Best UTV for putsing around the yard, and mountain trail riding

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Honda pioneer with the 2 seats that fold into the box?

Sounds like a good idea but haven't heard much.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like my 900 ranger. Tons of power nice big box and can pull an amazing amount of weight. And will surprise most people on the trail. And as far as price they are priced very well. Just look on kijiji to see how many are for sale, pretty much none so that tells you most guys like them. Most guys I talk to with a commander will try giving it to you lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure who your talking to but I love my Commander and wouldnt trade it for any other sxs on the market. It fits my needs perfectly and I find it to be the best combination of sport, utility and quality on the market today.

Last edited:

tsiciliano

Reaction score
Yamaha wolverine would suit the bill pretty well and are under 20 after taxes well equipped plus yamahas run for so long

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure who your talking to but I love my Commander and wouldnt trade it for any other sxs on the market. It fits my needs perfectly and I find it to be the best combination of spot, utility and quality on the market today.

Not here to dis any other brand, they all have their pros and cons, but...
I Have to agree with Tom, I rather enjoy my Commander, good suspension, great gas mileage, very comfortable seating, and no,... i would not "give" it away to anyone, it is also NOT for sale,... planning to have fun with it for years to come.. I say you should take em all for a ride and then make up your mind

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure who your talking to but I love my Commander and wouldnt trade it for any other sxs on the market. It fits my needs perfectly and I find it to be the best combination of spot, utility and quality on the market today.

To be real fare I only known and went with 2 on 2 separate rides. They had good power and went fast. But they both had belt issues and over heating the whole day. And they have no ground clearance! They got stuck in holes and needed to be winched out, where there was 3 900 rangers that all made it through they same hole in 2 wheel drive. But this is my experience with them. Glad yours works good for how and where you ride!

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be real fare I only known and went with 2 on 2 separate rides. They had good power and went fast. But they both had belt issues and over heating the whole day. And they have no ground clearance! They got stuck in holes and needed to be winched out, where there was 3 900 rangers that all made it through they same hole in 2 wheel drive. But this is my experience with them. Glad yours works good for how and where you ride!

maybe you might want to look at the drivers more than the machines. I have never had a belt issue, never overheated and in our group of 6 to 12 regular machines there are yammys, polaris, canams of all different models. Never have a problem, spend more time winching others out.

My old outlander I had to do the rad relocate because of heating issues, but never went through a belt, now with my Commander it has never come close to over heating, never touched the belt.

If your buddies on the Comader are having problems following 900 Rangers then they are the problem, not the machine. One of my best riding buddies runs a 900 Ranger, he loves it, but we are also always waiting on him. To each their own.

I have not recommended the Comander in this thread because it appears the OP is more interested in a strait utilitarian machine rather than a cross over.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

factory spec ground clearance:

Commander 11"
Ranger 11"
Wolverine 11.4"

If you wanna go aftermarket, anybody can do almost anything depending on how radical you want it.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of the 3 above based on the OPs remarks I would choose the ranger hands down .... The ranger is very capable off road / and can out pull / work the commander all day . If you are even slightly concerned about sport riding , both the ranger & commander are a poor choice ....

The Yamaha simply does not have enough power to be any fun .....
my opinions only though!

On a side note ... But more $$$
I would look very closely at a new general or a Honda 1000 ( not pos 700 )they are very capable / and a lot faster than a commander if you want a fast crossover....
have looked over the new Honda and very impressed .....!

Last edited:

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My mother and her hubby bought a white Pioneer for the farm that sat in the shop for 3 months waiting for parts before they even had a chance to get it dirty. Not sure what that issue was about. As far as Commanders go, not many seen around here since Mavericks became popular, but nearly all the owners I know were previous RZR owners that had a full time job putting them back together or replacing engines.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
factory spec ground clearance:

Commander 11"
Ranger 11"
Wolverine 11.4"

If you wanna go aftermarket, anybody can do almost anything depending on how radical you want it.

