Big bores and nitrous vs turbo setup

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 m8 sno pro was thinking of doing either a BD or OVS pump gas turbo but then was considering the outrageous price of the turbo kits compared to doing a m9 big bore with a 50 shot of nos and getting the same horsepower. If anyone has any suggestions or opinions on wethere to do a turbo or big bore with nitrous please let me know!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep in mind its only the same HP for a short amount of time. ill be honest from what ive seen and read about a Pump gas turbo would not be any faster than a properly setup big bore. but lets not get into that argument. a race gas or race gas mix turbo would blow any big bore out of the water.

by the time your done with the big bore and nitrous you will be around 4000.
full race setup or PG setup you would be looking around 6-8 setup.

personally the pump gas setup is just a waste to me. spending that much coin to run LOW boost when the race gas setups arent that much more.

another thing to consider is a turbo is going to be slightly harder on the motor than a big bore with nitrous used once and a while. but parts are harder to get etcetcetc

nitrous costs $$ aswell and you will need to run a race gas mix anyways.

its a toss up.

big bore with or without nitrous you will be running with the PG turbos. at a lesser cost.
but the power will only be there sometimes.

race mix turbo is the way to go. especially when you have an EFI machine. big HP and its there all the time. more $$ but thats up to you.

a well setup big bore and nitrous can be a mean machine. an xp 880 on nitrous was climbing the chutes in revy with the turbos last season.

ill get my popcorn now and see what everyone else has to say.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I went with the nitrous option and I had a turbo last year and my sled will be alot lighter this year and I am looking forward to the riding season. I found it easier to boondock and play in the trees with out the turbo all the time, but now if i need more power it is at the push of a button and I havent spent as much money on it as I would of with the turbo. That is just my opinion.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the dollar is great right now, it might be a good time to pick up a turbo right from ovs or bd , i thought the kits were in the 5-6 g mark right now. Maxwell is right though, if you are going to spend that much money you might as well run race gas and have all the power you want

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
the dollar is great right now, it might be a good time to pick up a turbo right from ovs or bd , i thought the kits were in the 5-6 g mark right now. Maxwell is right though, if you are going to spend that much money you might as well run race gas and have all the power you want

silber turbos - these guys are very cheap and from what i hear very good

woody

Reaction score

It amazes me that these companys will ship direct to customers when they have retailers in the trade area. In other industries this never happens.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i think i'm gonna go big bore and nitrous i ride in SE bc and SW ab flathead valley area and up around cranbrook were we have lots of trees so ya the boondocking is a major issue for me. so i'm thinking the m9 kit with a bottle will be my best option

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
ya i think i'm gonna go big bore and nitrous i ride in SE bc and SW ab flathead valley area and up around cranbrook were we have lots of trees so ya the boondocking is a major issue for me. so i'm thinking the m9 kit with a bottle will be my best option

ID personally go big bore too, way better low end torque what a guy needs to boondock.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever riden a pump gas kit at 10psi or 12psi on av gas
at a $1.30 pr liter ????. All the riding I do is in the trees if you cant boondock
with a "pump gas" turbo kit its not set up right. After your done with the BB and nos your looking at $4000 anyway and still have to fill the bottle and what about the BB kit high comp you dont think you will need some sort of race mix.It would not be wise to not run race mix with nos you would have to run 20% race mix pr tank to use nos or it wont last.A pump gas kit at 10psi works well and will spank the bb any time and you will have race gas anyway.
Talk to some people with turbo set ups and get more input. I used to run a 900 with nos for 3 years trust me you will need to run race fuel.When you get bored at 10psi turn it to 12 psi for free.

Chris

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where and what kit are you getting 12 psi out of a PUMP gas turbo? those sound like race gas numbers to me.

av gas is not pump gas but is deffinetly a cheaper 'alternative" but thats a whole new debate.

yes the bb will need a good 1/4 1/3 race fuel mix. especially on nitrous. unless you get the kit that injects race fuel only with nitrous. those are a slick setup

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WELL I'M DEFINATELY NOT GETTING A RACE GAS TURBO. I've talked to lots of guys in the cranbrook area who hate there turbos in the trees said good for pulling shoots not great in super tight trees. I have a good friend who has a 860 big bore with the nitrous kit on it running it for two years now on 91 octane and no issues at all.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i guess my main thing also will be wich one is gonna cost me more in maintenance and rebuiulding wrecked motor parts the big bore kit or the turbo

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever riden a pump gas kit at 10psi or 12psi on av gas
at a $1.30 pr liter ????. All the riding I do is in the trees if you cant boondock
with a "pump gas" turbo kit its not set up right. After your done with the BB and nos your looking at $4000 anyway and still have to fill the bottle and what about the BB kit high comp you dont think you will need some sort of race mix.It would not be wise to not run race mix with nos you would have to run 20% race mix pr tank to use nos or it wont last.A pump gas kit at 10psi works well and will spank the bb any time and you will have race gas anyway.
Talk to some people with turbo set ups and get more input. I used to run a 900 with nos for 3 years trust me you will need to run race fuel.When you get bored at 10psi turn it to 12 psi for free.

Chris

chris u my cuzin cal and sheldons buddy im sure of

ive heard from alot of people running a turbo go through about 2 belts a trip
i cant see this being true at all, this is what my buddy told me, with proper clutching and alighnment i cant see this happening
also has anyone had problems with boost leaks in the charge tubes or airbox when jumping your sled?? its very common for a vehicle to get a boost leak when a guy hits a pot hole when the car was NA to begin, but i guess on who puts the turbo on..

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lets put it this way. chris burandt runs a turbo. and he is the best tree rider there is. its just a matter of getting the right setup for your application. turbo size, bloff off valves, fuel pumps, charge tube lengths, intercoolers. regulators all that jazz have an effect.

as far as parts go.......its a toss up. with either one of these kits your not going to be able to go to the local dealer and get a piston. you will be down for a while.

they can both do damage. bigger HP is harder on the bottom end period.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will not blow belts if it is set up right. With added power sometimes belt temp is less because it dosent have to slip as much. maxwell what determines pump gas or race gas on a kit ??? it doesent matter if its a pump gas kit you have the choice on what you want to run as to what kind of gas you want to run. If you want to run pump gas than dont go over 8 psi at alt. IF you want to run 10psi than you half to run av gas you can run up to 14psi on a pump gas kit if you run the right fuel. The key is the fuel the fuel determines where you will run it at. Some engine builders see longer piston life because of the even pressure that boost puts on a engine (PISTONS).If anyone is putting nos on a BB engine tell the builder before so thay can put a lower compression head on it NOS does not like high comp or a lot of timing thats why NOS runs good on stock motors.So the power from installing a BBore is comming from biger bore and high comp and poss timing just what you dont want to run with NOS.My BD turbo has no lag and it is a pump gas kit at 12psi I do not run a intercooler so i have void to fill with boost it spools fast .After running BBS and nos this is way better and cheaper to run and the moter is stock.Im more than happy to let anyone that can ride take it for a spin.The only people i know that have trouble boondocking in deep snow in tight trees is turbo apex.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alot of things are differant from a low boost pump system to a high boost race system

upgraded fuel systems, pump, injectors, blow off valves,intercooolers,fans, larger, boost reeds, water kits, larger turbos, differant programming, and cost.....

but obviously you can push a pump system further than 5lbs by running a better fuel. tottally agree.

Top Bottom