Blown '08 800R

geordiep

Reaction score
Buddy blew his 08 XP motor last Friday in Revy. We ended up having to drive it out on one piston because we thought a helicopter lift was $2000. :eek:Turns out it was only $550.:mad:

There are nicks in the cylinder and the exhaust valve is toast. (See pictures)

Talked to Kelsey with RK Tek and he suggested because it is an 08 that the crank MAY not be reliable. He suggested a short block or, if the case is good, get an 09+ crank.

Price from Calgary dealer is over $3000 for short block. Ouch! Prices in the US are around $1800 for short block and $600 for crank.

Questions:
1. can the cylinder be easily repaired or bored out for RKT BB.
2. an tips on splitting crank case. I did my M7 this summer and it was pretty easy. He already has the engine out. (We have a service manual)
3. the head looks toast so would an RK Tek drop in kit be the way to go.

Thanks

Attachments

• piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 434
  • cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 435
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 435
  • exhaust valve.jpg
    exhaust valve.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 433

geordiep

Reaction score
stocker on factory top end with 3000 miles. I assumed the massive carbon build up was due to running the engine on 1 piston for 30 km on the ride out.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks to me like it was detonating until a big enough chunk came off to catch the rave valve on upstroke. I could be wrong tho, maybe the locator pin broke and the ring caught the port causing pieces to bounce around on top. she looks pooched for sure

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thought this was interesting too, looks like oxidization from the carb?
pics011Medium.jpg

pics013Medium.jpg

pics010Medium.jpg

geordiep

Reaction score
What did your buddy do to fix his 08? Was his crank ok? whats your opinion on the 08 crank? We plan to split the case tomorrow night.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What did your buddy do to fix his 08? Was his crank ok? whats your opinion on the 08 crank? We plan to split the case tomorrow night.
he hasn't done anything yet, he's thinking shortblock replacement.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only Kelsey can tell you if the monoblock is worth trying to put his 860 in it. There could be cracks in it as well.

There are a few people selling used monoblocks on kijiji and such for $600-700, but it is used and you don't know what you are getting. I believe there was a guy on here selling monoblock and take off pistons and all, but double check the classifieds. If it wasn't on here it was kijiji.

If the cases are good then yes its worth putting a crank into and a fresh monoblock and possibly a higher compression head.

Check around though I have seen some take off heads for cheap. Then you can just take your head and have it milled down for a little higher compression.

Really unless you are on a really tight budget and have the spare time a new motor is the way to go, but you might as well just do a longblock unless you are set on a aftermarket head with changeable domes.

Does that $3000 shortblock come with a warranty? Thats another thing to consider.

oh! There is a complete used motor on Kiji from a shop in BC for $3500. Brand new, complete motor. New everything with Raves, boots, recoil, oil pump, WOW.

SKIDOO ROTAX 800R ENGINE / MOTOR BRAND NEW 2011 NEVER USED - British Columbia Snowmobiles Parts, Trailers, Accessories For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.

Its a 2011, should have the updated pistons in it as well.

ryan.tanner

Reaction score
An average short block replacement costs $3,700 done in the shop and comes with a one year warranty plus you can get a COR return for up to $700 depending on the condition of the block. This includes a crank but not the cylinder head.

geordiep

Reaction score
1 year warranty IF the dealer installs it. Thats another $700 estimated.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
teeroy what is that white chit. not the first time ive seen it on a carb boot..

shortblocks said and done are about 2000..00

you will need an exhaust valvee also as it does not come with

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
teeroy what is that white chit. not the first time ive seen it on a carb boot..

shortblocks said and done are about 2000..00

you will need an exhaust valvee also as it does not come with
best i can figure is that it's oxidization from the carb horn. the other side didn't have it in down in the boot like that, but it was present where the rubber was touching the carb horn. weird for sure....my buddy was wondering if it may have contributed to the deto but I can't see how. when I tore mine down it has the white crap all around the boot where it mounts on the carbs too, going to put some vaseline or some kind of grease on it when I re-assemble it.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good luck finding a short block heard can take 3-4 weeks. maybe riding is over for the year.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good luck finding a short block heard can take 3-4 weeks. maybe riding is over for the year.
I was lucky, dealer had one in stock that he had brought in back in '08. gave me a smokin deal on it too because he wanted it gone. '09 and up have different size stub on the mag side, if you switch to a newer one you have to buy a stator, balance plate, and flywheel to go along with it to put in an '08 chassis.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was lucky, dealer had one in stock that he had brought in back in '08. gave me a smokin deal on it too because he wanted it gone. '09 and up have different size stub on the mag side, if you switch to a newer one you have to buy a stator, balance plate, and flywheel to go along with it to put in an '08 chassis.

you lugood luck.cked out, can't see dealer dropping price at all. 3-4weeks just to rebuild yours if it is ok. good luck if it's not. i just installed one, i'm lucky have 4 sleds, the right dollar or friend may be able to persuade me for mine.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Future referance.

Call Riverside in Edmonton.

Take sled in on a Thursday. Back on Monday.

Short blocks in stock.

Fast, efficient, fair price and the boys are in constant communication.

This was is what we had just happen and well worth the drive to Edmonton..

Great place to deal with.

Oh Yah! Look at the whole sled to see if ya need anything else without charging over the quoted price.....

Example.... Your skegs are getting close to being being replaced. Would you like us to change or you replace and we will sell to you at cost price...

Awesome service department.....

Top Bottom