Board and sledsking hill

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was talking to a guy the other day who was trying to get a sledsking and family boarding hill going out there does any one have any solid info

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was talking to a guy the other day who was trying to get a sledsking and family boarding hill going out there does any one have any solid info

Talk about spilling the beans......lol

Dont know who you were talking to, but I am that guy, did we chat ?

We are in very early premliminary stages, but if all goes well, the access can be in by next years snowfall, fingers crossed. This is a large process that takes full goverment approval. Any glading and spacing of "runs" would be tentatively planned for the summer of 2011. It will be quite raw and natural for the first while, but the idea to is provide the access and pick up points.

Please dont expect a glamourous hill with infrastructure, the idea is a publically used, sled assisted ski/boarding hill.

I am very excited to see this project through to completion, but it takes considerable planning and unfortunately patience, so please dont get to excited yet.

Im surprised to see this has gotten out and to the web already. Since it is out there, the support for this project from the public, especially you guys, would go a long way. Please email along your comments / letters of support to email address below.
Thanks

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry curtis i didnt know it was secret. And no it came from another source. If you want i can delete this thread.
Iam a so excited about this, it doesnt need to be fancy at first, but its just what valemont needs, that family and group draw. All the other developements are pointless without a reason for people to stat to come.
Has anyone mentioned downhill mountain biking utilizing the same runs in the summer. it would be possible for a local bussiness to run bike rentals as well as a ranger or something to lift people to the top... I would really like to talk with you at length about this, iam hoping to be in town on thrusday.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MAXWELL ! ....... lol

No secret, there is just a lot of work left to get even the first steps completed and did not want people to get excited yet as we are in very early stages and at this point is it just a desire of VARDA.

Potential for MTB is there, but would need to come later in the process as we hope to make the access trail and glading with no ground disturbance to ease in the application process. If you dont move dirt, the yes's come alot easier. It would be a sweet downhill area to say the least though.

I am teaching a snowmobile safety course on Thursday, but stop in a see me friday, Im in a 7am.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HAHA nope not max, tough to get much out of the kid.

deep blue

Reaction score
That's a wicked idea!

I'm guessing you don't want to spill the beans on the location yet...

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the diff between me putting my board on my sled and riding down w/e hill looks good to me and an area designated to it? is this some previously unused terrain that will be closed off to people who aren't skiing/snowboarding?

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the plan for this hill will be family orientated with runs that you can be easily picked up from and a defined nurse trail up to the top. likely with varying degees of diffilculty. The hill is already there, this is the best idea i have ever heard for valemont yet.
Can u imagine a place where you can go sledding for a day or two then meet up with the family and spend the day boarding, sking with the kids. I CANT WAIT FOR THIS TO HAPPEN.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, people can do this now.

I also disagree. sure you can do this out in the backcountry, but there are a large number of obstacals. On a controlled hill you can have consistant dedicated down hill runs without sledders using it for climbing and boondocking.I would really not want my or anyone else's kids sliding down a hill on any given day in allen creek. it would be about 5 minutes before they were run over.
Most backcoutry areas are fairly remote making it diffucult to access with young families.This one should be realitivly close to town so when littleones get tired and cold they can be back in the warm quickly.
I dont think this hill will satisfy the true backcountry shredder but its a start for family recreation that is badly needed in this struggling little town

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a great idea! I hope it works out for you. Let me know if you need some clearing done, I'm itching to get out cutting somewhere.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also disagree. sure you can do this out in the backcountry, but there are a large number of obstacals. On a controlled hill you can have consistant dedicated down hill runs without sledders using it for climbing and boondocking.I would really not want my or anyone else's kids sliding down a hill on any given day in allen creek. it would be about 5 minutes before they were run over.
Most backcoutry areas are fairly remote making it diffucult to access with young families.This one should be realitivly close to town so when littleones get tired and cold they can be back in the warm quickly.
I dont think this hill will satisfy the true backcountry shredder but its a start for family recreation that is badly needed in this struggling little town

thats exactly it. i have alot of friends and family that stay at our place and dont have anything to do during the day and arent sledders. would be a good option to take up one of the old sleds and go boarding for the day

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, Max and curtis i wont make it this week, both boys are in league finales this weekend so that means 4 hockey games for me .

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This would be SWEET, now i can bring the whole family without hearing any b$!ching about all these boys week-ends. Mom & daughter could skiing after a nice trail ride while dad & son go sledding. I'm also a snowboarder but my passion is sleds but i would definately drag the board along to interact with the girls. I would support this hands down.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the diff between me putting my board on my sled and riding down w/e hill looks good to me and an area designated to it? is this some previously unused terrain that will be closed off to people who aren't skiing/snowboarding?

Yes, it is previously unused terrain that is no good for sledding. This is a very positive idea, adding another element of fun in our valley.

Im out today-tomorrow, but if you want to chat about it, give the office a call on friday.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is previously unused terrain that is no good for sledding. This is a very positive idea, adding another element of fun in our valley.

Im out today-tomorrow, but if you want to chat about it, give the office a call on friday.

Good stuff!

Top Bottom