Best type of suspension

Utter_Kaos

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions I'm looking to upgrade my 2014 xm.

Debating between the exit or raptor suspension does any one have any good advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Debating between the exit or raptor suspension does any one have any good advice.

I have Elka on my Pro Rmk. I think its a huge improvement. A bit pricey but you are getting a more tunable shock than raptor or exit.

Utter_Kaos

Reaction score
I will look into those thank you

snowrideadventures

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowrideadventures.com

I ran Z-Broz (Exit Shocks) in my XM last year and they worked really well in the alpine, the triple rate spring gave the sled a plush feel and enabled the machine to get on side easily, also the shocks had good bottom out resistance. The only downfall was on whooped out icy trails the triple rate springs went through the stroke of the travel too quickly and in the spring when conditions firmed up, I would have liked to have stiffer valving in the shocks.

That lead me to try out the Fox Evol RCs (fronts) with a Tom's e-motion kit for the rear this season as it seems to have the quick and easy solution to be able to completely change the behavior of the shock with an air pumped. So far, I've found the performance of this set-up to be really good, although I still need to dial it in a bit, but that is the beauty of this set-up, it has infinite adjustability. Suspension is probably the first and most important place to start in terms of performance mods, you can't put the power to the snow and ride aggressively with stock suspension, likely any option you look at will be a vast improvement. JMTs- Cheers!-J

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran Z-Broz (Exit Shocks) in my XM last year and they worked really well in the alpine, the triple rate spring gave the sled a plush feel and enabled the machine to get on side easily, also the shocks had good bottom out resistance. The only downfall was on whooped out icy trails the triple rate springs went through the stroke of the travel too quickly and in the spring when conditions firmed up, I would have liked to have stiffer valving in the shocks.

That lead me to try out the Fox Evol RCs (fronts) with a Tom's e-motion kit for the rear this season as it seems to have the quick and easy solution to be able to completely change the behavior of the shock with an air pumped. So far, I've found the performance of this set-up to be really good, although I still need to dial it in a bit, but that is the beauty of this set-up, it has infinite adjustability. Suspension is probably the first and most important place to start in terms of performance mods, you can't put the power to the snow and ride aggressively with stock suspension, likely any option you look at will be a vast improvement. JMTs- Cheers!-J

I echo this. I run an Emotion rear with Evol R’s up front. It takes a little time to get dialed, but the adjustability is real nice. With the Evol Chambers you can make the front end really soft to sidehill or firm it up for less roll, all while using the Evol chamber to help resist bottoming. They are a shock that takes a little trial and error find the sweet spot though. I would highly recommend Tom’s as he’s using some proprietary parts inside that sure help.

Adjustability is often overlooked IMO. A properly valved and setup shock is night and day different than an off the shelf calibrated shock. A good shock builder either be valving to your weight or have the ability to adjust to it.

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all three exit,raptor or elka are great shocks & will do more than most guys would care to play with,i have tried all three & no complaints on them & all good to deal with,all are custom set up for your weight & riding style & then allow you one send back for adjustments.as for the air shocks i have not tried the newer floats so cant comment but the older ones were so inconsistent that i have never gone back to them.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This might not help your problem, but the kyb40's that come with the freeride are a awesome shock with a ton of adjustability. Pushed them really hard through 30kms of whoops the other day to see what they'd take. Started to fade a little the last few kms, but not too bad. Got warm to the touch but not hot.Tthe kyb 36's on the X would have failed 5km in. Elkas would be a good choice IMO. I have never tried the Exits, but they appear to have a quite large reservoir which is what you want in a high performance shock.(needs to be valved accordingly of course )A shock absorber works by turning kinetic energy into thermal energy through fluid friction. More oil capacity=more heat capacity=less fading.

Utter_Kaos

Reaction score
Will have to look into those elka

Top Bottom