Bringing back th ol' 250 Two-strokes?

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I've been wondering... Wouldn't it be sweeet if all of the companies brought back their 250 and 125 2-strokes? KTM and Yamaha are still going strong on it along with some other companies such as Huscavarna,Husaberg,TM and hats off to them!! But if Kawi,Suzuki,Honda all brout back the two-strokes? We all know that all of the major brands compete with their big four strokes. They compete for new designs and such like EFI,Better handling,lighter. If they brought the 2-strokes back Then they could all compete and maybe make a two-stroke EFI?? could you emagine what that would do for the sport? Soo many people would get back into it. They have EFI 2-stroke sleds so why not EFI 2-stroke dirtbikes? That way they could make them way more efficient? They're still going strong with 2-stroke sleds so why not bikes? I wouldn't doubt it that they still make the odd 250 2-stroke, and just not release it to the public. Or that they still have a few mint never before ridden 2-strokers sitting in the factory. I've heard different things that the companies want to bring back the 2-strokes and that they are thinking of a way to bring them back. But I've also heard that they are a thing of the past and 4-strokes are here for life? so I don't know.... just something to think about...

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like one of each! My 450 is awesome, a 2 smoke would be nice sometimes too, different sound & smell. Maybe ride it where mosquitoes are bad

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should bring the Banshee's and make the honda 250 R again maybe bring back the old trikes .;)

Scott6203

Reaction score
I would love to have a two stroke come back! I have had 4 strokes and 2 strokes, and I must say in the end a two strokes comes out on top for me. The reason is because of repair costs. I mainly ride off road (mountain trails, sand, and mud) rarely on track, so I like to have a bike that is reliable and cheap to maintain/repair (might also be because I am 17, and can't afford to drive, buy food, camp, and to properly maintain a 4 stroke lol). I figure you have to put at least $500-$700 yearly in maintenance/repairs for a 4 stroke. Now to my point, I recon 4 strokes are so expensive to maintain is because they run off of a more complicated system of operation (which is great if you can afford to do work on them, or if you have the know how to do it yourself). There for I would be opposed to putting a EFI system in a 2 stroke because this would add the need for computer systems, sensors, ETC... This would complicate the two stroke system. I personal am a fan of 2 strokes because they are simple, and cheap to run. I could be wrong, but that is the opinion I have developed from reading aticles on EFI systems.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to see them come out with some newer stuff too, even though I'm a four stroke guy. In particular I want to see the return of the Honda CR. Those were iconic machines that had a certain mystique about them; every young dirt biker dreamed of having a CR 125 or 250 someday, and every racer dreamed of landing the coveted Factory Honda ride one day. I was really dissapointed when I heard that Honda was discontinuing the two-stroke line and going CRF-only. There is still a place for these bikes, but don't kid yourself by comparing them to sleds. The only reason why two-stroke sleds are still in the game is because three of the four major sled manufacturers do not have the engine technology to build a reliable high performance four stroke. They would have to outsource their engines to another manufacturer (as Arctic Cat does by using low-end Suzuki engines) which would drive up the cost of their machines significantly. I give props to Bombardier for pursuing clean burning two strokes but their direct injection technology does not eliminate a two-stokes biggest weaknesses (narrow powerband, vibration, high fuel consumption, oil consumption, and drastically reduced crank and top-end life). I like two-stroke bikes, I see the need for them in our sport and I hope they stick around (if only for nostalgic purposes), but if they do I hope they don't go all high tech with EFI and such as that would only serve to negate their biggest advantage: simplicity.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will be back. 4 strokes were popular in the 60's and 70's as far as I understood, takin to guys who rode bikes then (watching videos of tracks then, makes me thankful of being born now lol). The 2-stroke started getting more attention from manufacturers, which led them to being so much more advanced from 4-strokes. 4 stokes were being modified for competition under everyone else's noses by yamaha, and no one would have ever though of them to be where they are now. I'm sure there's a guy at yamaha doing the same with 2-stokes.

Sure they 4-strokes are expensive, but they are also easier to ride, and are more reliable then a 2-stoke, unless your one of those gravel road warriors who rides their bike pinned down a road, and wonders WHY it blew up?, then you deserve to ride nothing but a streetbike.

ABOMB177

Reaction score
The original thread basically answers you guys in giving several makers that still have 2 bangers. You might just have to deviate a little from what brand you love but what matters more a two stroke or the color of plastic on it?

