Best Techniques for Towing

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need a good pulley, tie the pulley to the dead sled then a rope to two tow sleds. That way the two sleds are always pulling, not like if you used to separate ropes. And if you get to a big hill go up part way and dig a sled in then tie the pulley to that sled hook one end to the dead sled then the other to another good sled and pull down hill. ( hope that make since lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to tow with two sleds. One time with snapped off steering post, hooked my sled bumper to bumper with a 174. On the front of him was a turbo cat hooked on with a sno bunjee. Together they pulled and my sled ( with no one on it) followed along like a lost puppy with no issue, and that was in probably 18" of fresh, and with some up hill to boot. Then once at the trail just a sno bunjee between my sled and the one tow sled, this time with me on it. The sno bunjee is a must as it totally eliminates shock loads. Also I carry 100' of paracord, so if you first wrap each bumper good and tight with that , then lash the sleds together with more paracord, it helps not destroy the bumpers.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I suppose there is a point when the risk of towing and doing damage compared to the cost of a helicopter ride is pretty close. $600 and 30 min later the sled was sitting safely at the airport, also pretty cool to see.

In our group everyone chips in for chopper ride unless it's a simple 1 sled tow downhill and close to the trail. So much cheaper and less fighting over who's paying for the broken parts from towing mishaps. Sled owner buys the beers that night.

kfrey

Reaction score
Good ideas above. I carry a crazy carpet (works good for holding subs too), a couple of double pulleys, and a bunch of long, strong, thin rope. It comes in helpful sometimes. It might have been useful here. Although $600 is a good deal and doesn t risk damage.

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two long ropes one on each spindle so that they can slip back and forth. Tie one end to one sled and the other to another. Repeat on the other spindle. Now as you start pulling if one sled loses traction or slows the other picks up the slack until they even out again.

So four sleds in total pulling. This is mainly for big hills. Works on small hills and flats with 2 sleds. Less strain then just one. Had to use this method to get my 4S cat out of the back of climina.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In our group everyone chips in for chopper ride unless it's a simple 1 sled tow downhill and close to the trail. So much cheaper and less fighting over who's paying for the broken parts from towing mishaps. Sled owner buys the beers that night.

There are times and terrain where this the only viable solution if you have a group that recognizes this you are probably saving a lot damage to sleds trying to pull them thru country that is impassable!! Very good idea

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Packing the trail out multiple times will help. I noticed the T3's are real good at towing in powder.

owen.klassen

Reaction score
I really like the idea of pulling with 2 sleds and a pulley, nice way to get a 2:1 advantage.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled a King Cat out of Avy Alley to the Cabin with an 05 Rev 151, using a crazy carpet and the front bumper lashed to the rear bumper of the Rev. A couple hills I need a shot of nitrous to make it over, and pretty much burnt up my belt dragging the sled out. But I don't know if the newer iron would do the same without significant damage...

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/21/a0e9fb0ef896a3eac806ffc7c02641ee.jpg
Towed a dead pro out with a 15 163 XP. It had the HD bumper. Took off the tail light turned Pro Skis back wards and used a 2 inch ratchet strap through skid on Pro to running boards on Doo . It articulated very well just didn't turn very well. For anyone that knows the Renshaw in Mcbride we toed this sled from Spirit lake and there is some serious terrain to get up and over. It did take some hand pulling and a second tow sled out front in line to get up the real ugly stuff. Took 2 days and made it to the trucks at 1:30 am on the last night No tunnel damage

ive done that exact rescue same way from the same area in one day only we were lucky the snow was set up still really challenging tho

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one of these sitting at home collecting dust. Buddy Tow | Snowmobile Tow System Buddy Tow Never used it but will put it in my trailer. Like the crazy carpet idea but heavier duty. Have a friend of mine tow my sled out backwards with my track strapped on top of his tunnel and the skis turned around. He said it worked good. That when sleds were made strong. The flimsy tunnels on some new sleds would just buckle Im sure.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way that has worked the best for me is from the ski loops to the bumper.

I towed a old cat from way back in the renshaw to the trucks.

Tow them close so the sled being towed slows when you do.

dcd145ff579c805aa355e873986fb819.jpg

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

Top Bottom