Bought an RV with hidden water damage, need advice on drying it & fixing it!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Bleach is the best mold killer. 1 ounce to 10 ounces of water in a spray jug.

Bleach is no longer recommended to clean or control microbial growth

The best way is removal or aggressively clean the surfaces until no visual mould is apparent

once this has been achieved A product called called concorbim can be applied.
I am at indoor environmental consultant which specializes in mould, asbestos and industrial hygiene

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New twist. I approached the seller by text message, looking for some sort of remuneration, and got told to **** off (As expected).

So now I'm looking at small claims court. I believe this guy knew about the leak, and intentionally cleaned it up so it wasn't visible. In my mind that constitutes 'misrepresentation by the salesperson' which is against some law according to this website. https://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2818.htm I just can't tell if it applies to private transactions (non-business).

He also lied about having it winterized by an RV dealership, I confirmed this morning with the dealerships manager that the RV was not serviced at the dealership as he claimed it was before the transaction.

Anyways, I don't know enough about civil law to know if I've got claim that will be successful. The fee to file my claim is $100. Anyone else got some experience in this?

You better have these things in writing from the guy when you bought it, or you will be wasting time and money. Know doubt he new about the leak but to try and take him to small claims on it and try and prove he new about it will be damn near impossible. Unless you have something written that everything functions properly and no issues with the trailer. Just my thought tho, sh*tty thing with buying used, win some and lose some.
Last thing to consider is how much is it worth to fix and what is your time and stress worth F*cking around in court with the guy??

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
The proof is in the fact that a leak that big would have been visible if it hadn't been cleaned up. And the area I could see was cleaner than it should have been (no dust).

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buyer beware unfortunately unless your bill of sale has something written in it, but it probably says sold as is.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New twist. I approached the seller by text message, looking for some sort of remuneration, and got told to **** off (As expected).

So now I'm looking at small claims court. I believe this guy knew about the leak, and intentionally cleaned it up so it wasn't visible. In my mind that constitutes 'misrepresentation by the salesperson' which is against some law according to this website. https://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2818.htm I just can't tell if it applies to private transactions (non-business).

He also lied about having it winterized by an RV dealership, I confirmed this morning with the dealerships manager that the RV was not serviced at the dealership as he claimed it was before the transaction.

Anyways, I don't know enough about civil law to know if I've got claim that will be successful. The fee to file my claim is $100. Anyone else got some experience in this?

Here is a quote from the link you supplied above.

Be a Wise Consumer
Unless otherwise stated, used vehicles are sold "as is". This means any flaws or defects with the vehicle after the sale are the responsibility of the buyer. Do not let yourself be blinded by the reputation of a particular make or model. Even a well-made vehicle can deteriorate if it is not maintained properly.

AMVIC will only investigate if the company that sold it to you is AMVIC licensed, they have nothing to do with private sales. Sorry for your luck.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"As is" is not written on the bill of sale. I don't know why he didn't put that on there, but he didn't.

Is anything written on? Such as seleer warrnts the unit has no water damage? If not, you are more than likely screwed. As others have said, best to cut your losses, repair it and move on. You probably got it for a good price for a reason, good deals arent always what they seem.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Is it really worth the $100 and whatever your time worth to worry about all this and gather everything you need for small claims court? I suggest get over it and move on and repair as required and enjoy the trailer...... It wouldn't be worth my time, if it was me, jus' sayin'

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
If I do go forward I'll be asking for the full dealership fix amount. Which would be North of $3000 I'd expect. So yeah, not having to deal with the full fix and getting it restored to factory seems worth it at the moment. Probably looking at 40 hours of work for me otherwise

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you pulled anything back to access the damage in total? Might not be horrible and just need to dry out thoroughly and toss the HW tank back in. Just make sure its dry and get some anti mold stuff on there.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it really worth the $100 and whatever your time worth to worry about all this and gather everything you need for small claims court? I suggest get over it and move on and repair as required and enjoy the trailer...... It wouldn't be worth my time, if it was me, jus' sayin'

Have to agree. Fix it yourself, make it a lesson learned and don't go all 'American' and sue-happy.

I bought a slightly used 32' trailer to stay in when I built our place in BC. Bought and paid for it in the fall and didn't find out until spring that the tank was split. Apparently you are not supposed to leave anti-freeze in the aluminium tanks - just drain them - there is a bypass valve so you can get the RV antifreeze to all the other parts of the system. Whatever happened it was not done right in the fall and I fixed it in the spring myself. Kind of a piss off but there wasn't extensive damage to the structure.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother taking him to court you'll just be wasting more time and money

Sent from my S4

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Yeah, if I release his name on S&M or Facebook, that opens me up to Liable charges as none of this has been proven in court.

All I think I will say is that he has a Blue Polaris Scrambler that runs on race gas. Good chance he's on Snow and Mud actually and some of you by SE Edmonton know him.

On a side note, I discovered that the 'burnt out light that never works' he told me about, isn't burnt out and works fine, its double switched so you can turn it on/off by the door.... It's entirely possible he's just an IDIOT and by some miracle the ice/evidence of water damage hid itself.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Patch it and flip it in the spring, might even make money on it... just make sure those 4 beautiful words are on the bill of sale.... "As is, Where is"

Top Bottom