blown engine

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
well i blew my engine today
throttle side piston doesnt look that great

i did some wiring fixing and routing at my handlebars all day to get her ready for next weekend after i was done thought i test and go out on the field
and make a testrun which was roughly 5 minutes
she rund fine good power all ok
so i headed back
next to the shop she started backfiring and banging out of the exhaust so i shut her off
pulled her in the shop tried pulling but seased
pulled the heads off
and found this

pictures of the sparkplugs which are br9eix-s iridium and i just put them in yesterday with spark plug cable boots
pictures are bad cause there so small there dry and no sign of oil to me on them

pictures of the pistons

close ups

left side (throttle side)

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
close ups clutch side

domes

clutch side

left side

and the jugs close up

left side

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
so for me looks like

i need 2 jugs and pistons

cause also the jug on the clutch side has a scuff mark under that little whole in the pictures (im guessing its the oil whole ?)

any ideas what went wrong would be welcome

and could i take the engine out of my 02 and put it in this one or do i have to change also the ecu and all that stuff ?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fossy can you post some clearer pic of the plugs,I would like to see where the heat line is.
Thanks catmando!
Feel like there has been a death in the family!

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
Fossy can you post some clearer pic of the plugs,I would like to see where the heat line is.
Thanks catmando!
Feel like there has been a death in the family!

cant take pics of the plugs till monday
what are you meaning by heat line ?
if that would be something on the elektrode i doubt youll see anything on those ones cause they are iridrium so the elektrode is 75% smaller than a normal spark plug
but ill give it a try on monday

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fossy, sorry for the loss. I can check for pricing on parts in the city for you. Let me know what you need and year make model and I will look for you.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear fossy.. From the looks of the detonation on the piston it looks like it was really lean.. You can see where it detonated/(eroded) the exhaust side of the piston top.. Also when you said that it seemed to be running really crisp and clean it can sometimes be to good as it'll be to lean.. When it runs really lean it causes alot of extra heat in the cylinder.. These cylinders look to be nikasil not sleeved, so what you would need to do is have them re-nikasiled, you dont have to buy new jugs..

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it looks like a honing should clean up the one cylinder. the bad one looks to have a big gash above the exhaust port. it will need to be repaired. you may be better off finding a used jug. maybe try challenger? Good luck. i hope you get off easy

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Ya, looks like lean burndown.... Did the fuel system freeze-up? Bad gas? Plugged fuel filter or poor fuel pressure? Could be lots of possibilities.....sorry to hear, buddy!!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys think lean burndown? Wouldn't the centre of the piston show tell tale signs? Hard to tell from the pics but my first thought was a ring snag on that chipped port. Also thought maybe lack of lubricaton on that side based on the scuff patterns. Just my thoughts.

I wouldn't blame the plugs as I have been running the BR9EIX for a while now.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
CAN'T ZOOM IN ON THE PICS FOR SOME REASON, BUT THE GOOD PISTON LOOKS VERY LIGHT IN COLOR AND A CENTER DISPERSION BURN MARK, INDICATING POSSIBLE LEAN BACKFIRES, BEFORE SOMETHING LET GO, AND IN THIS CASE, YUP, I THINK THE RING MAY HAVE BROKE DURING ONE OF THE BACKFIRES...... THE RINGS GET FORCED OUT SLIGHTLY AND CATCH ON THE EDGE OF THE PORT AND SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE. THE BACKFIRES MAY HAVE OCCURED INSIDE THE CRANKCASE, WHICH WOULD ENABLE THE RINGS TO BE PUSHED OUTWARD ON A BACKFIRE.........????? NEED BETTER PICS AND MORE OF THE SPARK PLUGS UP CLOSE AND TOP OF PISTONS TOO....:confused:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CAN'T ZOOM IN ON THE PICS FOR SOME REASON, BUT THE GOOD PISTON LOOKS VERY LIGHT IN COLOR AND A CENTER DISPERSION BURN MARK, INDICATING POSSIBLE LEAN BACKFIRES, BEFORE SOMETHING LET GO, AND IN THIS CASE, YUP, I THINK THE RING MAY HAVE BROKE DURING ONE OF THE BACKFIRES...... THE RINGS GET FORCED OUT SLIGHTLY AND CATCH ON THE EDGE OF THE PORT AND SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE. THE BACKFIRES MAY HAVE OCCURED INSIDE THE CRANKCASE, WHICH WOULD ENABLE THE RINGS TO BE PUSHED OUTWARD ON A BACKFIRE.........????? NEED BETTER PICS AND MORE OF THE SPARK PLUGS UP CLOSE AND TOP OF PISTONS TOO....:confused:

Nice one! Took a closer look and yes, I too see the lean mark on the crown of the good piston.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
well im back running so far
throw the 02 engine in today
she fired up idles nice
only have to go for a testrun tomoorow at lunch and than i know for sure

ps: ill bet 100bucks nobody will be able to find my problem since i found it today and its quiet unbelieveable

Top Bottom