Votes: 27 26.2%
  • No - Don't see the value in getting it

Votes: 7 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
we were approached by F&W this weekend while out on Wabamun... 3 boats one licenced operator and 3 six packs....... we were actually gonna do the test before we left my house but didn't bother.... Officer was really cool and we chatted about azzholes rippin around the bay and some of the jetboat guys who insist on doing the ...full throttle...stop...full throttle...stop in the no wake zones (BTW, you know who you are...grow the fugg up there is a whole fuggin lake out there) he chatted with us for about 20-25 mins...never asked for operators licence or questioned if we had beer....hell-of-a nice guy. but we got lucky...I will have mine before I launch the new unit....

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was ice fishing late in the year, guys were saying allot of IP`s for booze on the lake ice fishing, so these dudes will be out on their boats they said checking..

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
was ice fishing late in the year, guys were saying allot of IP`s for booze on the lake ice fishing, so these dudes will be out on their boats they said checking..

I'm legal on the new boat................ hey ocifer, wanna brew?????:d:d:d

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That test is easy to pass. No studing needed just walk in and it's yours. Common sence goes a long way. Did mine at one of the shows, guy acually said I wouldn't Fail if I challenge it and if you do you don't pay. Wait two hours and try again.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not really bitching about the fact that it costs money.....My complaint is that for years it was unrequired, now they make this exam manditory and I just question the effectiveness. Glad to hear you got something out of it but many have not. If a person is navigating busy shipping lanes in the St Lawrence or offshore then it should be a requirement. However to putt a boat out to the sandbar on Wabamun lake it seems like nothing more than another Government money grab.

The boating license is a Federal law. The reason for it, started many years ago in the east, about the time that PWC's became popular. There were too many kids riding these Powerful and fast PWC's in busy waterways. They had to put some control on it. If you look back it started out with just requiring a license for craft under 12 feet. Like some else said else where on this thread. we had plenty of time to get it. Just saying

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
next will be a snowmobile operaters card .... a atv operaters card... and then a backcountry operaters card .... and on and on .... what a joke... i guess it is good for kids but if the parrents are smart enough they will teach them the proper way anyway.... i know myself i have been taught how to operate atv, snowmobiles, boats etc.. scince i was 10 all thanks to my parrents and family not some course .... imo it is a money grabber....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
next will be a snowmobile operaters card .... a atv operaters card... and then a backcountry operaters card .... and on and on .... what a joke... i guess it is good for kids but if the parrents are smart enough they will teach them the proper way anyway.... i know myself i have been taught how to operate atv, snowmobiles, boats etc.. scince i was 10 all thanks to my parrents and family not some course .... imo it is a money grabber....
you are fortunate to have had parents that taught you these things, as was I. think of the hundreds of others whose parents never had the opportunity, or money to afford such amenities as a dirt bike, atv, snowmobile, or boat. where do they learn, and how does the government decide who had sufficient training from their parents or guardians? there is no such thing as "common sense" any more....our society reflects this. If all these "cards" become mandatory, I will get them. not having one may open a person up to certain liabilities in the case of an unfortunate incident where someone is seriously hurt or killed.

roll with it, or get rolled over by it I say....

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
we were approached by F&W this weekend while out on Wabamun... 3 boats one licenced operator and 3 six packs....... we were actually gonna do the test before we left my house but didn't bother.... Officer was really cool and we chatted about azzholes rippin around the bay and some of the jetboat guys who insist on doing the ...full throttle...stop...full throttle...stop in the no wake zones (BTW, you know who you are...grow the fugg up there is a whole fuggin lake out there) he chatted with us for about 20-25 mins...never asked for operators licence or questioned if we had beer....hell-of-a nice guy. but we got lucky...I will have mine before I launch the new unit....

I'll supervise you if you want. Chris can't do it because he's related. I got my supervisor ID and crap a couple of weeks ago. Can do everything online. :beer::d:beer:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'll supervise you if you want. Chris can't do it because he's related. I got my supervisor ID and crap a couple of weeks ago. Can do everything online. :beer::d:beer:

gives me an excuse to come over for a beer........

Kaz has her supervisors ID set up so I was gonna get her to do it...

I'll pop over after work for beer/exam later this week....:d:d

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did mine last year off a kijiji link was easy best part wuz you could fug up as much as you wanted to and just keep retrying without repaying.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did mine a couple of years ago just challenged the test but I used to run a 46 ton vessel on the coast so had a bit of an idea of what to do

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be honest...does anyone on here who got their certification really feel they are a more capable vessel operator now that they've completed the requirements? Was it worth the money and will it make any difference in how people operate their boats ? I find the whole thing to be such a joke.:rant:

LOL very true . Me and my dad went to get ours this year at the boat show in edmonton both passed, My little sister who is 11 who has no clue how to drive or how do drive a boat decided to try it while we were doing it turns out she some how managed to pass. The test was so easy i got 94% or something without opening a book on how to operate a boat.

Just a huge money grab.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Passes it today with an 88%...... buoys are the only questions which might require studying...everything else is common sense...

One Shot Willie

Reaction score
sois the card thing nationwide or provincial??? an do i need a card when i bring my boat up there??or to oerate a rental boat there? what about jet ski's? thanx:cool:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
sois the card thing nationwide or provincial??? an do i need a card when i bring my boat up there??or to oerate a rental boat there? what about jet ski's? thanx:cool:

anything over a 10hp anywhere in canada.....................

(PS: thats one of the test questions...)

tbosch

Reaction score
I got mine the first year they offered it. I'm glad I did now that they are actually enforcing it.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....word has it they will be checking and handing out fines not warnings....gonna be a different summer than ever before without a doubt....

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you aren't a Canadian I believe you are exempt. The tax grab is only for us Rezidents Eh Comrade.

Top Bottom