Brakes

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you leave the parking brake locked on while trailering??? Is this a good practice or is it hard on the brakes?? I have a 2 place tilt and tend to leave the brake on all the time it is on the trailer. Is this hard on the brakes or the machine??? TIA.

M7ZR6

Reaction score
We always lock ours when on the trailer. We figure that it can't hurt and it will maybe keep the machines from moving forward or back as easily. It hasn't hurt anything on ours unless you forget to realese the brake, then it tends to be a little hard on belts.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope I leave the sled or quad brakes on while they are on the trailer also, just remember to release them before you unload is all, should turn your fuel valve cock to the off position though.

m8cat

Reaction score
Most owner manuals state that the parking brake should not be used in this manner. Not sure why but thats what they say...?

cobbycat

Reaction score
my manual for my m1000 says not to do this also. I don't ever use do this as I believe that if you are tied down adequately the brake shouldn't need to be on anyway. when you apply the parking brake and then tie your sled down you don't know if your brakes are stopping it from moving or the tie straps. when I tie my sled down, I know it doesn't move because the straps are tight. can give you a false sense of security. I think it is hard on the seals in your brake system and that is another reason we shouldn't practice this method. just my 2 cents.:beer:

cheers.

cobbycat

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above,,, the brake may help the sled from moving a bit but once its sliding the brake wont help at all,,, its a lot of pressure when locked,,, its like when peeps ratchet the rear of the sled down,,, hard on the seals and not necasary,,

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed. i try to never leave my brake on. one night i did leave it on while it was on my deck and with snow, damp air and the cold temps overnight, when i went to release it, it was froze. it released pretty soon after, but since then i don't ever leave it on.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another good point is that if your straps failed good chance sled is in the air anyway so the brake is useless imo.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed. i try to never leave my brake on. one night i did leave it on while it was on my deck and with snow, damp air and the cold temps overnight, when i went to release it, it was froze. it released pretty soon after, but since then i don't ever leave it on.

I agree with you, I have had mine freese on, or you can run the chance of having yourself or whomever unloads your sled(buddie helping unload) forget to take it off and kill your belt or even worse... burn your sled to the ground,...
as a person who works at a dealership, I have seen things go very bad and turn out very ugly from leaving the parking brake on, use it only when nessicary, if you have your sled tied down properly(get some superclamps), the brake does Sweet F all anyhow.
Ski doo moved the brake from under the oil tank for a reason....:eek::eek: as I have seen many rev chassy sleds burnt to the ground from leaving the brake on.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the problem with leaving your brake on is the extreme pressure that is put on the cylinder and seals for a long duration of time. this is the theory that it could develop a leak.

i have never had one leak and leave it on while trailering and take of off when not in motion.

having the brake on is a good failsafe regardless if it is tied down properly or not. it just makes sence. securing devices do fail and its alot harder to move a machine with the brake on.

superclamps fail.

tie straps fail.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the parking brake as little as possible as I have left it on in the past and boiled the brake fluid. It's never on while it's on my deck.

94fordguy

I always put it on when on the trailer. As mentioned, sometimes things can fail and thats just one more thing that the sled would have to overcome before it begins to move or slide.

Kinda hard to forget that its on with the big red handle sticking out.

Top Bottom