Big bores and nitrous vs turbo setup

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
yah chris burandt is an amazing rider who started with BB+nos and now runs a turbo, un real in trees, i think im going to do the back country riding with chris burandt this year, looks fun to me.

this is what i figured a proper setup shouldnt blow belts and like u say with less slipage comes less heat, or have any issuse with boost leaks when pounding the crap out of your sled.. makes me want to buy a turbo very soon for my D8, but my car is going to come first :D

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i WAS JUST TALKING TO SOME OF THE DEALERS IN THE AREA ABOUT THESE TURBO SETUPS AND EVERYONE SO FAR HAS SAID THAT USUALLY AFTER A YEAR THE TOP END OF THE MOTOR USUALLY TENDS TO GO. i'M WONDERING HOW TRUE IT IS CAUSE THAT IS THE LAST THING I WANT IS TO SPEND A TON OF MONEY ON A TURBO AND THEN EVERY YEAR HAVE TO KEEP REBUILDING TOP OR BOTTOM ENDS!! iS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT KNOWS OF ANYWAYS OF GETTING MORE THAN A YEAR OUT OF THE MOTOR

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol

that REALLY depends on what you do.

the amount of boost you run and type of fuel you use will decide how long your motor lasts.

on a GOOD riding season you would want to freshen up your top end every 2 seasons or 3 seasons anyways on a NA sled.

a turbo will increase the frequency of top end rebuilds. as will any modification....you cant make power with out $$. its an expensive game and any modifying will decrease the life of your motor.

as far as bottom ends go.....i dont think thats a problem with a pG turbo

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i think I will just run a nice big bore and nitrous setup this year the turbo's to me are just way way to much money for what you are actually getting I'm sure when you have it is worth every penny but $6000 for a kit when i can spend $4000 on my dmax and twin turbo and do a big bore kit with nos on the sled for well under $10,000 sounds like the way for me to fast toys for pretty much the price of one:)

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
yes power aint cheap
im getting in to the 10k mark with a car being turboed, have to rebuild motor, due all my valve work, tranny work, and major fuel system upgrades and not to mention 2k for a standalone.. yah sure ill be 650whp+ but this is getting expensive..

i should have bought a turbo from silber turbo and put it on my sled instead and waited another year to do my car, but oh well live and learn and i should have sum fun next summer

the dragon i think will be fine after the update and put a single pipe and a PCIII and clutch it, should still take me higher than i need,
i might also cut my track down a bit, ive heard good things from snowest forums about doing that,

maybe a turbo on the D8 next year:beer::d

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
lets put it this way. chris burandt runs a turbo. and he is the best tree rider there is. its just a matter of getting the right setup for your application. turbo size, bloff off valves, fuel pumps, charge tube lengths, intercoolers. regulators all that jazz have an effect.

as far as parts go.......its a toss up. with either one of these kits your not going to be able to go to the local dealer and get a piston. you will be down for a while.

they can both do damage. bigger HP is harder on the bottom end period.

Maxwell I think you watch too many videos, theres alot of backcountry riders that woud run with and out run burant in the trees. you just never see them unless your a local in there town.

For boondocking on a m8 I think I mentioned before, porting and head mod, with some nitrous is all you would need, turbos are fun for top speed and long pulls. and the m8 is one of the best turboed sleds around stock.

Ted,

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am a local in there town. never seen riding like that. sure good but not that good.

im not saying burandt is the best but to ride like that it requires a responsive sled. and most people are worried about turbo lag. just saying there not just for hillclimbing.

some of the things he pulls in the trees there is NO WAY you could do it on a NA/BB/NOS machine.

to each there own.

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
i am a local in there town. never seen riding like that. sure good but not that good.

im not saying burandt is the best but to ride like that it requires a responsive sled. and most people are worried about turbo lag. just saying there not just for hillclimbing.

some of the things he pulls in the trees there is NO WAY you could do it on a NA/BB/NOS machine.

to each there own.

agree
i have never seen anyone ride like brandt as hard as he does, people can do it im sure, but dont like to the kinda stuff that nut ball does.
ive seen sum locals ride hard but no where near the riding that brandt used to do with his BB/NOS and it doesnt compare to his new sleds - now there way faster there seems to be no spool time its just always on

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So guys never boondocked before turbo's came out? LOL Not taking anything away from Burandt here but.......