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to have a two stroke come back! I have had 4 strokes and 2 strokes, and I must say in the end a two strokes comes out on top for me. The reason is because of repair costs. I mainly ride off road (mountain trails, sand, and mud) rarely on track, so I like to have a bike that is reliable and cheap to maintain/repair (might also be because I am 17, and can't afford to drive, buy food, camp, and to properly maintain a 4 stroke lol). I figure you have to put at least $500-$700 yearly in maintenance/repairs for a 4 stroke. Now to my point, I recon 4 strokes are so expensive to maintain is because they run off of a more complicated system of operation (which is great if you can afford to do work on them, or if you have the know how to do it yourself). There for I would be opposed to putting a EFI system in a 2 stroke because this would add the need for computer systems, sensors, ETC... This would complicate the two stroke system. I personal am a fan of 2 strokes because they are simple, and cheap to run. I could be wrong, but that is the opinion I have developed from reading aticles on EFI systems.
EFI works fine in sleds? but ya I do agree that does take away from the "simplicity"

tompullings

Reaction score
You'll have to pry my two stroke out of my cold dead hands. It would negate the pros of two stroke bikes to start dumping tons of r&d into improving them but I wonder how good they could be these days if the factories had kept improving them into recent years. 4 strokes are what drove a ton of people away from the sport IMO. It's no longer affordable for the average joe to buy a bike and ride.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i grew up ridin bikes, 2 strokes street kawasaki's 500's and 750's, and various dirt bikes. i wouldn't say that 2strokes are any cheaper than 4strokes. they use more gas, use expensive 2 stoke oils, motor repairs and maintenance is way more $$$$. as long as you use good oil and change it often a 4stroke will run a long time. may be a little heavier, but seem to be putting out good power.

don't get me wrong, i still like the 2stroke instant power.

you guys lookin for a 2 stroke ride, give goodngrubby a shout, he has one that will roll yer eylids back and make ya cry for yer momma.

Last edited:

TRAV

Reaction score
If you rebuild a couple 4 strokes you will realize that they cost way more than rebuilding a 2 stroke. I put a piston and head on my 06 CRF450 and was into it for about a grand. Put a new cylinder, head and piston in my 08 Service Honda CR500AF and was into it for about $700. Also did a motor on my 08 KTM450XC-F and was into it for around 2 grand with a new head and piston. Just My Opinion

i grew up ridin bikes, 2 strokes street kawasaki's 500's and 750's, and various dirt bikes. i wouldn't say that 2strokes are any cheaper than 4strokes. they use more gas, use expensive 2 stoke oils, motor repairs and maintenance is way more $$$$. as long as you use good oil and change it often a 4stroke will run a long time. may be a little heavier, but seem to be putting out good power.

don't get me wrong, i still like the 2stroke instant power.

you guys lookin for a 2 stroke ride, give goodngrubby a shout, he has one that will roll yer eylids back and make ya cry for yer momma.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOVE me a two stroke. Just waiting for KTM, GasGas, or Husqvarna to release a fuel injected 300. There is a company with one coming out but it is about 13grand.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you rebuild a couple 4 strokes you will realize that they cost way more than rebuilding a 2 stroke. I put a piston and head on my 06 CRF450 and was into it for about a grand. Put a new cylinder, head and piston in my 08 Service Honda CR500AF and was into it for about $700. Also did a motor on my 08 KTM450XC-F and was into it for around 2 grand with a new head and piston. Just My Opinion[/QUOTE

all thinks being equal, you will have to rebuild your 2 stroke 3-4 times more than your 4 stroke. maybe even more. have you priced pistons and cylinders, rod bearings, etc.

the only way they could get 2 strokes to live in the old days was by pumping lots of oil through the system thus they were called oil burners. every motor out there loves maintenance and will cost ya when it is lacking.

Last edited:

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ossa has a FI 300 2 stroke. Husky is sapposed to have a direct injection 300 for 2013 so there coming. Yes its all possable but it takes time to develop

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there's money in it they will make it happen. I blame California for the collapse of 2 strokes.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have owned my Banshee since 95, I'm on my 3rd top end and she has been all over the States sand duning numerous time's. Preventitive maintence is the biggest key with any toy. Sorry imdoo'n, but 2 strokes are way cheaper to rebuild then 4 strokes, even if you just run a fresh hone and some rings in it every 3 years or so. I also had a 93 WR250, that I bought new in 92. That was a great bike, haven't own a bike since and I would consider going to KTM if I was to get another one. Both 2 and for strokes have their place, I would like another smoker again sometime.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
took me a long azz time to finally purchase a thumper, BUT I still and always will LOVE my screamers best

2 strokes = Kick and go, rebuild in 20min when needed
4 strokes = MEH

Top Bottom