broken clutch - any ideas why?

parthunter

Reaction score
It is my friends 2018 blue summit x 154 , it happened after a steep descend he made on reverse .... I think the belt was cought between the clutch discs in lower position and riped off with a part of the clutch ... a noise was heard but the sled was still pulling so he tried to get up the hill ... sled has less than 150 km on the clock. After Christmas the sled will be inspected at the dealership . Then I will know what happened. Anyway the guy is a killer and I wouldn't let him my sled....

Last edited:

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is my friends 2018 blue summit x 154 , it happened after a steep descend he made on reverse .... I think the belt was cought between the clutch discs in lower position and riped off with a part of the clutch ... a noise was heard but the sled was still pulling so he tried to get up the hill ... sled has less than 150 km on the clock. After Christmas the sled will be inspected at the dealership . Then I will know what happened. Anyway the guy is a killer and I wouldn't let him my sled....

so ... he was doing a steep descend while spinning his track in reverse to slow himself down ?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well they aren't gonna give you any warranty for that.

No were in the manual does it say if you pussy out on a downhill throw the sled in reverse and pin it.

Not saying that's why that happened, just saying they are gonna use it as an out.

I have honestly never heard of anyone actually attempting this.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This move is done all the time in my crew......
It is a very useful technique and when done properly, has no ill effects on man or machine.
What kinda hill are we talking?
I am picturing someone trying this on turbo......

I can see this turning into an uncontrolled run away.

What if you need to get moving again?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm with Turts on this. It is or can be a little scary but the conditions must be right. Soft snow and in a tough spot. By using reverse and controlled speed (it won't go into reverse if you are going to fast and the rpm's are up), you can dig the track in and control the decent or actually stop to re-evalutate where you are going to go. I use it in the trees and I have used it on a steep decent with a thick band of trees at the bottom. In that instance, I shouldn't have been there but I had no where else to go.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Turts on this. It is or can be a little scary but the conditions must be right. Soft snow and in a tough spot. By using reverse and controlled speed (it won't go into reverse if you are going to fast and the rpm's are up), you can dig the track in and control the decent or actually stop to re-evalutate where you are going to go. I use it in the trees and I have used it on a steep decent with a thick band of trees at the bottom. In that instance, I shouldn't have been there but I had no where else to go.
So I have obviously never done this.

Do you have to be stopped to put it in reverse or do you just let off and hit the rer button?

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Turts on this. It is or can be a little scary but the conditions must be right. Soft snow and in a tough spot. By using reverse and controlled speed (it won't go into reverse if you are going to fast and the rpm's are up), you can dig the track in and control the decent or actually stop to re-evalutate where you are going to go. I use it in the trees and I have used it on a steep decent with a thick band of trees at the bottom. In that inrstance, I shouldn't have been there but I had no where else to go.
have done that on many doos. Never had an issue. Back in the day before RER we had to throw the chains over the skis to go down some hills we could never go back up like in North Kootenay pass.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What if your track starts spining forwards while it is in reverse?

Any consequences?

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track has to be stopped before engaging reverse.
A guy needs a good sense of what your track is doing.
Lock the track, hit the reverse button and engage the clutches.
Do not let the track spin forward while the engine is spinning backwards.
Lock the track back up and hit the reverse buttons to get things spinning the right way.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track has to be stopped before engaging reverse.
A guy needs a good sense of what your track is doing.
Lock the track, hit the reverse button and engage the clutches.
Do not let the track spin forward while the engine is spinning backwards.
Lock the track back up and hit the reverse buttons to get things spinning the right way.
Thats how it is done.....

parthunter

Reaction score
Exactly those were the condition as described 🙂 , track must be locked before engaging clutches to protect the drivers and the track but even with poor technique the clutch shouldn’t suffer ...

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a buddy hit reverse while moving forward on a down hill and same damage caused as the picture here.. Exspensive fix and lesson.. Can not hit reverse while track is moving forward and hit throttle..

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Taken directly from 2017 BRP G4 operators manual;

Reverse (RER) When the engine is running, depressing the RER button will slow down engine RPM to almost a stop and advance the ignition timing to invert crank shaft rotation.– Engine will automatically shift into forward when restarting after stopping or stalling.– Shifting procedure will take place only when the engine is running.– If engine is running at a speed above 4300 RPM, the function of the RER button is disabled.– It is recommended to warm up the engine to its normal operating temperature before shifting.Shifting in Reverse 1. Bring vehicle to a complete stop.2. Apply and hold brake. Remain seated, refer to RIDER POSITION(REVERSE OPERATION) for posture information._________________ 105 BASIC PROCEDURES 3. With engine at idle speed, press and release the RER button.4. Wait until reverse beeper sounds, then gently depress throttle lever.

I would think that putting your sled into reverse while the track is in motion was an OK move as some lead to believe. BRP would had not emphasized to bring the snowmobile to a complete stop first.
Now if some had good enough knowledge to at least understand how primary and secondary clutches relate to each other and work together with enough knowledge to also understand how track loads, engine loads combined with ground speed or even movement effect and create a cause and effect scenario on the drive system, would also understand without a doubt that throwing your snowmobile into reverse as pointed out in this thread is not ok. Or as some pointed out "an good maneuver" IMO, learn to ride, then pulling such a move won't even come into a thought of doing.

Unfortunately, that is one of the consequences of dumbness, even a little knowledge with some people makes them dangerous, especially the wrong knowledge that a few have on this thread.
Here is the site for some to read, select year and model and scrole.
http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=dba48796-c6a5-4016-a42a-b8d397b8238a

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Taken directly from 2017 BRP G4 operators manual;

Reverse (RER)When the engine is running, depressing the RER button will slowdown engine RPM to almost a stop and advance the ignition timingto invert crankshaft rotation.– Engine will automatically shift into forward when restarting afterstopping or stalling.– Shifting procedure will take place only when the engine is running.– If engine is running at a speed above 4300 RPM, the function ofthe RER button is disabled.– It is recommended to warm up the engine to its normal operatingtemperature before shifting.Shifting in Reverse1. Bring vehicle to a complete stop.2. Apply and hold brake. Remain seated, refer to RIDER POSITION(REVERSE OPERATION) for posture information._________________ 105BASIC PROCEDURES3. With engine at idle speed, press and release the RER button.4. Wait until reverse beeper sounds, then gently depress throttlelever.

I would think that putting your sled into reverse while the track is in motion was an OK move as some lead to believe. BRP would had not emphasized to bring the snowmobile to a complete stop first.
Now if some had good enough knowledge to at least understand how primary and secondary clutches relate to each other and work together with enough knowledge to also understand how track loads, engine loads combined with ground speed or even movement effect and create a cause and effect scenario on the drive system, would also understand without a doubt that throwing your snowmobile into reverse as pointed out in this thread is not ok. Or as some pointed out "an good maneuver" IMO, learn to ride, then pulling such a move won't even come into a thought of doing.
Thanks, I was starting to worry I was missing out on the lastest fad.

In my mind the way the primary and secondary are setup only to be under load in forward direction.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that is one of the consequences of dumbness, even a little knowledge with some people makes them dangerous, especially the wrong knowledge that a few have on this thread.
Here is the site for some to read, select year and model and scrole.
http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=dba48796-c6a5-4016-a42a-b8d397b8238a

Now I am a dumb arse.................interesting!

Different strokes for different folks and I wonder how I got this far in life if I am that dumb!

Top Bottom