BOV On Nytro

nytro mtx

Reaction score
Can anyone help me on BOV's?
Was ridin my T nytro this weekend with a friend who also has a T nytro, Im runnung a 270 pl kit, my friend has the 180mcx.
My bov is real quiet where the 180 is loud. Is this normal on the 270 kits?

Also any one know where to get the 90 degree 3" rad hose for the intake in Edmonton?
Tried greenline and a few other hose places but no one had 3"

Thanx for any help

Dwayne

JDen

Reaction score
2.5" one is Dayco part # 70921 for the intake 90, thats what fits my mcx anyway, pretty sure the pl is the same size. Napa or Acklands or somewhere like that should have it.

nytro mtx

Reaction score
Pl is the 3" but ya i found one at Dash auto. almost $60.00 though.
Thanks for the reply though.

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PL = 3" - Got one from Lordco
Change your BOV spring to the Thistledoo spring - its a lighter spring, works way better in my PL

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By the sounds of it he does have the softer spring already. It is his buddy that would need ThistleDoo's spring

nytro mtx

Reaction score
Mine the 270 is the quiet one, gussing id need the softer spring.
I pm'd thistledoo, anyone know where to get one in edmonton? Im leaving for mcbride in the am.

Thanx
Dwayne

topsecret

Reaction score
Why would you want a softer spring? You guys sound like the equivalent of a ricer in the snow, the purpose of the bov is to release boost pressure to prevent compressor surge, prolonging the life of the turbo, on your 270 hp kit im guessing you are running 16-20 lbs of boost, putting a lighter spring in can cause it to leak, or go off to much creating lag on your turbo because its constantly trying to re pressurize the charge pipe.

Chunk

Reaction score
Softer spring increases throttle response and gets rid of the turbo squak, which is hard on seals.

Chunk

Reaction score
Mine the 270 is the quiet one, gussing id need the softer spring.I pm'd thistledoo, anyone know where to get one in edmonton? Im leaving for mcbride in the am.ThanxDwayne
Only place that might have one is Darren at E&S in ft sask

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Thanks Chunk ! I do have lots in stk and they work, we install them in every kit that uses that Mitz blow off valve-Darren

E&S

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Thanks Chunk ! Yes we stk the springs And Copper donuts, We use this stuff on every kit that uses the Mitz blow off valve-Darren

nytro mtx

Reaction score
Thanks Guys
Think im gona go see ya Darren in the next week or so.
Got a few other issues i need resolved.

Dwayne

nytro mtx

Reaction score
Hey Ron

Ya I heard u had almost every problem a guy could have on a sled. LOL good to hear its working good for ya now.
Well I had problems with the sled boging alot, a/f and boost would be all over the place, thought it might be the fuel settings so played with them but still not working as it should,
Found 2 fuel leaks fixed them, now the sled climbs like crazy if i do climb after climb but in the trees the thing still bogs in early to mid throttle. Think ive got the settings on the controller all screwed up due to trying to tune it with 2 fuel leaks, lol.

I had the controler starting to add fuel a 3000 rpm +1 then every 1500 rpm, give or take, i bumped it up 1 more till i was at 9250 + 5. With the leaks that was the only way to get it to run well enough to ride.

Spoke to Neil last night and he said it should stay at +0 from 3000 rpm till 7250 then start adding. So i think i was just running it rich. Hes also mentioned to look over the exaust and boost lines for cracks.

Neil and the Boost it guys are awesome, Think ive got Neil drove crazy tho. LOL
May need to bring him another bottle of crown.

Dwayne

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Why would you want a softer spring? You guys sound like the equivalent of a ricer in the snow, the purpose of the bov is to release boost pressure to prevent compressor surge, prolonging the life of the turbo, on your 270 hp kit im guessing you are running 16-20 lbs of boost, putting a lighter spring in can cause it to leak, or go off to much creating lag on your turbo because its constantly trying to re pressurize the charge pipe.

Actually the opposite is true. With a lighter bov spring you get a lot less lag. Just proved this on my impulse nytro. I just switched from the garrett 2860 to a 2871 and installed a lighter bov from boost-it. Response is way better now even with the bigger turbo. Under vacumn my bov will actually open up which lets the turbo freespool so its spinning as fast as it can at the low load situation. As soon as you add load, the line on the back of the bov diaphram now sees positive pressure instead of vac. this pressure then closes the bov and lets boost build. Most of the bov's on these sleds were made for automotive use. A civic motor makes way more vac at idle then a sled so cars work fine with the manufactures spring. Your lag is more from having to respin the turbo not so much build pressure. The turbo is always spinning fast, as soon as the bov closes under load you have instant boost. Since you have equal pressure on either side of the bov under load all it takes is a little spring pressure to keep it sealed. I have no problems with my bov leaking or with building boost, and my bov opens right up while cruizing in light load and opens even a little at idle. This lets the turbo spin as freely as it can all the time. I had no idea about this till neil explained it to me.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I just changed my spring to the lighter one as well. I purchased it from Thistledoo. Its alot lighter and shorter then the one that was with my PL turbo. Anxious to see what the difference is. I'll post it once I try this weekend.

nytro mtx

Reaction score
I just changed my spring to the lighter one as well. I purchased it from Thistledoo. Its alot lighter and shorter then the one that was with my PL turbo. Anxious to see what the difference is. I'll post it once I try this weekend.

Hey Ron

Looking forward to hearing how it worked, just switched out mine today but wont be able to test it till next weekend.
Bit of a pain in the arse to get at the bolts though.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Changing the spring in the blow off valve has solved several issues.
- No more oil in the front nose of the sled from the blow off valve. I think with the lighter spring it is not sucking oil through the turbo bearings and filling up the charge tube, then spraying all over once the valve is opened.
- Noticeable difference in throttle response.
- Nice clean crisp release of the pressure in the system

I would highly recommend this upgrade to anyone that has a Powderlites Turbo. Its not that difficult of a job either, take the clutch side lower panel off and with a 1/4" socket and a u-joint I was able to get the back bolt out, the other two are easy.

Top Bottom