Breaking in the 800 CFI?

Reaction score
Hey all, Just bought the 2012 assault. After all the engine problems with my 09 I want to make sure I am doing everything possible to make this one last! The owners manual says to run the first tank of gas pre mixed with Semi synthetic oil for faster break in, how about the oil resivoir? would you put semi syn in there too or the regular VES gold. The dealer told me not to even put semi syn in it because it was gumming up the valves. What have you done to break er in?

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put Blue Marble in the oil tank and some in the fuel tank, then rode it like I would on any other day only avoiding prolonged WOT runs for the first couple of days. My WOT would be 3 or 4 seconds then back off a little then back on it but never thinking about it, and if I needed it longer I would not back off. Just make sure you warm that engine up before you ride every morning. Mine idles while I get my gear on and I let it get to 120 before I move it.

bren3flames

Reaction score
When I got my 2011 I was told to mix the first tank of fuel and for oil I bought some of the Polaris Gold for the tank and have been running that in it.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put 1 litre of the blue semi synthetic in the first tank of gas. And in the oil tank run the semi synthetic blue. Supposed to help the rings seat better. The sled is actually shipped from polaris the the semi synthetic put in it. Most of the time when we clean power valves the ones running semi synthetic are just as clean if not cleaner then the ones running ves gold.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled is actually shipped from polaris the the semi synthetic put in it.

My '12 Pro did not have the semi-syn blue in the tank. I believe it's VES Gold. I premixed 1 liter of Gold in the first tank and filled the oil reservoir with Shell Advance Syn., just like I did with my last two Poo's and they ran flawless for a combined 8000 km.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My '12 Pro did not have the semi-syn blue in the tank. I believe it's VES Gold. I premixed 1 liter of Gold in the first tank and filled the oil reservoir with Shell Advance Syn., just like I did with my last two Poo's and they ran flawless for a combined 8000 km.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

The oil in the tank is semi synthetic blue without the die in it. If you smell it, it doesn't smell like VES.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems people have all sorts of ideas of how to break in an engine. I would venture to guess that there is no science behind most and likely would not have made an ounce of difference. Follow manufacturers recommendations in the manual, vary the throttle and don't hold er wide open for long and forget the rest. My opinion.

Top Bottom