• No - But plan to get this year

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • No - Don't see the value in getting it

Votes: 7 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tredeb

Reaction score
You missed one option Yes, I have one and Yes I believe it is a total waste of time and money grab.

I know several people who have passed it and they have never even driven a boat.

As for requiring it, you don't need it if you rent a boat as long as you go through a rental checklist.

You don't need it if you come up from the U.S. unless you are staying for more than 45 days.

You don't need it to operate a boat as part of your job.

And finally, you don't need it if you have any other sort of competency training in watercraft.

So essentially, you don't need it if you are going to lose money because of not having it. You don't need it if someone else is going to lose money because of it. But if you can afford to buy your own boat to enjoy, give us $50, because you must be able to afford it.

What an absolute joke!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I got my card today along with 3 $10 off cupons

I'll use one for the wifes but if anyone else plans on doing the exam online shoot me a PM and I can give you a cupon discount code.... might as well save yourself $10

Ian

rob350

Reaction score
I got my card today along with 3 $10 off cupons

I'll use one for the wifes but if anyone else plans on doing the exam online shoot me a PM and I can give you a cupon discount code.... might as well save yourself $10

Ian

I grabbed a handful of them the other day at wholesale sports, realized after they are all the same promo code!

btw, i took a look on the boaterexam webpage, and registered as a supervisor. 5 minutes later i got a email saying I was accepted.
So it looks like you can get a buddy to sign up as the supervisor, and just have him watch you as you write your test online.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a total waste of time and money as any kind of effective licensing tool, all it does is prove that you have some kind of awareness of marine rules which most people promptly forget. I think it should be much tougher and stringent, I've seen way to much stupidity on the water which this program won't effect at all. One other side effect is that with a card you now have a government endorsement that "proves" you have regulatory awareness, should something happen on the water the insurance companies will use this to deny claims based on ignorance. The old "I didn't know" excuse will not work in a court of law with this card and nor should it. It was mentioned that a launching/loading course be mandatory and I can't agree more, 90% of the problems I have seen occured near the launch and the docks. One thing that I don't understand is why it isn't an endorsement on your drivers license like a motorcycle endorsement.

rob350

Reaction score
Just thought I would update y'all.

I just finished writing my test, and passed. It was hard (im not a boater), but skimming through the info on Boater Exam.com | Pleasure Craft Operator Card online safe boating exam. helped allot.

Im also accepted as a supervisor, just applied and got it.

I have a promo code for boaterexam to get 15$ off.
Being that the exam is normally $50, PM me for the code and you can take the test for $35 (+tax)

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
how old do you need to be to get it? my dad wants me to get it! should i get get it here or in bc next year?

Age Craft Deadline For Obtaining PCO Card
-Born after April 1, 1983 - Now
-Any Any powered boat less than 4m in length- Sept 15, 2002
-Any Any powered boat- Sept 15, 2009

(in otherwords....as of 2009 if your driving a boat you have to have it)

Age & Horsepower Restrictions:

Age Horsepower Restrictions
Under 12 years of age, and not directly supervised Can operate a vessel with no more than 10 hp (7.5 KW)
Between 12 and 16 years of age, and not directly supervised Can operate a vessel with no more than 40 hp (30 kW)
Under 16 years of age Not allowed to operate a PWC (i.e. seadoos, jetskis)
16 years of age and older No power restrictions

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
and on a side note....the main problem with the test is that you can take it over and over for free......trust me i'm not a fan, and yes i know it is a cash grab, but if you had to pay that $50 and only got one try, you might take it a little more seriously and actually read the 50+ page print out/booklet.....but you can get a 30%, try again get 40% try again ect ect......you dont have to know a damn thing, just get lucky.....

and the biggest problem is you cant teach common sence/ courtesy over the internet.....just sayin

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would update y'all.

I just finished writing my test, and passed. It was hard (im not a boater), but skimming through the info on Boater Exam.com | Pleasure Craft Operator Card online safe boating exam. helped allot.

Im also accepted as a supervisor, just applied and got it.

I have a promo code for boaterexam to get 15$ off.
Being that the exam is normally $50, PM me for the code and you can take the test for $35 (+tax)
thanks for refreshing my memory, I too have 4 coupons that came with my license in the mail from boaterexam.com but they are for $10 each. same deal....shoot me a pm for the code if anyone needs one.

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Age Craft Deadline For Obtaining PCO Card
-Born after April 1, 1983 - Now
-Any Any powered boat less than 4m in length- Sept 15, 2002
-Any Any powered boat- Sept 15, 2009

(in otherwords....as of 2009 if your driving a boat you have to have it)

Age & Horsepower Restrictions:

Age Horsepower Restrictions
Under 12 years of age, and not directly supervised Can operate a vessel with no more than 10 hp (7.5 KW)
Between 12 and 16 years of age, and not directly supervised Can operate a vessel with no more than 40 hp (30 kW)
Under 16 years of age Not allowed to operate a PWC (i.e. seadoos, jetskis)
16 years of age and older No power restrictions

thanks for clear'n that up for me!

Top Bottom