small number of off road riders in all the classes, ie trucks, quads, bikes, or snowmobiles that are the As$holes that dont care and are ruining it for the majority.

A place like this that is being set up in Drayton hopes to be able to eliminate those types...by offering an enviroment that is meant for riders and is clean and taken care of.....

How much would you pay for a day of riding.....

This may be where Bruderhiem winds up .....

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well re-clarified Crazy.. It's always a good idea to be careful how you word your statements..but we all make those mistakes, and I think for the most part we all know & understand the issues that arise in a well-used place like Bruderhiem - the questions is, how do we keep it user-friendly for everyone?

Mat - So right about insurance/registration, I would think that the amount spent on this should go towards maintaining public use land...but does it?

Nice to see you back ranger......
Thank you, Bruce.:cool:

Ok Here I go "ON" :rant:again!! The Bruderheim Area is too small to support the amount of traffic that it has, being one of two Natural Areas, Crown /Public, Nearest a LARGE CITY. How to controll the use:confused: Wizzard Lake is having a boat use issue at this time. (SAFETY), and they are considering a limit of how many boats can be on the water at one time, so "over use" is a big problem in a lot of areas in the Province.
Redwater Natural Area has had some of the same user problems over the years,( not boat use,) "The Frends of Redwater"(some were Horse users) wanted the whole area for their use only, "NO ATV USE", They now have a area in the South West Corner of the Natural Area (fenced off), NO ATV USE. The biggest complaint from the locals was Riding on Private Property, this was solved by blocking off the trails that lead to these properties.And after this we had some of them come on board with the ATV group. To day it is the "NOISE". If we had a inforcable "SOUND BYLAW" in Alberta this would not be a problem, (No after market Mufflers above a given DBL's.) Some County's already have BYLAWS that prohibit the use of modifed mufflers on OHV (ATV'S)
SO IF WE ALL DO OUR PART AS RESPONSABLE USERS, WE MIGHT HAVE A PLACE TO RIDE FOR SOME TIMETO COME.:
:);):d:):ranger:

IF THE MUD HOLES / SKEG ARE NOT ON THE TRAILS, STAY OUT OF THEM.:eek::rolleyes:

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Bruce.:cool:

Ok Here I go "ON" :rant:again!! The Bruderheim Area is too small to support the amount of traffic that it has, being one of two Natural Areas, Crown /Public, Nearest a LARGE CITY. How to controll the use:confused: Wizzard Lake is having a boat use issue at this time. (SAFETY), and they are considering a limit of how many boats can be on the water at one time, so "over use" is a big problem in a lot of areas in the Province.
Redwater Natural Area has had some of the same user problems over the years,( not boat use,) "The Frends of Redwater"(some were Horse users) wanted the whole area for their use only, "NO ATV USE", They now have a area in the South West Corner of the Natural Area (fenced off), NO ATV USE. The biggest complaint from the locals was Riding on Private Property, this was solved by blocking off the trails that lead to these properties.And after this we had some of them come on board with the ATV group. To day it is the "NOISE". If we had a inforcable "SOUND BYLAW" in Alberta this would not be a problem, (No after market Mufflers above a given DBL's.) Some County's already have BYLAWS that prohibit the use of modifed mufflers on OHV (ATV'S)
SO IF WE ALL DO OUR PART AS RESPONSABLE USERS, WE MIGHT HAVE A PLACE TO RIDE FOR SOME TIMETO COME.:
:);):d:):ranger:

IF THE MUD HOLES / SKEG ARE NOT ON THE TRAILS, STAY OUT OF THEM.:eek::rolleyes:

I'd never take my son or a new adult rider to Bruderheim. It's too busy, too much chance of a collision. Our stupid greedy government finallly clued in and said they're going to develop some trail systems in the province, but they also need to develop more campsites. Now with the recession, I doubt that it will happen.

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I think i've had about enough of this Bruderheim talk, it's just a broken record playing itself over and over now.. it's been interesting hearing what some people had to say......unfortunately the only thing that can be done now is sit, wait and hope that people will do their part to ride respectuflly and that everyone will still be able to enjoy it in years to come! PEACE

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noise....it's a tough subject, the only enforceable way for recreation equipment is stay stock, in the aftermarket world....its well impossible, as a racer/racing family, (two racers, two completion horseback riders) we have done a fair bit of research in this area has even on race tracks there is a noise db acceptable level. The problem you have is that every bike set up is different. One of the big race motor builders from the US gave a speech, with statistics to back it up, if you take a reading at a given rpm from a bike at the required distance that may not be the peak of its noise output. IE ever hear a 2-stock wound out or the grunt of a modified 4-stroke as it hits 9000 rpm....so even in racing they cant agree what is acceptable level and how to test.....so for SRD to enforce .....It would have to stay stock. I know some of the manufactures are currently working on building pipes that will supply the extra power and still keep the noise done; it will be interesting to see what hits the market in the next few years…..

