Blowing stators

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Is there any reason a sled should go through stators? I just blew my second one in under 200 km on my MountainMax 700. The original went at 4800km, so ordered up one through Royal Distributing cause it was 300 bucks cheaper than Yamaha. Is it possible I just got a faulty unit or is there something else I should be looking for?

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Take it nobody really knows to much about stators. Sending them to RMStator to be rewound anyways, hopefully it'll be cheaper than buying new.

snowdad4

Reaction score
what year is your sled? there were some common failures on stators with some years at around 3000 miles. yamaha corrected them at some point. i have never had any luck with aftermarkets or cheap stators, probably why the rd one failed so quickly. feedback on having yours rewound would be interesting.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what year is your sled? there were some common failures on stators with some years at around 3000 miles. yamaha corrected them at some point. i have never had any luck with aftermarkets or cheap stators, probably why the rd one failed so quickly. feedback on having yours rewound would be interesting.
X2 on the aftermarket electrical. been burnt on CDI's that way before on a 400 Kodiak, first time used the winch it popped, no issues after OEM reinstalled.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
My sled is a 97 mountain
Max 700 with 5000 km on it. Looking at Yamaha's part number they've had two updates for it now. The royal one actually looked beefier than the original stock unit. They're on there way to RM Stator in Quebec right now. Guarantee a 72 hour repair/turnaround time so they should be on there way at back by end if next week. As to how good it'll be, guess I'll find out lol.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Stators came back from the repair shop. They rewound the ignition coils. Charged $175 apiece. Installed the original factory stator and sled seems to be running properly. Took for a quick rip down the road and across the field. Only time will tell if its a wise investment to have the repairs done vs buying new. Reset my tripometer to see how long it lasts. Now just need the time to ride.

Top Bottom