best track length for the mountains

trailblazer

Reaction score
Most have 163,many have 154,but i've been told that a 146 will outperform any,in all but the deepest snow(3ft+)More track speed equals more flotation?What's the deal with the rumors,are they true?Also much easier and better for boondocking?

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most have 163,many have 154,but i've been told that a 146 will outperform any,in all but the deepest snow(3ft+)More track speed equals more flotation?What's the deal with the rumors,are they true?Also much easier and better for boondocking?

People have said that for years, but i have never seen it in 12 years of riding the mountains. same rider, same sleds with different lengths, the longer one wins every time.

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all depeneds on what you want to do with it, if your into climbing high go long and if you want the best all around world and like to play in the trees as well i would stick with something mid lenght 151-155.

SKI-D00

Reaction score
Really, if you’re looking at an Xp, boondocking isn’t all that hard for any length of track.
Tree runs aren’t much different from a 146 to a 154 as the tracks aren’t THAT much longer. In my opinion, 151 or 154 are the best all around machine. I mean, you can still climb really well and still be able to maneuver through the pines. Whereas climbing with a 146, unless on packed, you’re not going to catch a 154, but a 154 with a good rider MAY be able to catch a 163. (Hope that made sense?) As far as track speed goes, that all depends on snow conditions, and flotation, there are tons of suspension settings on all those sleds to keep your sled on top of the snow in almost all conditions… But that's just my opinion and it really depends on what you ride the most I guess.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive had and ridden all 3.

i now have a 163 and would never go back. sidehilling is no differant from the 146. turning radius is a bit larger. but this thing eats the 154. and in the deep snow it doesnt even compare

hwoever i would say the 154 is the best all around machine.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's always a balance. 154 is a good all around performer, and even so is the 163. Obviously the bigger you go, the less track speed you will have, but its not that big of a difference on the 163 to the 154. Only in certain setup (less than 3' of powder with a good solid base) snow conditions IMO. I've been around since when the 128" (really long track :D) track was around, then the 133" was a long track, then when 136" was a show stopper and it blew peoples minds that tracks could be that long......Well, here we are 20 yrs later......

We still ran 136" tracks where no stock sled with a 163 or 174 will go today, mainly because of track speed. This is in harder snow conditions and setup snow conditions like mentioned above. In the bottomless stuff its a little different story, my old 136" X 2" would not float as well as a 163 does now, and did trench to China even back then. But it would still have kicked its a$$ in setup snow with a good base. We used to run 136" X 3" plastic paddles and you could climb anything that had some decent traction underneath, since floatation was less of a factor and hooking up with higher track speed to give you more ground speed was the key. The only thing nicer about the longer tracks now in these same scenario's is that the added track keeps you from flipping right over, an advantage that would have really been handy back then.... :D Are you going to notice the difference in track speed of the 154 to the 163 in 3 feet of powder? Probably not. Will you notice it in harder conditions? Maybe. If you do a lot of tree riding the 154 might be nicer for the improved turning radius.

So if you are into riding deep deep stuff and want the floatation, get the longest track IMO. If you want more of the all around sled, the 154 might be a better choice since it offers a little more track speed when the snow isn't super deep and floatation is less of a factor. Track speed does play a role in certain snow conditions, but not all.

Just my $0.02

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my findings the 154 and 163 have the same track speed. gearing compensates and allows the clutches to shift out further compensating for the extra track to spin.

the other thing i like about a 163 is in any situation it gives you some extra leeway as far as speed is concerned. you can slow down alot more for an obstacle and still continue on without trenching to failure. the machine just pulls back on top of the snow and on you go.

some people call it cheating but it opens up new opportunities and terrain.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the spring, a 154 is the best for getting around. IMO. I had a 162,and now have a 154 and find there is better handling, especially in the set up stuff. For deep deep pow, well the 162 was awesome, but I just keep it pinned on my shorter track and it goes almost where I want it.

And also, if you can't make a 154 track spin faster than a 163, there is something wrong.
Longer track=more weight=harder to spin.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right now i have a Renegade 800 and i put a 141x2.25x15 Track on it. Put about 600km on it out in the Mountains. The sled Climbs better than i expected, And its all to do with the track speed in any depth of snow it will spin 90-100KMH. I was out with my buddys who have 04 Rev 151x2.25x16 and a 08 Dragon 700 155x2.4x15 and 09 Summit 146x2.25x16 and it would outclimb these machines all day , on any slope they chose and their experience with riding was better than mine. But their machines how ever would out do mine in any Technical Tree riding, where they could slow down to get around stuff. I had to keep it pinned and had too much speed.

If i was to get another machine it wold be a 154 revxp without a doubt. Maybe in a year or so haha.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the spring, a 154 is the best for getting around. IMO. I had a 162,and now have a 154 and find there is better handling, especially in the set up stuff. For deep deep pow, well the 162 was awesome, but I just keep it pinned on my shorter track and it goes almost where I want it.

And also, if you can't make a 154 track spin faster than a 163, there is something wrong.
Longer track=more weight=harder to spin.

not necesarily. What track speed is your 154 making. I would bet around 50mph. Lower gearing allows clutches to shift out to compensate for a heavier track

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not necesarily. What track speed is your 154 making. I would bet around 50mph. Lower gearing allows clutches to shift out to compensate for a heavier track

Ummm-NO.

lower gearing is just that. Lower ratio=deeper shift=probably very close to the same track speed as what you had before gearing change. your clutches have a better mechanical advantage...thus reducing heat and load,but no real noticeable track speed gain.
There is no way a 163 can get the same track speed as a properly set up 154... stock for stock... no matter what gearing/clutching. If you have a 154 set up to it's best potential, and a 163 to it's best potential, the 163 will have the slower speed. Pure physics.
The clutches hold the motor at it's optimal RPM peak for HP. It's simple. The track is heavier, then it will be slower by a few MPH.

Maxwell, if your statement was true, a 136 would have the same track speed as a 174 That is not the case.;):beer::d

If you want to achieve the same track speed, you need to add ponies to the motor.

Just ask DJ.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not speaking about a 136 and a 174 I'm just saying the difference in track speed from a 154 to. 163 with lower gearing is minimal if any. Whatever is lost is made up with ground speed. I will compare 2 brand new sleds today stock to stock

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the 154" is the best all around track length. that said, I have a 146" and I giggle when guys say to me "how do you get it to wheelie like that? I can't do it with my 154/163..." :D

I have never been unable to go where the longer tracks are going, just doo it with more style....:beer:

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone is getting 50mph with a stock 154 I want to know what your setup is please?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

121" TRACK IS ULTIMATE WITH 3" LUG:d:d:d:d:d

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some people seem to think there summit 154 are incinsible.

i see 45-50 steady on my 163..154 should be around the same

what are you seeing
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

At Elevation?? I don't think so.. Unless you are a buck 20.

We are talking mph, right?

I am getting 45, and that is with a stock motor, and DJ clutching... climbing a hill @ 6000 ft.

Daveb was getting 45 with DJ kit, and SHR 860 on his 163

Top Bottom