Bombardier Outlander 800

littleark

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i am somewhat new here, and i am interested in purchasing my first ATV. I live on a farm, but don't do any farming. We got close to 100acres of land, and have tons of areas around me, like swamps etc.

My neighbour has about 5 Bombardier Outlander 800's, and he is planning on selling his green one.

He claims there is around 200km on it, however they are ALL hard km's. Also he flipped it over last week, and said that the bumper or w/e it is on the front has popped out, so you have to put it back in. Also he said when he flipped it over, there was oil that spilled all over the engine area, so when it runs it smells like oil.

Last thing, the computer start up system is a bit messed upHe had it checked and they said it was the computer. When it starts, you have to start it a certain way, holding the front brake, or whatnot and do something special. Sometimes it starts normally, not all the time. He said if it doesn't work, you have to wait a minute before you attempt to start it again.

Now i have road the Bombardier Outlander 800 before, he lended us his yellow one last year for 2-3weeks, was best thing ever. Great power, great handling, loved it.

So he told us the price of the blackbook from the dealer, which is around $7200-8200 CAN. With all the things wrong with it, think there is a way he would sell it for under 5? Any ideas on how to get it lowered, i mean the computer system if something goes wrong down the road, its going to cost over $1000 bucks to fix it. And 200 (not sure the exact km) on it, all being very hard kilometres put that in somewhat bad shape? Does it not?

Would under 5 be good? Any ideas on if its worth it? The guy is loaded, but he is no fool with money, and that is just a blackbook price....

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it looks as great as it sounds I wouldn't touch it with an 11ft pole,..

Also best to edit your post,.. this is a family orientated forum

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Computer problems, rolled,.. possible hydro lock bent rod? Smokes,.. What about possible bent frame?

Just sounds like a lot of work for a quad,.. I wouldn't offer more than $3000, tell him you checked with a wreckers and that's the advice they gave you.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice job on the editing..LOL! I wouldnt touch it either,oil on the engine can be washed off or burnt off fairly quickly,could be a major repair bill and the computer is not going to be much cheaper.Tell him 5000 if it checks out at a dealership ,that may cover some of the issues.
If he rides it like Rknight........its junk LMAO!
catmando/1

littleark

Reaction score
Nice job on the editing..LOL! I wouldnt touch it either,oil on the engine can be washed off or burnt off fairly quickly,could be a major repair bill and the computer is not going to be much cheaper.Tell him 5000 if it checks out at a dealership ,that may cover some of the issues.
If he rides it like Rknight........its junk LMAO!
catmando/1

Hahaha well im going to have to check out the bottom. If there is no skid, and its bent up i am not sure what to do then. I will try and offer 4000 or so, tell him thats the price for it cause its all beat up with hard miles, this is not blackbook atv.

I mean I am not expert with atvs.... but i know he rides it hard. He is loaded with money, and he rides these things hard. I road his yellow one, and it was very well, but even i put a little dent in the frame in the 2 weeks i had it (he didn't notice) . So i am going to definitely have to check out the bottom.

I am just curious though, if the bottom is bent up, i know it doesn't ride as good, but for someone who just wants it for fun, for people to ride around, and just to ride casually say if we do any work in the forest, would it matter much?

And would you say offering around 4000 or so is reasonable? Anything that could back me up on it? I have some ideas already, and am interested in what else there is.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha well im going to have to check out the bottom. If there is no skid, and its bent up i am not sure what to do then. I will try and offer 4000 or so, tell him thats the price for it cause its all beat up with hard miles, this is not blackbook atv.

I mean I am not expert with atvs.... but i know he rides it hard. He is loaded with money, and he rides these things hard. I road his yellow one, and it was very well, but even i put a little dent in the frame in the 2 weeks i had it (he didn't notice) . So i am going to definitely have to check out the bottom.

I am just curious though, if the bottom is bent up, i know it doesn't ride as good, but for someone who just wants it for fun, for people to ride around, and just to ride casually say if we do any work in the forest, would it matter much?