One thing about the ranger is it sits half way through the travel of the suspension. The middle has to come off the ground 20" or more before the wheels leave the ground. The others don't travel that much. But not sure about the wolverine. To the op just look at them all take them all for a ride and pick one.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Commander is nice but it needs an updating. I've got a a few friends that have had them for a long time, love riding passenger in them! Take a look at changing a belt on that thing or oil change. Then look at Polaris, very well thought out. We've changed a few commander belts on the trail, not fun at all.
My vote is a ranger. You can get a brand new ranger 570 for $11k OTD ($12.7 w/ PS). 2 year warranty and good HP for the little buggy. 58" or 60" wide in that model.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Just a heads up... a couple have suggested an "older" Rhino. A buddy of mine just bought one and was in Riverside on the weekend. They told him that because they were discontinued after 2012, that parts are getting harder and harder to come by. Now, granted, they are still out there, but for how long....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no idea where this should go, so point me in the right direction if it should be some were, where, wear else.

Anyway- looking at buying a sxs. Most for around the yard, fencing, gardening, stuff like that. Would also be used for trail riding, stuff like that. I had a rzr in the past, but another one would't be as practical yet.

So, do I by a Ranger xp 900, or Wildcat 1000 xt?? Or what??

Thanks
Number #1 - find a good dealer who will take care of you after the sale - if you're considering Yamaha or Cat I would go see Mark or Terry at T&T in Bonnyville, take a few models for a ride. I know that Cat has had some poor press in the past, but I fricken LOVE our Wildcat Trail - (probably a bit small in stature for a utility machine, we use ours for straight mudding) and if I was looking at a utility machine, wouldn't be scared to look at a Prowler. The price is right, and from what I've seen they'll travel through mud with no problems. A friend has a Viking, and it works very well too. (He gets a lot of teasing / ribbing about his "golf cart", but honestly it is very capable out in the bush). You'll get a LOT of brand bias from this site, but honestly any machine can give you a smile and grief at the same time - they are all great when they work, and they are all junk when they aren't. You need to determine how much much you'll use it as a work tool (fencing, etc), and how much recreational use it will sell to determine which is the best one for you. Is speed important? How fast do you really NEED to go when off road? RZR's, Wildcats & Mavericks go like hell, but how often are you going to use that top end? Most trail riding is up to 50km/h tops, at least where I ride...

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my Commander 800XT for exactly the same reason. Good to use around the yard and great for the wife to use when we go camping. No complaints about it at all.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Number #1 - find a good dealer who will take care of you after the sale - if you're considering Yamaha or Cat I would go see Mark or Terry at T&T in Bonnyville, take a few models for a ride. I know that Cat has had some poor press in the past, but I fricken LOVE our Wildcat Trail - (probably a bit small in stature for a utility machine, we use ours for straight mudding) and if I was looking at a utility machine, wouldn't be scared to look at a Prowler. The price is right, and from what I've seen they'll travel through mud with no problems. A friend has a Viking, and it works very well too. (He gets a lot of teasing / ribbing about his "golf cart", but honestly it is very capable out in the bush). You'll get a LOT of brand bias from this site, but honestly any machine can give you a smile and grief at the same time - they are all great when they work, and they are all junk when they aren't. You need to determine how much much you'll use it as a work tool (fencing, etc), and how much recreational use it will sell to determine which is the best one for you. Is speed important? How fast do you really NEED to go when off road? RZR's, Wildcats & Mavericks go like hell, but how often are you going to use that top end? Most trail riding is up to 50km/h tops, at least where I ride...

I agree with all of what you have put forth , accept the 1000 cat motor ... Not a fan here. Lol
The Kymco motor / transaxle in your trail is far superior to cats own drive line in the 1000 prowler/ wildcat ....IMO
I also would point out it is hard to find out which dealers are the " good " ones until it is too late.... Sometimes !

Fact is all the machines are pretty good now a days ... Proper Set up of the machine / maintenance and buying the correct machine for the terrain you ride play a much larger roll typically , than the decal on the sides......

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would have to agree with rzrgade from the description of your intended use i would strongly look at the pioneer 1000

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I have seen time and time again that I feel should be pointed out is this ....
A person buys a SXS to " putz " around and does so quite happily . He then inevitably goes for a rip with the boys ( lol) ....
Well we all know how that turns out.....
Now don't get me wrong , we don't all need turbo RZR s ..... But it is just a fact some machines just can't even keep up / or are stuck in every mud puddle .... It then frustrates the riders in all the machines . Said owner then spends countless $$$ trying to make the unit he bought into something it is not....and fails .

This is not true in every case , but you would be surprised at the buyers remorse once the bug hits you...lol

If there is a slim chance you may fall into this category , do not under buy! It will frustrate you and cost way more $$ in the long run...
There are now many machines out there that are very capable on the trail / and great for a family outing ....times have changed !
so do your due diligence ...., lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom