Best Techniques for Towing

owen.klassen

Reaction score
Had a sled break down at turtle on Sunday night and tried a bunch of different ways to get it out to no avail. Ended up calling a helicopter in the end. But thought with the infinite knowledge of snow and mud we could decide on the most effective way to tow a sled out. Tried really long rope, tried ski handle tied to bumper but could not get it out. for those of you that are familiar with the area it was one hill past the gulley you have to go through once you get to the top of the ski runs.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never tried the really close coupling or turning the skis around backwards and put the track of the towed sled on the tunnel of the tow sled but the best way I've done it lately is tandem tow with two sleds in line in the lead and a long rope to the sled being towed with a sno bunje in the line. The bunje makes starting a lot easier and removed all the shock load.

BigBuckHunter

Reaction score
We always lash one ski hoop tight to the bumper. Have never had any issues other than smoking the odd belt. Have tried with proper tow rope to the spindles through the ski hoops as well as with snow bungees but always seem to damage something. Up hills nothing works but manpower - walking them up a couple feet at a time with one or two sleds pulling.

owen.klassen

Reaction score
I was thinking 2 sleds one to each steering knuckle and just go with 2 different length straps has anyone tried that? For the close couplings what do you do stop scratching of powder coat, smashing of taillights etc. ?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll never tow a dead sled with just one sled unless on a trail, you'll need two or even three sleds in row to tow it out depending on snow.

Seen a guy put the track on his tunnel and write off his sled, wouldn't try that, the tunnels aren't design for any kind of load.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sled shed had a sleigh I dropped my track in, then used a tow rope to the front bumper. The sleigh made the difference, a lot less drag.

owen.klassen

Reaction score
The sled would be a great way, has anyone used the crazy carpet under the track?

owen.klassen

Reaction score
I suppose there is a point when the risk of towing and doing damage compared to the cost of a helicopter ride is pretty close. $600 and 30 min later the sled was sitting safely at the airport, also pretty cool to see.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always thought it would be a good idea to carry crazy carpets with each sled.You should be able to lash them under the track(work the same as a sled)would make for a much easier pull.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll never tow a dead sled with just one sled unless on a trail, you'll need two or even three sleds in row to tow it out depending on snow.

Seen a guy put the track on his tunnel and write off his sled, wouldn't try that, the tunnels aren't design for any kind of load.
we've done it with an older 144" zx with no damage. I don't think a guy would try it with anything newer or longer without some tunnel bracing.

pics055Medium.jpg

pics056Medium.jpg

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The new light weight sleds don't work very well as tow sleds. Damaged bumpers, tunnels, belts ect. This is just on the sled doing the towing. Belts now a couple hundred. Tunnels and Bumpers being light weight (carbon fibre,etc.). Never mind the damages that can occur to the sled being towed. If it gets tips on its side, cracks the hood or breaks the wind screen. We have learned over the years it just saves money to call the chopper. The new sleds have lots of power. Just too light weight for towing.
Just my two cents worth. Two tweaked tunnels, bent rear bumper and a couple of belts this year in our group from towing.
Last trip, one fellow dropped an engine on lake in turtle. We just had it choppered out.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always thought it would be a good idea to carry crazy carpets with each sled.You should be able to lash them under the track(work the same as a sled)would make for a much easier pull.
Some of the cabins have crazy carpets in them

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chopper was only 600$; thought it would be way more.... almost a nobrainer. If you discuss ahead with the group, if anyone breaks down the group will split the chopper, cheap. Everyone has to be riding newer, reliable sleds.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if my AMA RV card would pay the chopper :) - It doesn't for a snowmobile but does for a motorcycle.

A lot of this really depends on where the sled breaks. If too far off the trail then helicopter makes more sense particularly if it is under $1,000. As pointed out, tweak your tunnel and heat exchanger and that is way more cash.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to say the new viper chassis is pretty damn tough. I drug a poo with completely screwed up a arms on the right side about 70-75km with no damage to the tow sled. Gotta say the poo is light but still tows like a bag of marbles when broke. If I have to tow I prefer my turbo apex as nothing has the brute grunt of a 290 hp 4 stroke, and the original yamaha tunnel is still a pretty stiff piece. Jmo

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X3 on crazy carpets. I've got 2 I always carry. Predrilled with holes along the edges. Hay wire them to the skid. One sled to pull, one sled on the back for brakes. Best way hands down!

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a0e9fb0ef896a3eac806ffc7c02641ee.jpg

Towed a dead pro out with a 15 163 XP. It had the HD bumper. Took off the tail light turned Pro Skis back wards and used a 2 inch ratchet strap through skid on Pro to running boards on Doo . It articulated very well just didn't turn very well. For anyone that knows the Renshaw in Mcbride we toed this sled from Spirit lake and there is some serious terrain to get up and over. It did take some hand pulling and a second tow sled out front in line to get up the real ugly stuff. Took 2 days and made it to the trucks at 1:30 am on the last night No tunnel damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny story about the above pic. We couldn't get this contraption to make a tight corner just before a decent hill so the owner of the Pro was getting pissed and wanted it out so to keep the front end down he stood on both skis backwards and bear hugged the hood and said. Hit it...... It actually worked and looked hilarious. But I don't recommend this method. Lol
If I can find the pic will post it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom