Best snow tire for a 1 ton?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think i may try some bfg at ko2's

That said, its August, winter sucks and i want to move some where warm. Lol.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone siped tires? I have toyo cts and they are a pretty hard tire. I'd like to sipe them
Yeah I siped a set of 36" military's years ago and it helped. I also siped a set of Nokian LT2's that were getting a bit down and I wanted to get a full winter out of them. It helps but not as cheap as it used to be.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be advised that most shops with a siping machine won't touch used tires - any little rocks stuck in the tread wreck the cutting blades. There are tools to do it yourself.

Sessionsdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be advised that most shops with a siping machine won't touch used tires - any little rocks stuck in the tread wreck the cutting blades. There are tools to do it yourself.
You can buy online at different places. I know Trick Tools used to sell tire grooving guns with different sized blades. Think they are the same thing but could be wrong. Im sure there are some tire shop guys on here.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think i may try some bfg at ko2's

That said, its August, winter sucks and i want to move some where warm. Lol.

Check out General grabber very similar tire better wearing and cheaper. And for winter you can stud them. Bought them for my truck and really like them and was way cheaper than ko2

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out General grabber very similar tire better wearing and cheaper. And for winter you can stud them. Bought them for my truck and really like them and was way cheaper than ko2
Earlier in the thread I mentioned the General Arctic LT, had a set of them studded on a 3/4 ton diesel. They were one of the best I’ve ever had.
I ended up with a set of Firestone Winterforce LT studded last year… not the best choice… they felt loose when pulling a trailer

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ill have a look. I just checked on General Artic Lt and they don't come in my size and look like a car tire lol

Im sure they are good on ice. They' d be ok on a work truck..

The BFG's AT KO2 work good on ice for 35 or 37. In revy i slid down the hill backwards with my Toyo CT's with the snow flake. And my friends truck on BFG's walked up it.

Edit: I check on the General Grabber. Ya they look ok. and Those Grabber X3's look good for a summer tire maybe. Think Im going with Toyo MT2's for summer though

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Earlier in the thread I mentioned the General Arctic LT, had a set of them studded on a 3/4 ton diesel. They were one of the best I’ve ever had.
I ended up with a set of Firestone Winterforce LT studded last year… not the beat choice… they felt loose when pulling a trailer

Wife had the winter force on her 3/4 ton they were ok at best.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ill have a look. I just checked on General Artic Lt and they don't come in my size and look like a car tire lol

Im sure they are good on ice. They' d be ok on a work truck..

The BFG's AT KO2 work good on ice for 35 or 37. In revy i slid down the hill backwards with my Toyo CT's with the snow flake. And my friends truck on BFG's walked up it.

Edit: I check on the General Grabber. Ya they look ok. and Those Grabber X3's look good for a summer tire maybe. Think Im going with Toyo MT2's for summer though

Was going to get the ko2 for my truck because I know they work good in winter. Chrisco said these are a better tire. So I’ll see how they work. I know they’re going to wear good. Had them for 8000km and could still see the tits on the treads. That was my concern with the ko2 they don’t last the best.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was going to get the ko2 for my truck because I know they work good in winter. Chrisco said these are a better tire. So I’ll see how they work. I know they’re going to wear good. Had them for 8000km and could still see the tits on the treads. That was my concern with the ko2 they don’t last the best.

Let us know how they work. The Toyo CT's that Ive ran the past 10 years (not the same set lol) for winter's last good. But they are a bit too hard for ice I think.

Softer tire is going to give better traction, but not last as long. That's my theory at least haha

You can stud the CT's though. So might do that instead. But on dry pavement studs suck. so its a toss up.

Last edited:

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dragging this one up from the dead.

Anyone still running the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's? Do you still like them?

I'm almost due for a new set of tires and I'm having a b!tch of a time finding anything else in a 37x12.5r18. (Don't really want to go to a 13.5 due to running 9" wide rims). They'd be run year round, I don't run dedicated winters on my 1 ton.

Or if someone knew where I could get/order a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 37x11.5r18, I'd even be happy to wait a few months, just want them by the end of October.
The Falkens are a great tire, ive had 4-5 sets on my trucks (1500,2500,3500) all 275/70/18.. Great tire life 90,000km ish

Also have a couple of my buddies that run lots of miles with eaves troughing trailers on run em and have no issues and get great tire life.

Have a set of nitto exo grapplers on my heavy halfton right now that I have been very happy with, bit of tire noise, more of a light hum than a drone. Have 60,000 km on them, and they worked well in the winter. 275/70/18 as well.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you run lots of gravel the general grabbers don't last, same with the KO2's, I only got about 35,000km out of both those tires.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"General Arctic LT, had a set of them studded on a 3/4 ton diesel. They were one of the best I’ve ever had."

Same...on my one ton.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you pick the rocks yourself they'll usually do them. It's a ch!t job though.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One issue with the general arctic LT is limited tire sizes, maybe that will change with time.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty common with winter tires as a general thing.
Very true, i wish the "3 peak" designation wasn't such a broad range of tires. They need to come out with a new designation or make much tighter specs to have it.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Falkens are a great tire, ive had 4-5 sets on my trucks (1500,2500,3500) all 275/70/18.. Great tire life 90,000km ish

Also have a couple of my buddies that run lots of miles with eaves troughing trailers on run em and have no issues and get great tire life.

Have a set of nitto exo grapplers on my heavy halfton right now that I have been very happy with, bit of tire noise, more of a light hum than a drone. Have 60,000 km on them, and they worked well in the winter. 275/70/18 as well.

I went to order the Falkens this morning, but the tire shop managed to find a set of Toyo RT Trails so I'm going to try those, they are similar to the Nitto Ridge Grapplers I'm running but with a treadlife warranty.

I liked my Nittos but the tread was soft and they wore quickly, which I've been told is more common on the imperial sizes. They don't have tread warranty unlike the metric sizes.

Top Bottom