Best shop wheels

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to need some shop wheels for the sled I have coming. Where do you get the good ones again? Not the ones that just come off and are a total pain to use.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a dolly we built 10 years ago from some scrap we had laying around. its very heavy and could be made alot lighter. works pretty well but should extend the handle as it was built when a 136 was a long track.

ill add the pictures for thedolly later. phone wont let me resize pictures.

ive also built a half dozen sets of these for friends and family. all wheels have bearings. I have a fairly rough gravel drive and these are the only dollied that work. ive road tested them to 35 mph :)

Attachments

• post-1328-0-63055100-1398689275.jpg
    post-1328-0-63055100-1398689275.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
saw these in Princess Auto yesterday, and they looked good. They have rubber on so the skis don't slide off. Heavy looking material and 4 wheels per.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
saw these in Princess Auto yesterday, and they looked good. They have rubber on so the skis don't slide off. Heavy looking material and 4 wheels per.

Those ones are garbage got a set the casters are too small

oiljunkie

Reaction score
Yeah Purchased the ones from BRP, for my summit and if the front skis are not sitting just Perfect, they'll slide off. A real Pain!

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The princess auto one are complete garabage. BRP ones are decent for the show room floor. Buddy of mine bought some from Rec Supply last year and I was amazed at how well they worked. The Ski dollies are a fair bit longer than the princess ones and don't tip over. Casters are of way better quality and actually can handle some garbage on the floor. Will probably be buying another set or two for the shop this year.

Last edited:

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the ones from Princess Auto. They are junk but I made 1 set from 2 with some angle from work and they work not bad now. bought some from Costco and they work alot better than the PA dollies.

coolcam

Reaction score
These are the best I've used. From Costco. But, don't get me wrong, they're all crap

Built the stand last year. It's all I use now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Oops, well I stand corrected, guess never looked close enough according to recent comments. The ones I have look very similar and work pretty good. They roll over misc debris without getting stuck or sled sliding off. So you guys made me go look in the garage, and I notice mine have bigger wheels that are made of some kind of soft rubber.

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
timbersled used to make an awesome set expensive but worked so well that Allen said lots of guys use them on the trail for spring access instead of trashing their skis

they are called the all terrain wheel kit $450

Last edited:

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw this setup while I was surfing the other day. Looks like it might work quite well.

Below is his write up:

I was looking at the video of the Sledez dolly and was thinking I could make something similar. The Sledez looks slick as heck but I'm sure not going to pay $300+ for one. My 3 piece dollies are junk so here's what I did:

-- Treated 2x10x12. 50" wide for front and approx 6.25ft long beam. I made them mortise and tenon with a router a bit, along with wood screws of course.
-- 2 swivel casters (2.5" metal) on each end of the front and 2 in the back (used router to recess them a little).

I cut a lot of wood out to lose some weight and it turned out really good. Drive on, drive off and with the studs in my track it's a snap. I bet it would work the same way without studs too. The dolly moves around with ease while loaded up and goes over the transition between my garage and driveway no problem. I also put a rope on the front but it isn't shown in the first 2 pictures. Less than 2 hours of time, $25 for the 6 casters and $10 for the treated 2x10x12. $35 vs $300+, you do the math.

Attachments

• Image_8_.jpg
    Image_8_.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 246
  • Image_9_.jpg
    Image_9_.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 250

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Those look pretty slick.I'm just gonna build a wooden cross and bolt on my chitty PA dollies.
I saw this setup while I was surfing the other day. Looks like it might work quite well.

Below is his write up:

I was looking at the video of the Sledez dolly and was thinking I could make something similar. The Sledez looks slick as heck but I'm sure not going to pay $300+ for one. My 3 piece dollies are junk so here's what I did:

-- Treated 2x10x12. 50" wide for front and approx 6.25ft long beam. I made them mortise and tenon with a router a bit, along with wood screws of course.
-- 2 swivel casters (2.5" metal) on each end of the front and 2 in the back (used router to recess them a little).

I cut a lot of wood out to lose some weight and it turned out really good. Drive on, drive off and with the studs in my track it's a snap. I bet it would work the same way without studs too. The dolly moves around with ease while loaded up and goes over the transition between my garage and driveway no problem. I also put a rope on the front but it isn't shown in the first 2 pictures. Less than 2 hours of time, $25 for the 6 casters and $10 for the treated 2x10x12. $35 vs $300+, you do the math.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Below is his write up:

Super glides have a similar set up and looks like it would work good!

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had the best luck with these. Only problem is the chitty cables on the ski dollies.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are the best I've used. From Costco. But, don't get me wrong, they're all crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i have the costco ones, i ran 15" 2x2s on each side of the ski ones and a 2x2 stacked on another 2x2 on the rear to go between the lugs. the rails sit on the 2x2. and i use a strap going from handle to handle over the spindle to keep the ski ones from firing across the floor. It works 10 times better than the way they came.

Top Bottom