Votes: 27 26.2%
  • No - Don't see the value in getting it

Votes: 7 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, did mine online because I had to, only got 2 wrong.... the wifees turn now..:p

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder and the link scuba:rolleyes:. I'll have to get to it right away!:cool:

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got mine at the Boat and trailer show a few years ago and glad I did:):), talking to some Wardens at Long Lake they will be checking you as you unload your boat. Anyone know what the fine is? :waterskiing:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Well the time has come and everyone is going to need a pleasure craft operators card or else it is a $250 fine........glad i got mine 8 years ago....good luck to all it is fairly easy to get...don't get caught with out it.

Boater Exam.com | Pleasure Craft Operator Card online safe boating exam.

Got mine at the Boat and trailer show a few years ago and glad I did:):), talking to some Wardens at Long Lake they will be checking you as you unload your boat. Anyone know what the fine is? :waterskiing:

Check above. Scuba says 250 :eek:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
forgot all about that deal, saw it on the news last night. used the above posted link to get mine this morning, good to go! Thanks Scuba!! :beer:

just barely passed it too....got 75% :eek:

I guess reading the regulations provided on the site would have been the thing to do.....:d

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
What is with the supervisor required crap???????? Really, if they agree to supervise you what are the cances they will care if you cheat?????? Nothin but a money grab anyhow.....:realmad:

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and my bestfriend Did ours 2 years ago Hammered at K-days, Hilarity ensued.
Really easy test tho, if you can drive a car - you can drive a boat

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and my bestfriend Did ours 2 years ago Hammered at K-days, Hilarity ensued.
Really easy test tho, if you can drive a car - you can drive a boat

got mine 10 years ago. Challenged the exam at the sportsman show. 75 question and you needed 75% to pass. Got 85%. I thought that it was a pretty tough exam.

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno i had a pretty easy go of it and i was nowhere near sober. Chances are the test has changed because i didnt even read the rules and regulations book previous to taking the test. We bassically asked if it was free to write and took a stab in the dark at it. The test was only 25 questions tho

Last edited:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be honest...does anyone on here who got their certification really feel they are a more capable vessel operator now that they've completed the requirements? Was it worth the money and will it make any difference in how people operate their boats ? I find the whole thing to be such a joke.:rant:

Grizzly Adams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had mine since 2002. test is simple. Don't really think it's anything other then a tax grab tho. Out here on the coast the power & sail course thru the coast guard is a way better course. Next will be a sled operators license!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got mine 10 years ago. Challenged the exam at the sportsman show. 75 question and you needed 75% to pass. Got 85%. I thought that it was a pretty tough exam.

the online exam was 36 questions, and you need 27 correct (75%) to pass the test. there were some tricky questions on it, the navigational aids were tough. I did learn a few things tho, the next trip up the mackenzie river should be easier knowing how to use them big orange and white nav aid boards.....:d

I don't think anyone has fair reason to be bitching about it costing money now, should have been on the ball and got it for free like some of these other peeps did (me included). we only had 10 years warning.....;)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
the online exam was 36 questions, and you need 27 correct (75%) to pass the test. there were some tricky questions on it, the navigational aids were tough. I did learn a few things tho, the next trip up the mackenzie river should be easier knowing how to use them big orange and white nav aid boards.....:d

I don't think anyone has fair reason to be bitching about it costing money now, should have been on the ball and got it for free like some of these other peeps did (me included). we only had 10 years warning.....;)

I'm not really bitching about the fact that it costs money.....My complaint is that for years it was unrequired, now they make this exam manditory and I just question the effectiveness. Glad to hear you got something out of it but many have not. If a person is navigating busy shipping lanes in the St Lawrence or offshore then it should be a requirement. However to putt a boat out to the sandbar on Wabamun lake it seems like nothing more than another Government money grab.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It always seems to be about the money but the idea is great...get more people aware of the proper ways to operate vehicles. In the end, it 'might' make a difference in the amount of accidents and injuries so what the he!!, a few bucks won't hurt that much!:cool:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not really bitching about the fact that it costs money.....My complaint is that for years it was unrequired, now they make this exam manditory and I just question the effectiveness. Glad to hear you got something out of it but many have not. If a person is navigating busy shipping lanes in the St Lawrence or offshore then it should be a requirement. However to putt a boat out to the sandbar on Wabamun lake it seems like nothing more than another Government money grab.

I hear ya Ian, especially for the lakes up here....you may not see another boat on some days, and there certainly isn't any kind of commercial traffic or busy waterways of any sorts. I can understand the reasoning behind the decision to make the pleasure craft license mandatory tho, especially in the last few years previous to this economic slowdown where a lot more people had money and bought boats but have zero knowledge of boaters' etiquette, or more importantly, the regulations and equipment beyond what the dealer tells them they need to be legal.

just wait until next summer, when they start enforcing this new deal....there will be a few threads on here with folks bitching about the fines they received. then the money grab thing will really be an issue....like photoradar....lol.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a thought, a boat launch/loading course should almost be mandatory too....hell, a trailer reversing course....or a knot tying endorsement.....

my buddy was giving me a hand loading the boat this summer, it was getting dark and he took my truck to hook up the trailer and backed it into the lake for me. I get the boat onto the trailer, straight first try, and hooked the cable to the loop on the bow. I tell him to pull out, he starts ahead and I feel the boat lurch, and then hear a BANG! here he didn't make sure the hitch was on the ball properly, and closed the jaw on top of the ball....when the hitch came off, it broke one of the hooks on one of the safety chains but the other one held. we had a hell of a time trying to get the hitch back on the ball, the boat and trailer kept going backwards into the lake everytime we tried to back up to re-hook it....glad no one was around to see that operation....lol.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Anyone who bitches about the fines can STFU, not like there was not fair warning. If I were to go out and get caught it's my own fault like I said I just feel the outcome will not have much benifit, if it were an actual required 1 day course then maybe there would be more benifit but all this is doing is putting more money into Izzumi's pocket

I will comply and quit my bitchin....

I hear ya Ian, especially for the lakes up here....you may not see another boat on some days, and there certainly isn't any kind of commercial traffic or busy waterways of any sorts. I can understand the reasoning behind the decision to make the pleasure craft license mandatory tho, especially in the last few years previous to this economic slowdown where a lot more people had money and bought boats but have zero knowledge of boaters' etiquette, or more importantly, the regulations and equipment beyond what the dealer tells them they need to be legal.

just wait until next summer, when they start enforcing this new deal....there will be a few threads on here with folks bitching about the fines they received. then the money grab thing will really be an issue....like photoradar....lol.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I`d bring this puppy back up to the top, got mine over the winter online. Pay now or pay more when you get caught. Fedrallies should be out on the lakes come May long weekend.

Top Bottom