Best snow tire for a 1 ton?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
review on my nokian hakkapeliitta i put on my Duramax with sled deck. I got the studded version from the factory with the triangular carbide studs.

Carbide corners chip off, on the front side, back side remains fairly sharp.

Seem to handle ice well, but don't work as well in the deeper snow like the duratrac did. Not enough bite.

smooth tire on the highway definitely a fan of that, been on loud vibrating tires for too long.

Wear is quite rapid. Had them on my truck for the winter, put on probably 10,000km. And the two tires on the back are down to 60%. Front tires were replaced by the shop because they screwed up on the wheel alignment and gave them bad cupping so they have half the KM and they're down to 80%. I don't think they like the added weight of a sled deck with two sleds on it.

In my opinion, if you're not driving far distances on them, and not in deep snow. They'd be a good winter tire. But my next set, i'm going back to a duratrac studded. Overall i feel they performed comparatively in the ice when new, but better in the snow. I sipped the tires myself once the tread got lower and it made a huge improvement. If you're like me and driving up snow covered logging roads happens often. I'd look at something like the Duratrax or Katani/Centennial Trail Hog, thats the tire i'll be getting back into for my next set.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever try Venom Trail Hunter R/T’s? Looking at a set for the 1 ton. They look good, they are studdable , the tread pattern is kind of like a ko2. And $1320 tax in shipped to my door is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever try Venom Trail Hunter R/T’s? Looking at a set for the 1 ton. They look good, they are studdable , the tread pattern is kind of like a ko2. And $1320 tax in shipped to my door is awesome

Just picked up two sets for me and a buddy to try out, tread pattern is very close to toyo open country AT3'S which we run on our crew trucks and do fairly well in the winter.
i just counldn't justify $22-2400 for a set of winter 35's that im gonna put 10-12k a winter on. Ill be taking them in to get put on wheels next week, that will be the first test is how they balance out.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up two sets for me and a buddy to try out, tread pattern is very close to toyo open country AT3'S which we run on our crew trucks and do fairly well in the winter.
i just counldn't justify $22-2400 for a set of winter 35's that im gonna put 10-12k a winter on. I’ll be taking them in to get put on wheels next week, that will be the first test is how they balance out.
Here they are beside a toyo AT3 for comparison

Attachments

• IMG_2909.jpeg
    IMG_2909.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 71468108460__AEBEBD85-60B4-40A4-B6CB-941A63C8D066.jpeg
    71468108460__AEBEBD85-60B4-40A4-B6CB-941A63C8D066.jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 101

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of compromise being made here in a thread with "best snow tire" in the title.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There must be another thread buried somewhere because I went through this one and didn’t find a post of mine.
I will add my thoughts to this thread. Winter tires are definitely special and some are better in snow and on ice than others. Apparently, it is very hard to find a brand that is good at both.
I run and have run factory studded Nokian Haks for quite a few years on my F350’s . They are great on the highway (relatively quiet) and handle the black ice well, IMHO. In the winter (November through March), generally I am hauling 2 sleds on pavement and some distances on logging roads. With the thaw/freeze cycles that we get in BC, studded tires are definitely an asset. The wear factor isn't a concern and I can get 4-5 winters out of a set.
I do not like them for snow. Getting to a staging area early before anything is plowed or on a logging road that is unplowed, I find them just a touch above a poor all season radial and that isn’t say much.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here they are beside a toyo AT3 for comparison

A buddy on my crew at work has them on his 3/4 ton…… apparently I never noticed what tires he has and I park right beside his truck everyday at work lol. He never studded them but said they were great last winter and has no complaints. 20k on them so far and they look to be wearing decently well

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy on my crew at work has them on his 3/4 ton…… apparently I never noticed what tires he has and I park right beside his truck everyday at work lol. He never studded them but said they were great last winter and has no complaints. 20k on them so far and they look to be wearing decently well

Had Toyo AT3's on one of my one tons. Thought I could run them in the winter. Sometimes good in snow...not on ice.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with the blizzak LT, 3 winters ago, I went into kal tire for the nokian LT3 he sold me on the blizzaks (had stock VS order in) i love them, have close to 30K on them now and they are still around 50% ill run them for this winter and then probably just wont switch rims next summer and burn them off, ive had the nokian LT2 and they were awesome but they do wear fast

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have those for summer. They do not stop well on ice! 😬

I've been running Nitto Ridge Grapplers, which are pretty much the same tire, for 4 years now.

They're not the same as studded winters, but I honestly don't find them that bad.

I'm assuming you would have had the Nitto's as well. These are Toyo RT Trail, they just came out, it's the first set my tire shop had seen.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been running Nitto Ridge Grapplers, which are pretty much the same tire, for 4 years now.

They're not the same as studded winters, but I honestly don't find them that bad.

I'm assuming you would have had the Nitto's as well. These are Toyo RT Trail, they just came out, it's the first set my tire shop had seen.
Look the same as my Toyo open country rt’s.

Trail?

They have worn faster than I expected for only summer miles.

Top Bottom