Sorry kids, seen lots of riders do crazy things and boondock some serious sh!t with BB's, long before turbo's were even around. If you want to talk responsive in the trees, let's talk NA sleds with big bores, like 90 mm+ bores. Grab a handful of throttle on a 1200+cc class sled in the trees and tell me that they aren't responsive. We'll see what is said when you pick the pine needles out of your teeth and your sled out of the top of the tree :D

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agree
i have never seen anyone ride like brandt as hard as he does, people can do it im sure, but dont like to the kinda stuff that nut ball does.
ive seen sum locals ride hard but no where near the riding that brandt used to do with his BB/NOS and it doesnt compare to his new sleds - now there way faster there seems to be no spool time its just always on

You've obviously never ridden with the Micku's. They make alot of people look pretty average. They ride like that when camera's aren't around.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys take this way to seriously. whats wrong with promoting turbos in the trees.

all were saying is a turbo sled can hang in the trees. end of story. some of the best riders use them

sure a 1200 is the same as a turbo im not arguing that.

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
you guys take this way to seriously. whats wrong with promoting turbos in the trees.

all were saying is a turbo sled can hang in the trees. end of story. some of the best riders use them

yah im not bicthing just saying burandt is an amazing rider and even better with his turbo than his BB

AND NO ALL I DO IS BOONDOCK only fun thing to do, im not intrested going up a chute just to turn around and let my sled go tumbling down the hill like all those BIG BOOSTED apexs do, ever watch any BOOST movies they ccrash all the time.

id also love to have a 1200CC BB but thats to much money for me id prefer to turbo my sled for half the price that motor costs

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
You've obviously never ridden with the Micku's. They make alot of people look pretty average. They ride like that when camera's aren't around.

seen him ride in many vids unreal rider i give him that...
and yah i met the cory micku hes was a jerk, thought his ch!t didnt stink rude and un polite to me, tried to ask him sum questions and jsut brushed me off he could care less that he had me as a fan soo i dont think of him to much anymore
met alot of other pros and where no where near as rude

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen him ride in many vids unreal rider i give him that...
and yah i met the cory micku hes was a jerk, thought his ch!t didnt stink rude and un polite to me, tried to ask him sum questions and jsut brushed me off he could care less that he had me as a fan soo i dont think of him to much anymore
met alot of other pros and where no where near as rude

M- 8 pumpgas works awesome.. my brother bought the boondockers kit and u can run 7 -8 pounds max but dont forget 200 hp at altitude is alot more than any big bore m8. We ride areas like devils garden, mount hall. eagles pass and always play in the trees. Trust me if you are a decent rider this power will make you better, a pumpgas m8 rocks in the trees. the best sled for breaking trail super light and nimble and it whirls the track in the deep powder. We rode 1800 miles last yr. Turbo was on before breakin and not even a hicup. You have to change the oil in the turbo every other day. but even then the turbo bearings showed wear by spring. this yr we rigged a water cooled oil set up that will keep the oil cool. i would stay away from any other kits unless you are a tuner. My buddy spent 13000 on a xrs at absolute power and after two blow ups in two rides hes going back to 860 big bore. Be careful on who does the kits theres alot of guys selling turbos for $ but dont worry about your fun factor. There is 4 boondocker pump gas kits on m8s in my group and they all run great

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I thought we were debating which is more responsive??

You need to be comparing the big bores like 1000cc+ to the turbos, because if you are running anywhere above 10 lbs generally, there are not too many 860's that are going to hang with you once you push the 200 HP range.

You need a bigger bore.

So apples to apples, a 250 hp big bore or a 250 hp turbo - which is more responsive in the trees? :D

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought we were debating which is more responsive??

You need to be comparing the big bores like 1000cc+ to the turbos, because if you are running anywhere above 10 lbs generally, there are not too many 860's that are going to hang with you once you push the 200 HP range.

You need a bigger bore.

So apples to apples, a 250 hp big bore or a 250 hp turbo - which is more responsive in the trees? :D

haha. well ive never tried a 1200 big bore so ill stay out of this one.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I;ve always wanted to try out the 1800cc genisis big bore. 360hp 230ft/lbs all motor. Can you imagine that with a turbo? And on NOS..lol:bow:

15_800_VEP2.jpg

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol yah if you could get ahold of the guy that builds him and not have him screw you that would be sweet haha. also like 14,000.......

Ya not cheap,,definatly out of my price range. There was a guy in Red Deer
who had one in a custom mountain sled years ago,,,,,Oh the stuff i would get
when i win the lottery...lol

Top Bottom