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noise....it's a tough subject, the only enforceable way for recreation equipment is stay stock, in the aftermarket world....its well impossible, as a racer/racing family, (two racers, two completion horseback riders) we have done a fair bit of research in this area has even on race tracks there is a noise db acceptable level. The problem you have is that every bike set up is different. One of the big race motor builders from the US gave a speech, with statistics to back it up, if you take a reading at a given rpm from a bike at the required distance that may not be the peak of its noise output. IE ever hear a 2-stock wound out or the grunt of a modified 4-stroke as it hits 9000 rpm....so even in racing they cant agree what is acceptable level and how to test.....so for SRD to enforce .....It would have to stay stock. I know some of the manufactures are currently working on building pipes that will supply the extra power and still keep the noise done; it will be interesting to see what hits the market in the next few years…..

I am afraid that will be too late, we will not have any place near a City, Town, Village, to ride. Whats wrong with stock for pleasure riding and leave the racing to the comercial tracks, people pay lots of money to hear that roar. INDY comming Up. Already complaints about the noise and the Ex grounds, too noisey. :eek: I do not get any Pleasure in getting into a Pi$$!NG Match about My machine is better than yours, LOOK at all my addons in my signature. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Snow and Mud limit us to 10 SMILIES but one can post All the addons to the Quads/Snowmachines that you want:confused: I am going to be like yzgirl09 out of here on this subject.

By the way I do not ride at Bruderheim, First trip many years ago was enough for me, all the mess that was there, and it sounds like it has not changed. But leave it, someone else will clean it up.:nono::paddle::yikes::violin:

mat

Reaction score
Finely broke the ice! Went back to Bruderheim last night...Sorry to all the cow lovers...This place is even better than it was before, Ranger correct me if I'm wrong but fires are good for the ecosystem...There is beautiful purple flowers everywhere, all the dead wood was burn, you can see who is coming a head of you in the trails. I really don't understand what is the big fuss about it... I can tell you one thing ; the guy a the Shell gas station in town he was happy to see me and my money! Go back there enjoy the Crown land that you help pay for with your taxes money, be respectful of the land, spend your money in that half dead town, and we're all going to be OK...I live in Sherwood Park, you don't see me go NUTS every time there is a fire at Petro-Canada... (like once a month) and that harmful chemicals are release...I know it happen if I did not like it I would move... No cows were hurt in the writing of this post!

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said Mat! Petro Can refinery is still goin up in flames once in a while? I worked there for 3 and some odd years.. probably only 2 or 3 fires in that time though...

Either way, I agree....enjoy Bruderhiem, just clean up after yourself!

MudPro

Reaction score
I just got off phone with the Fire Commissions Office. I was told there is no official ATV ban, but they are asking that people stay away if possible because of hotspots. Moral of story stay on the sand trails and all is good.:d And too all you garbage junkies, take you'r crap back out with you, cause anyone with an IQ above 10 should be able too figure that out.:nono:

Landrew

Reaction score
Any updates to the legality of riding there in 2010 and is it rideable right now ?

julliopat

Reaction score
Yes you can ride there already,,, I seen a lot of people there last week end.., you should try redwater it's good too.

Landrew

Reaction score
I should have mentioned - I may be on a bike. Are the woods still snowy ?

My guess is the open pit is fine but the woods are questionable? I have a sport ATV as well but prefer the bike.

Last year I saw a poor guy on a CR500 stuck at the bottom of a hill to the river. It was so icy that he just kept spinning. I don’t want to be that guy!

Landrew

Reaction score
No atv ban but pick ip you damn garbage or we will loose it

Pick your garbage up as well and your beer can's and ciggarette butts while your at it......and don't spit on the sidewalks or roads.......

I don't know why you would infer that I don't. Either way it is good to bring up the garbage subject as the mor it gets mentioned the more people will become aware of it.

Theres nothing worse than being way up a mountain in the middle of no where and seeing a beer can or plastic wrapper that could have been stuck back where and with whom it came from.

Top Bottom