Brake Clean

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes this is common knowledge, but if you think about it the aluminum wold have to be hot and expanded in order to "absorb" anything. Also you are cleaning a machined surface that has only microscopic pores that are filled with rubber. which is worse the rubber or the solvent to your next belt?

Good points!:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can use anything that does not leave a residue. Unless you are cleaning your clutches when they are over 300 celcius (at which temperature they would be untouchable), the metal pores are not going to "soak" up any cleaners.

Don't forget to clean the belt, this is often overlooked and often where the contaminants actually come from, not from the cleaner residue left in the pores of the metal.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Modman but never heard of that before. Wife won't let me put it in the tub with her. So how else should I clean the belt?

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put it the dish sink with hot water and a touch of soap and scrub it with a brush:d rinse it off and giver' :)

Every belt should be done like this, especially brand new ones! They are still covered with a greasy mold release compound from the factory.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at Canadian Tire and could not find the scotch brite pads in the sandpaper isle or the autobody. Is it a special pad only found in automotive stores like NAPA?

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will more than likely find them in with the household cleaning supplies and they look like this:

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at Canadian Tire and could not find the scotch brite pads in the sandpaper isle or the autobody. Is it a special pad only found in automotive stores like NAPA?
Industrial stores that sell bolts and welding supplies. Greggs Distributors is the easiest.

ChillySeven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are reading into this issue too much. Brake clean and a red scotch brite pad afterwards is all I would do.

In 05 I was told to do this exact same thing by a dealer and I have never had a problem.

Top Bottom