And would you say offering around 4000 or so is reasonable? Anything that could back me up on it? I have some ideas already, and am interested in what else there is.

Would you rather ride home or walk and push?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is a risk but if you got it for four thousand and it was ok you would have landed a heck of a deal,Not sure what you mean by the bottom being bent up but if it rides alright its probably ok for what you want!
good luck!
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just some pics for ya!
catmando!
We like the mud!

Attachments

• P5170029.jpg
    P5170029.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P5090005.jpg
    P5090005.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 50
  • P5240037.jpg
    P5240037.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 49
  • P7120029.jpg
    P7120029.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 46

littleark

Reaction score
Wow those are some nice pics, and you took apart that whole atv haha nice.

So i am going to see it tonight. Definitely going to do some inspection and just let him know some stuff and honestly if he will lower it, i am def. going to buy it. Its a great atv, i loved the other one when i had it and would love to have this one as my first.

Anything else i should be looking for when i go to inspect it? While it runs?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check where the oil came from. When a CanAm goes upsidedown, the crankcase breather dumps oil in the airbox. Not a big deal. Clean it out, make sure the air filter is clean, top up the oil and carry on. Holding the brake to start is normal if it's in gear. If it's in N or P it should start without the brake being held. If it DOESN'T start in gear with the brake held, it could be a burned out brake light, or the pressure switch...both cheap, easy fixes. Check for bent frame. If it's bent....don't buy it. Look at the frame where the lower A-arms pivot....it likes to bend there.

littleark

Reaction score
Well, i went to look at it. Quite a few things wrong with it, he expects 7000, and it has over 3000 HARD km on it.. with what i saw, he is never going to get close to 7 for that guy. Just a piece of junk now, another mans headache if i were to buy it.

So, i am back to looking again. I live in Guelph, ON. I am looking to travel up to an hour to look for an atv, at max.
My price range: under $5000. Preferably under $4500.

Now here is a big question, everyone has different preferences. However, Bombardier, in my experience are top of the line, with a big base beating all other atv's. And they are very powerful.

However, i would like an atv, if i could i would definitely get a bombardier outlander, but i want something like it, if there is anything you can suggest that is better. I want a machine that is raw power, and great to ride and fun to ride, can go take on a lot.

I have been looking into Kawasaki Brute Force 750.. any suggestions?

Also, i would like above 700cc unless the 650's are comparable to an 800cc.

littleark

Reaction score
Okay, so i am still looking for an atv. Basically, i won't be doing any serious mudding. I will wait till im in my 20's to get into that, and buy a really good atv. So i guess right now, its just for fun, for me and my parents and my bro to ride around on. Also for going through our forest, through swamp, and through our fields.

Now, i know we all want a 750, or 800 brute. However, they cost quite a bit. Like atleast over 5, and the Brute i am interested in it may have been sold, out of my luck because i guess i received an email, and my internet was down Friday and Saturday all day. The guy had someone come and see it, i emailed him so i am waiting to find out.

800's have a lot of power, and i rode an 800 no problem. I am 16, people think i shouldn't even be on one.

Anyways, 400's go for somewhat considerably lower. In my price range, and i would like to know, for my uses right now is a 400 good? Will it provide enough power? I am not going to be traveling with my atv to any special trails of somesort, just around where i live. So nothing deep at all.

Any suggestion on if i look into Outlander 400's, or anything else you may suggest?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kawasaki Brute Force is a good machine,just make sure you keep the Rad clean after every ride,Lots of guys have overheating issues,I find its mostly because the rads are not cleaned properly.I have an 05 Brute 650 and love it,I chipped and piped it and it moives along pretty good.If you were closer I might even sell it too you,would like to upgrade to a 750.
catmando!

Attachments

• P7190005.jpg
    P7190005.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 47

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another very good reliable machine is the Grizzly,this is Bruces and he will never have overheating problems!
catmando!

Attachments

• P9060001.jpg
    P9060001.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom