best track length for the mountains

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont care. ride it im not a bs er. sled has never been less than 6000ft

depending compeltely on the snow and obviously the stock clutch setup isnt great it will fluctuate due to my rpms. but when it holds 8200 43-48mph is about the norm....

that is with the crappy stock 2.25 and porting aswell.

ill tripple check this weekend.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm seeing 80km/hr with a 162 2.5 but the small drivers read too fast on the spedo I think it works out to 72-74 in real life. I don't think id want any less i don't think.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok well I would say I am 65 to just ove 70 kms depending on snow but I know it has never hit 80. I have the dj kit in it as well.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 07 with a 162x2.25 non ported powdermax track I was seeing 56 mph in a dead of a climb last weekend. No bull. That was in a foot of fresh aroung 5-6000 feet. I usually seen 44-46 mph but after playing with some helix's and a team clutch it is ripping HARD. We were up and the area was busy and the only two sleds that were beating me were a turboed rx-1 and a supercharged apex and the apex was'nt that far ahead of me. By the way my sled is not big bored but it does have some bolt ons. I know it sounds far fetched and trust me I had a hard time believing my speedo but it was killing any other 800 up there and badly.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys with 154 can't keep up with the group I ride with all with 163. I know I used to be one of them.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take the speedo out and throw it in the garbage. You will gain the biggest performance improvement by getting rid of the weight that it adds to your sled, other than that - it has no tuning value.

It looks like the keyboard racing speeds in here are about as fast as ever.... :D

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take the speedo out and throw it in the garbage. You will gain the biggest performance improvement by getting rid of the weight that it adds to your sled, other than that - it has no tuning value.

It looks like the keyboard racing speeds in here are about as fast as ever.... :D

we are comparing xp to xp. these speedo should be close to one another. however i use an analog ( everest ) guage not sure on the accuracy between the digital and analog. deffinetly not acurate to a radar gun but the guages themselves should be relative to one another within reason.
im not a keyboard racer just posting my observations

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whatever - my sled gets 65-70 mph track speeds and I take down 163's all the time, with my 156". Don't see a 154" being that much different.

I know a guy with a 144" track that will kill a 174" in the right snow conditions. He sees track speeds of 50+mph all the time.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a sales guy at a dealership we had all three as demo's last season. The 146 is fun and when its flat it turns on a dime, once the snow gets deeper and the hills get steeper I found that I did not like it as much as I thought.
I ride a 154 and it works great everywhere.
The 163 felt like a different sled, it was a tractor and ruled climbing and was harder to get stuck, but I had alot less fun riding it. I dont highmark, I like climbing chutes though, and the big sled worked great for that. At the end of the season 5 of us at the shop rode each sled at different times.
146 had 400 miles
both 154's had over 1000 miles
and the 63 had 400 miles
Expert riders in my group of riding buddies like and ride the 163, but when we trade back and forth they all have more fun on the 54.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have found the 163 opens up so many more possibilities. im not a highmarker im more of an all around rider. jumping and drops and technical tree lines and smaller chutes. i used to drive past almost everything because i knew my 154 would not do it and in these high avy conditions i sure am glad i can go in the trees and try some crazy technical stuff. the ONLY disadvantage i have found with the 163 is turning radius. but i will live with that.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good rider with a 121" X 2" will school anyone on the hill. 4 ft of fresh or hardpack, makes no difference. Your uber-long tracks won't save you either. Might as well admit defeat now........

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are comparing xp to xp. these speedo should be close to one another. however i use an analog ( everest ) guage not sure on the accuracy between the digital and analog. deffinetly not acurate to a radar gun but the guages themselves should be relative to one another within reason.
im not a keyboard racer just posting my observations

Aren't the Everest gauges Digital>? I never heard of a sled with a speedo cable in years... there is a digital counter in the chaincase, and it sends a signal via wire.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good rider with a 121" X 2" will school anyone on the hill. 4 ft of fresh or hardpack, makes no difference. Your uber-long tracks won't save you either. Might as well admit defeat now........

Puff Puff PASS!!:cool:

Top Bottom