Black Tanks

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. Here is my problem. We have been travel trailer people for 2 years now. My constant headache is the blank tank. It doesn't matter what I do, there is always blockages, the gauges never read empty.

I use Rv TP, lots of water with each flush, having a healthy amount of water sitting in the black before use, etc. anyone have any hot tips? There has gotta be an easy solution here. Constant pain in the rear.

What are you guys doing with your tanks before, during and after use?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Don't look at the gauge.

I've never tried it but I've heard that a bunch of ice sloshing around while driving helps clean tank.I try to put about 1/4 tank of water while travelling .Could probably put a splash of dish soap in there.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard if you fill it half full of water and put a few bags of ice and drive around it will help to clean the sensors. I am going to try it this weekend.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't go by the quage they are all garbage and aren't reliable. Sounds like you are doing everything right I wouldn't worry about it

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have filled up the tank half way and dumped a cup of tide in there. Drove home from camping and it seemed to work. That was after I dumped the tank.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done the water on there and golf balls

Sh!tty job to clean the balls after, but reusable

Black flush is the best thing tho

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done the water on there and golf balls

Black flush is the best thing tho

Back flush. Our has a water line connection on the outside. I back flush after dumping. It rinses the tank out.

You out can also buy the adapter you put down the tolet that does that as well.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After dumping we fill the tanks with a couple buckets full of water and use RV Boss. Leave it in there till the next tank dumping. For extreme cases I have read about people using a bunch of Costco's Kirkland dishwasher gel, a fair bit of water, and letting it sloch for the drive home.

Did you buy the trailer used? Might be something in there you don't know about.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old travel trailer was bad to I had one of the wands that go down the toilet. Had a nice jet out the side that you could spray around and blast all the stuff out with. Worked good but watch the spray back not nice getting poo water on you.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem with the wand down the tank is unless the toilet is right over the tank it won't do nothing

JDen

Reaction score
I bought my Jayco brand new and I don't think the gauge on it has ever came all the way down when emptying the tank. I just quit looking at it while emptying, it reads fine in the filling direction, just doesn't seem to go empty

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fill it partially with water and then use an enzyme treatment I got from Canadian Tire it seems to work alright to keep it draining. If it's still not I have used a mixture of fabric softener and calgon water softener with good results. The tank gauge still doesn't work, it reads full all the time. I wish mine had the hose hookup for the high pressure flush.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I know they're available but i don't like drilling holes in hardwall RV's and mine has a belly pan under the whole unit as well.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fill it partially with water and then use an enzyme treatment I got from Canadian Tire it seems to work alright to keep it draining. If it's still not I have used a mixture of fabric softener and calgon water softener with good results. The tank gauge still doesn't work, it reads full all the time. I wish mine had the hose hookup for the high pressure flush.

You may wish you had a high pressure flush hookup on your RV but my wife wished ours didn't have one when I turned on the hose to ours by accident and left it until there was a 5 ft poo geyser out of our toilet when she opened the flush valve. I was really popular that day.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may wish you had a high pressure flush hookup on your RV but my wife wished ours didn't have one when I turned on the hose to ours by accident and left it until there was a 5 ft poo geyser out of our toilet when she opened the flush valve. I was really popular that day.

LOL awesome!

Sent from my Galaxy S4.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Baaaaaaaaaaaa , to be a fly on the wall that day

Wait no its ok I'll pass

Top Bottom